Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 6 May 14, 07:05 AM  
Link to this Post

Mega savings through indirect flying

I have been doing a workshop in the other part of the forum on flight savings, which is here http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=791221

Thought it worth flagging up this method brings even larger savings for the west coast, this is my itinerary for October for example

11/10 Aberdeen to London
12/10 London to Oslo
13/10 Oslo - London - San Francisco
13/10 San Francisco - Las Vegas
17/10 Las Vegas - Los Angeles ( for Annaheim Disney )
19/10 Train Los Angeles to San Diego
21/10 San Diego to San Francisco
23/10 San Francisco - London - Oslo ( last leg unused )

Costs Aberdeen to Oslo - 75 ( can be done direct for 50 )
Oslo - San Francisco return - 308 return
San Fran - Vegas - 35
Vegas - LAX - 35
Train LAX to San Diego - 20
San Diego - San Francisco - 49

So an entire west coast tour - 522 all in.

Price that as a package its over 5k.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 14, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Diamonddog2801
Imagineer

This is interesting... I would like to go back to Las Vegas on Jan 28 2015, returning Feb 4 2015.

The best flight prices I can get indirect are £610 return, direct is more like £720.

However, if I go with Norwegian Airlines to Los Angeles on the same dates, the return fare is £382 direct (! )

Maybe you can help me with the internal flights from LAX- LAS... the outbound arrives in LAX at 1620, the return flight from LAX to LGW is at 1820.

I definitely want a direct flight from LAX-LAS please!
Diamonddog2801 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 14, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Not sure I'd fancy that would rather pay a little extra,2 days to get to your destination and travelling back to the place you started before you get there
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 14, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Diamonddog2801
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Diamonddog2801 View Post
This is interesting... I would like to go back to Las Vegas on Jan 28 2015, returning Feb 4 2015.

The best flight prices I can get indirect are £610 return, direct is more like £720.

However, if I go with Norwegian Airlines to Los Angeles on the same dates, the return fare is £382 direct (! )

Maybe you can help me with the internal flights from LAX- LAS... the outbound arrives in LAX at 1620, the return flight from LAX to LGW is at 1820.

Having just priced up two individual flights (as opposed to a return) I have :

Delta LAX-LAS 1845-1955 £48
United LAS-LAX 1510-1622 £55

That's £485 - saving £125 per person.

It does add 3 hours 35 mins outwards (as opposed to direct) and 3 hours 10 minutes on the return... but that seems a reasonable trade off for saving £125 ?
Diamonddog2801 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 14, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Slipperman
Trainee Dibber

You should easily be about to get them sub 100 (watch out for baggage charges) and there would be a large choice of flight times.
Slipperman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 14, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I've never paid more than £550 direct (£519 this year) with VA flying at the end of Feb or the very first few days of March, granted that's in a sale, but it can be done. Indirect flights to Vegas this year weren't any cheaper.

BA sale prices are very similar too (within a pound or two).

Its a long enough flight for me as it is, specially with the 8 hr time difference , the savings would have be to be very good for me to go indirect.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 14, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
I need flights to Las Vegas any time in April / May 2015.

Thanks!
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 14, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Hi again Dr Spear (I feel like your stalker )

Interestingly I have never found significant savings in travelling indirect to the West Coast. As I said on your other thread, I'm all about getting the best price. I've never sat down and analysed it but I think I would not choose indirect over direct if the saving was <£50/head, I'd be looking for more.

That said, I think I'd be prepared to pay slightly more for direct to the West Coast due to the slightly longer flight time, and more importantly the extra time difference.

We've only been West twice but both occasions was because I could get (direct) flights significantly cheaper than I could to Florida (indirect). Currently constrained by school summer holidays...

We flew direct LHR to SFO and home LAX to LHR direct for £525 each which I considered very acceptable. That was 2011.

We flew direct LGW to LAS then home JFK to LHR (used free flight miles from LAS to NYC). That cost 2,000 VA miles (miles plus money) and £480 each. That was 2013.

I was very happy with those prices given it was school hols, and I don't think (but never say never) indirect could have been cheap enough to tempt me to choose that option? I accept that's just a moment in time, but whenever I've monitored West Coast flight prices I've found more bargains direct than for Orlando direct (probably as there is way more competition).

The LAX flights with Norwegian were also a fantastic bargain (missed those as DH's leave wasn't finalised).
Old 6 May 14, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post

yes I use expedia.com ( as opposed to expedia.co.uk make sure you choose .com ) or opodo.co.uk or any other ones and then book direct with the airline if same price. You are looking at under 50 quid to get from LAX to LAS and vice versa.

So like you say 432 compared to 610 is a nice saving nearly 30%
Old 6 May 14, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
You should easily be about to get them sub 100 (watch out for baggage charges) and there would be a large choice of flight times.
Yep one of my golden rules is never check in any luggage always only take hand luggage.
Closed Thread