Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 21 Aug 12, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Diamonddog2801
Imagineer

I think the mistake of starting in Las Vegas and working back to say LA or SF is one of the more common ones - it's regrettable and easy to do because, until the reasons for doing it the other way around are pointed out to you, they really aren't that obvious. Just to recap :

a) It's better to go from cooler to hot. It means you don't start in that scorching Vegas desert heat and is easier on your body after the jet lag. It also means you can actualy get more of the sun, because you can tan more naturally.
b) SF is expensive - you get that cost over with first up.
c) The drive from SF to LA (as opposed to the other way) is nicer - you are driving into heat and, more importantly, you are on the right (west) side of the road - the views are better from there than inland (whilst driving).
d) LA & San Diego are warmer and you've got the big drive out of the way now.
e) When you get to Vegas you've had the heat of LA/SD on you already, so you're less likely to frazzle!
f) This is a big one if you don't have kids(!)- you can only risk on the tables what money you have left! And you can only party what you can manage, without it affecting your ongoing holiday!

Worth bearing in mind.
Diamonddog2801 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 12, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
They play Bon Jovi during the light show? I'm so there next year lol
They did that night We came out of the Golden Nugget after seeing Gordie Brown and Livin' on a Prayer kicked in. Very cool to see the laser show to that song.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 12, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post

I don't know about the transport system because in 4 visits i've used a bus once, taxi about 4 times and the monorail a few times, we mostly walk or use the car.
I think there is a goodish transportation system in place in Vegas which with some research can help you get around fairly easily BUT it does struggle with demand at peak times. As I said on the thread a week or so back we quite comfortably got from the Strip down to Town Square, South Premium Outlets and then back up to Downtown LV and North Premium Outlets. I did even look into getting a bus over to the Palms/Rio area and then back from the Orleans, again, the schedule is in place and with some planning it can be done but we opted for taxis in the end for quickness.

At the end of the day and as we have agreed on in the past, if you want to stick to the Strip, use good old walking power. That doesn't cost anything, well apart from a lot of energy and a drink or two on the way.
Old 22 Aug 12, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post

I recall being delighted to find the valet parking for the, Bellagio I think, so easily and thinking we were then set for the fountains and Ceasars Palace forum shops (Cheesecake Factory)... only to be advised that there was another valet parking area that was closer and that we would be better off driving there!

And that was just one hotel... Don't think we fully appreciated (despite some very good advice from the regulars on here!) until we got there that some of the hotels are the same size as a market town in the UK!

Agree that walking is probably the best option, but maybe not if you are visiting in the height of summer!

Edited at 12:22 PM.
Old 22 Aug 12, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

They play Bon Jovi during the light show? I'm so there next year lol
They did when we were there too, and Queen. You can see what is on at what time here:

vegasexperience/#/entertainment/
Glee Fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 12, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Diamonddog2801
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mickiengland View Post
Don't think we fully appreciated (despite some very good advice from the regulars on here!) until we got there that some of the hotels are the same size as a market town in the UK!

No harm in finding out the hard way...

I always remember telling my daughters how big the hotels were - they were young and I tried to find a good comparison. We had previously stayed at the Travelodge Maingate in Orlando - at 340 rooms, it was the biggest Travelodge in the world. We were staying at The Flamingo first time they went to Vegas - I said "You remember The Travelodge? The hotel in Vegas will be TEN TIMES the size of that!". Which was quite difficult for them to get their heads around. But when we turned up and they actually SAW the place - wow. They couldn't believe it - and The Flamingo is actually quite compact. I still cannot believe just how big these places are - as you say...
4000 rooms (say, The Luxor), average of 1.5 people per room, 90% occupancy...that's 5400 guests (and that's an average, not a maximum) plus around 1600 staff at any one time...you're talking of 7000 people in a hotel. That's an amazing figure, when you think of it, isn't it?
Diamonddog2801 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 12, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by ju_itfc View Post
They did that night We came out of the Golden Nugget after seeing Gordie Brown and Livin' on a Prayer kicked in. Very cool to see the laser show to that song.
I love Bon Jovi.. they were playing at the MGM in 06 when we were there, but i couldn't go as we had the kids with us.. Then last yr we went without the kids and Bon Jovi were there the week after us ... i was gutted lol..

Not a fan of Freemont but i might be persuaded to give it ago now lol

Originally Posted by Glee Fan View Post
They did when we were there too, and Queen. You can see what is on at what time here:

vegasexperience/#/entertainment/

Thankyou i'll check that out.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 12, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Diamonddog2801 View Post
I still cannot believe just how big these places are - as you say... 4000 rooms (say, The Luxor), average of 1.5 people per room, 90% occupancy...that's 5400 guests (and that's an average, not a maximum) plus around 1600 staff at any one time...you're talking of 7000 people in a hotel. That's an amazing figure, when you think of it, isn't it?
Without a doubt. Luxor was our first ever hotel in Vegas and I had never seen anything like it. I think the biggest hotel we had stayed in prior to that was the Rosen Center on International Drive, not a small hotel by any means but completely dwarfed by the Luxor.

The thing is you get very used to staying in these properties in Vegas. I don't buy the 'too big' 'too impersonal' comments when a restaurant in a hotel (Diego @ MGM Grand) with 5000+ rooms is specifically cooking up a birthday cake dessert for my Wife so we can end our meal on an even bigger high.
Old 22 Aug 12, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post

Agree that walking is probably the best option, but maybe not if you are visiting in the height of summer!
Personally I would rather walk up and down the Vegas strip in August then be walking around Magic Kingdom in Orlando in the same month. There I said it . Although precautions must be taken in Vegas during the hot summer months you actually find many (sane) people are kicking around the pools and generally avoiding the strip making it an altogether much more enjoyable experience walking between hotels. Factor in some ridiculously low hotel deals ($49 MGM anyone?) and you have a cracking vacation. We actually did some Quad Biking in the Valley of Fire State Park in August 2008, boy it was hot but oh so much fun.

Vegas heat over Florida heat any day of the week for me
Old 22 Aug 12, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoaddict
Apprentice Imagineer

Have to beg to differ there I'm afraid... I made mistakes in my planning for Vegas so definitely didn't see it at it's best.

But the obvious focus on gambling and drinking (and the less visible sex industry), along with the heat at the height of summer, for me makes it a survivable but far from ideal family location. We saw so many people with screaming kids in pushchairs trying to force their way through the crowds on the Strip - and few looked as if they were having much fun. If it made sense to include this on the itinerary so as to go to Grand Canyon then fine. Otherwise I think families would be better to avoid.
Really interesting catching up on the comments on this thread. I think Mickiengland had a lot of similarities with our trip, but each family got very different things out of it. We LOVED Vegas so much that we ended up going back there at the end of our holiday (checking out of Palm Springs early as we got so bored! )
Orlandoaddict is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread