Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 21 May 09, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by merkat View Post
Hey Danny

Can you tell me what the drive is like to universal i'm a tad nervous of driving although it will be my boyfriend who is driving but i organise directions and stuff, we will be going to Universal the day after we arrive so i'm thinking we will be up early (jet lag and all) so do you think early is better? x
hiya ,traffic is normally a nightmare in LA its not somewhere i enjoy driving to be honest. the freeways can be very confusing,id suggest if you can to take sat nav with you,i know i couldnt have got by without mine,my other half is useless at mapreading and saved so many arguements.your first day will be a good time to go universal,as you will be awake so early youll miss all the traffic,its not that far to drive about 35 ish miles, the normal problem is the traffic,but leaving nice and early will be fine
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 09, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
merkat
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by danny View Post
hiya ,traffic is normally a nightmare in LA its not somewhere i enjoy driving to be honest. the freeways can be very confusing,id suggest if you can to take sat nav with you,i know i couldnt have got by without mine,my other half is useless at mapreading and saved so many arguements.your first day will be a good time to go universal,as you will be awake so early youll miss all the traffic,its not that far to drive about 35 ish miles, the normal problem is the traffic,but leaving nice and early will be fine
Thanks Danny, the car hire place charge about £100 for satnav but i might see if they will through it in for free, wish me luck ha x
Old 21 May 09, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
carys
Imagineer

carys's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I was worrying about this exact same thing and I switched to 7 nights anaheim and cut down our san diego stay which I regret now I may look at a motel for a couple of nights elsewhere maybe chuck a bag in the boot with our bits and pieces and see if we can stop somewhere if we fancy it ? As to Satnav , would it be better for me to find a way to download the maps onto mine or to rent the satnav there do you think ?
Old 21 May 09, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by carys View Post
I was worrying about this exact same thing and I switched to 7 nights anaheim and cut down our san diego stay which I regret now I may look at a motel for a couple of nights elsewhere maybe chuck a bag in the boot with our bits and pieces and see if we can stop somewhere if we fancy it ? As to Satnav , would it be better for me to find a way to download the maps onto mine or to rent the satnav there do you think ?
just download the maps onto your one if you can.depending what kind you have.i use tomtom and it was really easy to download the maps off there site onto the device new maps have just come out on tom tom,they bring them out usually every 3 months and for the USA western region its £34.95. they do sometimes have sales on usually when a new map is due so you can get them cheaper.its not really too long time wise to get around from anaheim to hollywood ,universal ,the beaches etc as long as your not travelling in the rush hours so go early or after 10 and come back before 3 or after 8ish
Old 21 May 09, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by merkat View Post
Thanks Danny, the car hire place charge about £100 for satnav but i might see if they will through it in for free, wish me luck ha x
sat nav is so cheap now there is no point renting one.walmart for example do a tomtom one with the complete usa/canada maps installed for $99.99 .unless you got one here then just download the maps onto your own one
Old 21 May 09, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
carys
Imagineer

carys's Reviews
Still nervous of how to download maps on to my tom tom I am sure I will mess it up !
Old 21 May 09, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by carys View Post
Still nervous of how to download maps on to my tom tom I am sure I will mess it up !
just goto tom toms website and download a program called tomtom home, it installs on your pc.you should have a usb cable with your tom tom that you plug into your pc and into the bottom of the tom tom .it has a feature where by it automatically downloads all the latest updates and satellite positions and installs it on your tomtom. once HOME is installed make sure you do a backup of your tomtom onto your pc,you will see its quite easy to do once tomtom home is running.once you done all that you can just buy the map you need and download it through tomtom home and it installs for you.depending on the tomtom model you have you might have to buy a bigger memory card if it uses one or even delete the uk map if it doesn't,hense why u need to copy the contents of your tomtom onto your pc before you do anything.it does sound complicated but once you have tom tom home installed it is a lot easier than it sounds,and the program does almost everything for you
Old 21 May 09, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
carys
Imagineer

carys's Reviews
Thanks Danny I will give that a go as we are doing alot of driving .
Old 21 May 09, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post

is santa monica a good centralplace to stay in LA? for beach/universal/hollywood?
Old 22 May 09, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Harry
Imagineer

Harry's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
In our upcoming 17 dayer to California we are staying for 6 days in Fullerton (about 5 mins from Anaheim)... have been told that you can do Universal Studios and Hollywood (chinesse theatre etc) all in one long day... so it will hopefully only be the one trip in the car for us. Otherwise we have three days at Disney and two days chilling at Huntingdon beach etc before making our way up the H1 and the Big Sur.

"... he is moving like a TREMENDOUS machine... "
Harry is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread