jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We did New York! and Loved it! Day Three

Saturday

Day three

Another fairly restless night – why oh why can’t my body adjust quicker to the time change. Looked out of my window to check the view and the weather. The sun was shining but it looked cold!

Luckily John was on his laptop early so I had a nice long chat with him on skype before Barbara came to the room to have her chat with David, her husband.
Then breakfast – today we decided to eat in the restaurant in the hotel, La Pigalle. It was a bit expensive but we felt lazy to start the day and it was bitterly cold outside. To be fair it was lovely and we felt quite comfortable there and enjoyed it. Didn’t enjoy their breakfast potatoes though so substituted them for mushrooms and that was great. Then we wrapped up with our thermals on and our woolly hats and off we went to Times Square to catch the bus for the second day.

Boy did we need them – it was below freezing today – 26 degrees on one of the hoardings as we passed it later in the day. We were still feeling brave and sat upstairs outside! The only other people to be brave up top with us were of course more British tourists! The wind was soooooo cold but I wanted to see everything.
Passed the Empire State Building again

Then past a fence full of photos of the people lost during 9/11. Very moving.

Passing lots of lovely buildings

And I just loved the police car!

We saw the bull from the bus. We managed to miss it yesterday when we walked along that way.

continued...

Clarion Inn formerly Comfort Inn LBV twice a year since 1991
jeanwales is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 08, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
We stayed on the bus right through to South Street and arrived there about 9.30. Nothing opened till 10 so we wandered round looking at the Brooklyn Bridge and the tall boats and found somewhere open for a coffee to warm us up! This area was an amazing sight and I loved the views of the tall ships against the skyscrapers. Out of the wind the weather was lovely but that wind bit your cheeks off. The sun was shining which made the skyscrapers gleam and I loved the views.

We strolled round the shops and managed to buy our ‘I heart New York’ t shirts there. They were 3 for $10 but seemed a better quality than some we had seen. Then we caught the bus for the Brooklyn loop tour – the idea being we caught it over to the other side then walked across the bridge back to Manhattan. Once again being brave and not wanting to miss anything we were upstairs. We both loved this tour. It was interesting and there was a lot of history on the way round. We got some great views back across into Manhattan and the guide we had was really interesting and there was a lot to see on the tour.

jeanwales is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 08, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews

Our guide asked did anyone want to get off on the way round or go right round the loop, we put our hands up saying we wanted to walk back across the bridge but when we got to the stop for our walk across the guide asked if we still wanted to get off and walk the bridge, but we were both soooo cold we couldn’t feel any part of our body and decided it would be stupid to walk so we chickened out and stayed on the bus.
Got back and dived for shelter into the food part of pier 17 and we had a great soup and pizza followed by a mixed berry crepe.

It was lovely but far too much for the middle of the day. We sat with a great view of the Brooklyn bridge and we could see the people walking across it and how open it looked so I think we were both quietly relieved that we had decided not to do this walk. It was great to just relax by the river and people watch.

Old 1 Dec 08, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
We walked up Fulton Street and had a look round there then back down for the circle line boat trip which was included in our loop tour. This was an added bonus that we did not know about till we picked our tickets up so was unplanned. The tour is an hour long and went round as far as the Empire State Building then back close up to the Statue of Liberty. We just missed one boat and made sure we were near the front of the line going on so we managed to get a nice table inside (sensible at last!) but near the door for me to keep popping out to take pics.

Once again a great guide who was so informative and we really loved this one. Felt quite special getting so close to the Statue of Liberty and came back feeling a nice warm glow inside while instantly cold again when we got ashore. We decided to get the bus straight back to Times Square (sat downstairs this time) and the plan had been to eat and then to go on the night tour on the bus to see everything lit up …………….but the drive to Times square took an hour and a half and we were both starting to nod off as it was really warm downstairs on the bus. I realised that there was no way I fancied sitting on another bus for an hour or so doing the night tour as I would want to be upstairs in the freezing cold and said I something to Barbara worried I was letting her down, but thank goodness she said she didn’t want to go but was going for my sake! We should know each other well enough by now but neither of us wanted to let the other down. So we got off the bus and walked back to the hotel, the wind really cutting into us by now. Got to Barbara’s room and debated what to do. We just didn’t feel like going far so we decided just to eat in the hotel then have an early night in the hope we would sleep.
So down we trotted to La Pigalle, a French restaurant, thinking we could probably get some plain food and not just escargot! But to be honest we really weren’t that hungry after our big lunch and didn’t fancy anything but I found a fairly plain looking but expensive chicken. We sat and no one came to take a drink order or anything so we just looked at each other and said shall we try somewhere across the road and off we went! Now once over there, not wanting to walk far none of the local menus really appealed so we said blow it – Olympic diner here we come for a sort of snack meal to just tide us over. I had chicken and fries with a delicious turkey soup to start and Barbara had salmon sandwich and fries. To be honest we didn’t do it justice, too tired I think, so off we trotted to our rooms for a long soak in the bath to get our body temperature back to normal and to relax for the next day praying that wind wouldn’t be as cold as were out on the Hudson river on the duck next day!

Old 1 Dec 08, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post

Again fantastic pics - I love South Street Seaport - have bought lots of great things here over the years. I did a tour of Brooklyn many years back and found it really ineresting. The boat trip is a good way to see the Statue! You are so lucky - want to go back right now. The weather is fantastic - it always seem to be at this time of the year! Bitterley cold, but sunshine and blue skies!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 08, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post

Jean, another fantastic report with lovely photos. It takes my body about 4 days to adjust to being in the USA. When we did a week in WDW recently, my body was just starting to adjust to the time difference and it was time to come home.
Old 1 Dec 08, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadAng
Imagineer

I really enjoyed reading another day of your trip We didn't make it to the seaport last year so hoping to get there in 2009. It was lovely to see your photos of it all.

Did you book your bus tour before you left home? Would you let me know who you booked it with - I like the sound of it all.
DisneyMadAng is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 08, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Another great trip report Jean. I know what you mean about the cold.
That night tour on top of the bus is'nt for everyone. Great pictures.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 08, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Another great day Jean. The free boat trip was really good, we enjoyed it especially seeing the Statue of Liberty up close.
Old 1 Dec 08, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Jean, your photo's are fantastic. Thank you for taking the time to do the report