Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 26 Jul 10, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post

Great report and loved all your photos brought back loads of memories of my trips up north. We used to love stopping at the Green Welly on our way to Oban. Stayed at the Coylumbridge many years ago, lovely hotel with yummy food.

Hope Scott's finger is ok, my stomach churned reading that bit!

Hope you enjoyed your Ginger, that made me laugh not heard that for a long time.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 10, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Borderbairn
Imagineer

Great trip report. Like others have said there is so much to see and do in our own country if only there wasn't so much liquid sunshine. You have really inspired me to make the effort and go up north

Southern Dunes 2006 & 2007 Highlands Reserve & Hard Rock Hotel May & Sep 2008 The Sanctuary West Haven 2009 Freedom of the Seas & Doubletree Resort 2010 Highlands Reserve May 2012 Windsor Hills 2014 New York 2016
Borderbairn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 10, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
TrueBlue
Imagineer

TrueBlue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by coastergirls View Post
Hi Marion glad you had a great time despite the unexpected visit to the doctors surgery. That is my neck of the woods. My aunt worked in the gift shop now closed at Coylum. My cousin works as receptionist at doctors surgery . Glad you were taken care of there . Have had reason to visit it ourselves when we have been back home for a visit. My mother worked at landmark for about 20 years if not longer and has just retired . Family are scattered around Carrbridge, Aviemore Boat of Garten and surrounding area.
We go up for a weekend or a few days very infrequently and take it all for granted .Suspect you stopped off at Loch Morlich on your way back to hotel. It is a lovely spot on a hot summers day.
Boat of Garten has Steam railway. You can get on at Aviemore and take train to Broomhill . Although I prefer to get on at my home village of Bloat of Garten and travel to Aviemore or Broomhill.
Lots more to do and lots of lovely walks and cycle runs.
I have loads of friends who go to Aviemore and Carrbridge more than I do and they have a great time. Perhaps if we didn't stay with family and did the tourist things we would appreciate it more.
I suppose you must see a different side to it by staying with family rather than being a typical tourist (like me! lol) But still it must be nice knowing you have so many family and friends in that area.

I didn't realise it was a doctors surgery we were at. The manager at our hotel told us the taxi driver was taking us to A&E and when we went in we went through doors signposted for A&E plus they had an xray room etc in it too. If it's a doctors surgery then I wish mines was like that lol
TrueBlue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 10, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
TrueBlue
Imagineer

TrueBlue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by shirley View Post
Fab piccies we are a bit like you see more of other countries and never venture in our own bit. hope the "sare finger" get better soon.
Thanks Shirley...his 'sare finger' is getting better by the day

Originally Posted by purple myra View Post
Great trippy and fab photos. You certainly got the best of the weather ( the only two dry days in the last MONTH! ) ...your trip brings back memories of our wee highland fling. Love the huge breakfasts at the Green Welly Stop. Etive Mor ( the perfectly triangular mountain ) and Rannoch Moor are favourites of mine, I love the drive across there and into Glencoe. It's pretty in the summer, but my best memory of it was on New years eve.
Callander, Loch Lubnaig and Loch Earn are the stamping grounds from when I was a child, we had a caravan in the Gart in Callander for years and then later Loch Earn and Pitlochry were our camping destinations.
Hope Scotty's finger is better... can't even look at the photos and I had to skim over the details Ramsay's looking good in his harness
Thanks for reminding me of the name of the 'pointy' mountain! Etive Mor You must have had loads of fun on your holidays when you were younger... some gorgeous places you camped at Think we should arrange a wee Dibb meet up at the Green Welly Stop

Originally Posted by anniee View Post
Great report Marion. I love Aviemore and the scenery on the drive up is fab. We like to stop at Pitlochry on the way up and the place beside Blair Atholl (can't remember the name at the mo) on the way back down.

Hope Scott is feeling better soon.

A xx
Do you go up the A9 then Ann? It's so much nicer going up the A82...the scenery is stunning. We were meant to pop into Pitlochry and Blair Atholl on the way back down but just came straight home because of Scott's finger... maybe the next time

Originally Posted by JamboJack View Post
Fab report and pics Marion! I am another who hasn't seen enough of 'oor' country! I think the furthest up I've been is Pitlochry! If only we could get decent flipping weather, which you managed to do, then we probably wouldn't need to go anywhere else.

Hope Scot's finger is healing up nicely.

xx
Lesley...you really should head a bit further north, you don't know what you're missing and i'm sure Jack would love Landmark Park

Originally Posted by SaraCat View Post
Wow! it is stunning! We keep promising ourselves a tour of the highlands as we only make it as far north as Kelty visiting the in laws. Maybe next year will be the year we finally make it.
Hope you make a wee trip next year Sara

Originally Posted by ElaineD View Post
Great report and loved all your photos brought back loads of memories of my trips up north. We used to love stopping at the Green Welly on our way to Oban. Stayed at the Coylumbridge many years ago, lovely hotel with yummy food.

Hope Scott's finger is ok, my stomach churned reading that bit!

Hope you enjoyed your Ginger, that made me laugh not heard that for a long time.
lol about the Ginger... hope it brought back some memories of Scotland for you Elaine

Originally Posted by Borderbairn View Post
Great trip report. Like others have said there is so much to see and do in our own country if only there wasn't so much liquid sunshine. You have really inspired me to make the effort and go up north
It's true about the 'liquid sunshine'...if we had better weather i'd spend much more time touring scotland (and England/wales and Ireland)
TrueBlue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 10, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
patm
Imagineer

patm's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I have seen Landmark advertised and have wonndered if it was worth a visit. It looks like it is!
Last week we were over Elie, fantastic beach kids had a great time. They even got to kayak for an hour!
We have explored some parts of Scotland, but should make an effort to do some more!
Glad you had a great time, despite your poor sons finger
Pat
patm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 10, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Poor DS, good on him though with all the climbing later on in the day. We went to Loch Lomond this year and stayed overnight, it was the most relaxing place I have ever visited.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 10, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
pluto66
Imagineer

Your poor son! I know all the places you have taken photos off but your photos make them look much nicer!
Old 3 Aug 10, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
kevbrydon
VIP Dibber

kevbrydon's Reviews
What a really enjoyable trip report... we have stayed at the Great Glen campsite near Fort William and did the cable car and ate at the cafe at the top many years ago... have just bought a brand new Touring Caravan ( had one a few years back ) and have booked to go right up to Portnadoran near Arisaig with friends who also have a Tourer... looking forward to driving through Glencoe in the Summer as last time it was in January... thanks for sharing and we too have decided to holiday in this country...we have been going to Florida twice a year for the last few years, but will just go once a year and tour this lovely country we have here..
Old 3 Aug 10, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
taffgirl
Imagineer

taffgirl's Reviews
Fabulous photos! OOOOOOO, your DSs finger ouch, ouch, ouch I hope he's feeling better now.

My brother lives not far from you - in Aberdour.

We love Scotland

March 2000 - Ramada (as was) International Drive
October 2005 - Quality II - Not nice!
March 2007 - Renaissance at Seaworld - Fantastic!
May 2009 - Renaissance at Seaworld - Even better than before!
taffgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 10, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
granmags
Imagineer

granmags's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Marion - fabulous photo's of your trip

we've been to most of the places you went and agree that we live in a beautiful country! We used to go camping a lot when the kids were wee so have seen a lot of lovely places. I enjoyed your pics from the gondola at the Nevis range - can't get DH in one of them - we just did a bit of walking up there. Haven't been to the Landmark centre for years - it certainly looks to have improved.
Glad you had a fab time and hope that your son's poor finger is healing well- ouch!
That fair cheered me up - and loved the underwear pics from the Green Welly shop perfectly named - brilliant

I MAY NOT BE RICH OR FAMOUS BUT I DO HAVE PRICELESS GRANDCHILDREN
granmags is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List