Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 23 Sep 13, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post

私たちは、東京ディズニーリゾートに行きます G&D Day 7

DAY 7 – (4/9/13) - Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink!

6a.m.We awake to grey skies and rain. Suddenly there is a flash of lightning followed by thunder. I get out our travel kettle and make a coffee and a tea and then get back into bed. It is pouring down in a torrential torrent. The forecast was showers but this is way more than we were expecting. There are further flashes of lightning and plenty of rumbles. They say it will clear by afternoon. So when we do finally get out of bed I do the bathroom bit and then I dig out the ponchos from a suitcase. These ponchos have given loyal and faithful service. They are Disney ones which we once got at Disneyland California. The necks on them are always too tight so when we got home from there I did a “Blue Peter” (UK TV show for kids where they made or adapted things from everyday items) on them. The neck area was strengthened with gaffa tape to prevent any tearing and, as I say, they are now getting on for a good 15 years service!

I’ve popped the TV on. There are no English speaking channels but you can get the gist of what is going on. One programme in particular appears to be the Japanese equivalent of “Loose Women” where 3 of them sit on the floor gossiping around a table:

I’ll come to the bizarre kids TV programmes later in the report when we reach Tokyo city.

We have breakfast in our roon again. Once we are ready Ponchos are donned and we board the coach for Tokyo DisneySea. The rain is starting to clear now and then and seems to be squalls driven by the wind. We head up to the Volcano caldera again (Mysterious Island) and whilst I go to search out a drink of water, Darrin heads over to the Arabian Coast area to get Fastpasses for the Magic Lamp theatre. Finding water is more difficult than you can imagine. Whilst I can buy ice cream at various kiosks from park opening, water carts do not open until 9:30a.m. Go figure! In the end I have to head into a snack place and grab a coffee – and by the way they didn’t sell water in there either!

When Darrin returns he informs me we won’t need Fastpasses as the lines are small. We both head on over and there are only a few waiting for the next show. When you enter the pre show area (removing ponchos and shaking the water off before entering) there is a large Ali Baba type basket dead centre. A CM identifies us as non Japanese and she hands us two PDAs with English translation of what’s going on. They are ancient and the actual visual display has interference lines running down it. Guess they don’t use them very often.

Anyhow the lights dim and from the basket emerges a snake wearing a turban:

It proceeds totell the story of how a boy named Assim and his aquaintance Shaban, the Magician, found a Magic Lamp. Suddenly, Shaban the Magician took it away from Assim and rubbed the lamp. Later, the Genie appears and grants Shaban's wish to become the "world's greatest magician".

We are then asked to enter the main theatre where Shaban will perform amazing magic tricks. This he does but Assim (strangely enough played by a female CM) finds the lamp hidden by Shaban, in which he has imprisoned the Genie. By trickery the Genie is released by Assim and with the aid of your 3D glasses you join in the fun. During the events Assim takes a flying carpet and finishes up in the screen with the Genie. It’s then you realise that Assim ibears a very close resemblace to a very young Aladdin who will, later in life, come across the Genie again.

The rain has stopped and so we head up to Abu’s Bazaar. The theming if very like Morocco at Epcot but with some Disney touches thrown in as you can see:

There is a double level "Caravan carousel" in the main courtyard which is absolutely beautiful and topped by a blue dome:

Many of the “horses” on it are elephants, camels or the Genie himself.

Now it’s over to Jasmine’s flying carpets. There is a lovely model of Rajah, the tiger, from the Aladdin film which you don’t see very often in the parks. We just love this area. The theming is exquisite.

Now to a unique ride – Sinbad’s Storybook Voyage. It is not based on any Disney cartoon or live action film so why it is here is a bit of a mystery. BUT – it is delightful. Think It’s a Small World meets animatronics. It tells of Sinbad’s various voyages around the world to bring back mysterious objects like the Roc’s eggs or jewels for the Sultan.The song to the ride - “Compass of your heart” was written by Alan Menken – he of Beauty & the Beast and Little Mermaid fame. It is sung in Japanese throughout, even by a thirty foot high Genie (not the Aladdin one), and in parts borders on operatic. Could we find the song on a CD anywhere? No, of course not!
Thankfully, the ride is on YouTube so I’ll add it here:

We rode this about 3 times as there was so much to see. I particularly loved the belly dancers, the movement was so cleverly done. For me this shows what Disney’s Imagineering can truly achieve. And there is a Hidden Mickey too. It’s a cactus on the left just as you are leaving the green Genie scene:

We head on over to Journey to the centre of the Earth. The standby line is only 20 minutes so we have another ride. They really do need to bring this one to Florida – or maybe not. It would spoil its uniqueness.

Lunch today is taken again at Vulcania. We were really impressed with this place considering it is quick service. Darrin goes with garlic fried chicken and rice whilst I start with drop egg and corn soup and then have the fried chicken. Today I have a Mickey almond jelly. Both of us choose grape juice to drink.

We head back down to the American Waterfront over the Ponte Vecchio a raised bridge walkway covered in pretend houses. The first Big Band Beat show of the day will be starting in about an hour (12:40 p.m.). I think I may have explained how this shindig works. The first show of the day, you queue and if you get in, you get in. The rest of the day’s performances are allocated by a lottery system. You go to the Biglietteria (ticket place) in Venice, pop your park tickets in a slot, say which show you’d like to see and it will either give you tickets or it won’t! It’s like a getting a Fastpass but you don’t always get one as we discovered the other day at Tokyo Disneyland. However, today the lottery has been suspended and you just turn up and get in line for whatever time performance you desire. It is held in the Broadway Music Theatre. This ain’t no shed that has been glammed up to look like a theatre like the Hyperion one at California Adventure. This is a real theatre in every sense of the word. It has 1500 velvet red seats, a beautiful auditorium, a proper fly tower, a fabulous lobby……. any major production could be put on here.

The show itself- think Glen Miller meets Mickey Mouse. It is fabulous – great singers, great dancers, a live show band and a Mouse that can tap dance and play a set of drums!

It also stars Daisy, Minnie and Marie from the Aristocats.

As we come out from the show we call at McDuck’s Department store. Halloween merchandise has arrived and I pick up a banner and some tea lights holders. It’s back to the hotel for another chillax afternoon. After all the walking we do these are most welcome.

Now then, you’ll recall we had breakfast in our room. As the Mousekeeping starts rather early in this hotel we had put a “Do not disturb” sign on our exterior door handle. When we get back at 3p.m. we realise we hadn’t taken it off when we left for the park in the morning. Consequently, our room hasn’t been done. Our fault entirely. Darrin calls Mousekeeping and they very kindly agree to come and sort us out. We head for the lounge for a cuppa whilst they get on with it.

We have another Priority Seating at the S S Columbia tonight:

We arrive with about half an hour to spare so we head for the Teddy Roosevelt lounge where Long island tea and Gin & Tonics are consumed.
When we go aloft to the restaurant we opt for the Chef Special:

Cream of purple sweet potato soup with Black Seasme foam – cappuccino style:

To follow, roast beef and baked lobster tail with horseradish gravy and white wine sauce:

Early Grey mousse topped with sauteed apple and vanilla ice cream:

Nice pic that the server took for us:

Once again, I do my “Jack! Jack!” routine a la Titanic as I descend the beautiful staircase. Darrin rolls his eyes!

We head to the harbour to watch Fantasmic again. It’s been a great day despite the morning rain. Lots of great memories. We retire to bed tired, happy and full of Pixie Dust!

INDEX - http://DIBB.in/8969983

Edited at 08:15 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 13, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Eeyore rocks
VIP Dibber

Eeyore rocks's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Fabulous day...shame about the rain first thing though.

Thanks for sharing.

Orlando..Feb 1998, Jun 2003, Nov 2004, Dec 2008, Nov 2009, Aug 2010, Nov 2010, Sep 2011, Nov 2012, Nov 2013, Oct 2014, Sept 2015, Nov 2015, Sept 16, Jan 2017, Nov 2017, Jan 2018, June 2018, Dec 2018, June 2019, Dec 2019, Feb 2022, May 2023, Oct 2024.

Las Vegas..Dec 1998, Jan 2002, Jan 2004, Jan 2005, May 2006, Mar 2009, Apr 2011, Jan 2012, Aug 2012, Jan 2013, Feb 2014, Feb 2015 Feb 2016, Nov 2016.

New York...Nov 2018, Dec 2021.
Eeyore rocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 13, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Photos: 135
A lovely day, the shows look great AND Dinner looks fab again, I'm rather peckish now

Nov 16-Shanghai & Japan - In Progress
Nov 15-Hong Kong & Singapore - Coming Soon!
June 15-Rome & Florence
Dec 14-WDW | 13-WDW | 12-DLP | 12-NY&DC | 11-West Coast | 10-DLP | 09-WDW
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 13, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
JamelUK
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Don't forget although somewhat differently imagineered at Tokyo, the idea of a Journey to the Centre of Earth attraction was one of the rides originally planned to sit under the huge Discovery Mountain dome at DLP.

Maybe if they increased the current on Autopia...
Old 23 Sep 13, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Perfect end to a perfect day, dinner looks wonderful.

Great photo of the two of you.
Glee Fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 13, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by JamelUK View Post
Don't forget although somewhat differently imagineered at Tokyo, the idea of a Journey to the Centre of Earth attraction was one of the rides originally planned to sit under the huge Discovery Mountain dome at DLP.

Maybe if they increased the current on Autopia...

You know James that's one ride I have never been on at any park and one ride I have never understood. Time for something new IMHO. And let's not forget ToT's origins started at DLRP.
Old 23 Sep 13, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post

Food love yummy. I don't get the foam thing that seems to be in at the moment.
Old 23 Sep 13, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
kempydee
Being a bit Goofy

kempydee's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 2
Wow Mickey playing the drums! Fabulous!
Thanks for sharing.
kempydee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 13, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneycraft
Imagineer

Disneycraft's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 17

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
Imagine if they did that lottery thing in WDW the dibb would be full of folks moaning about it !

Marriott 93, MIC lakefront 94,Holiday inn 96,Rosen plaza 98,Quality inn plaza 02,BVP 06,BVP 07 ,Royal plaza 08,villa 09,villa +RPR 11,villa 12,Contemporary 13,BVP 14 ,POR xmas 15,Beach club 16,Beach Club 18 ,Contemporary 22, Sheraton LBV 23,+ DLP 03,17
Disneycraft is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 13, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Your report is switching me on to Japan more and more, dh & ds thank you!