Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 31 May 16, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

It was 'refurbed' in April 2015!
Tink75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 16, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
dav220588
Imagineer

I heard Phantom might be getting a completely different story but that won't be for a good few years I'd think.
dav220588 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 16, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
mikeishere
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

On one if vids on DLP official YouTube channel one VIP who works for DLP can't remember his title says all these refurbishments are to make DLP have a totally different and unique feeling from before. Does this mean DLP will have the same feeling as the florida park, as for some people (not me personally but know of people) They think DLP is not a real Disney or its second rate compared to its USA cousins?! These updates seem to bring DLP in line with other Disney parks around the world where before they where usually left behind. It's a shame when we a Disney in Europe on our doorstep that some people dont have pride for it the same as the USA Disney as for some (not all) DLP isn't real Disney like say florida! I know one woman who used to work with who called it a paint by numbers Disney and cheap and only ever went to Orlando. But then again as a huge DLP fan it upsets me a bit when DLP gets left behind and you hear of all the unquie experiences DW add and change all the time and it's taken till now the 25th anniversary to change and update some rides like star wars that could of been done a few years ago.

Edited at 06:45 PM.
mikeishere is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 16, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Much of what you say is down to the fact that the Park is not making a profit on paper, unlike the other US parks. There are many reasons for this, but mainly down to the financial makeup of the Park and the debt it was saddled with from the beginning - it it certainly not down to poor visitor numbers, despite it operating in one of the worst financial crisis/downturns in modern times.

If a Park isn't making a profit, and has huge debts then it is very hard to use a huge amount of funds to refurb/improve it constantly and that is what a Park needs to keep operating to a very high standard. It also needs a strong leader, with relevant experience to take the company forward and motivate and empower staff - Tom Wolber, in his short term in office, has been tantamount to this in particular.

However, in the last year the position has changed with the recent refinancing of the company and TWDC having a larger, majority stake in the Park now. This is where hopefully the difference will begin to take effect.

I believe the Park can improve and will do so now that the financing model has evolved. It is very complex to understand, but I think they are now in the best position to take the place forward.

I for one love DLRP, and have always loved European Disney!
Tink75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 16, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

To give the park a Florida feel they need to do more than a bit of building work ! It does not and will not have the Florida feel without making everything in English, replacing a large percentage of the "could not care less staff" gave a host of better dining options, continually cleaned and did maintance, dropped prices ( to be fair a lot of that may be currency) and of course guaranteed the weather 😄

I don't think that a park in France could ever feel like a park in the US this is not necessary a bad thing but they are just very different and will be.

Also lets not forget that Disneyland Paris is only licensed by Disney and not owned by them.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 16, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
claireh
Excited about Disney

We cannot understand why people think DLP is inferior. Yes, there are currently several rides/attractions shut for refurb, but the park as a whole is every bit as "Disney" as the Florida ones, and even the rain at the moment can't dampen our enthusiasm! The Cast Members we have come across have been brilliant, and we've seen several instances of "Disney Magic". It is true that they are currently preparing the parks for next year's 25th anniversary, but it will no doubt cost a whole lot more to come next year, so we are more than happy at the moment!

Edited at 07:54 PM.
claireh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 16, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by claireh View Post
We cannot understand why people think DLP is inferior. Yes, there are currently several rides/attractions shut for refurb, but the park as a whole is every bit as "Disney" as the Florida ones, and even the rain at the moment can't dampen our enthusiasm! The Cast Members we have come across have been brilliant, and we've seen several instances of "Disney Magic". It is true that they are currently preparing the parks for next year's 25th anniversary, but it will no doubt cost a whole lot more to come next year, so we are more than happy at the moment!
Really I have had three shrugs if shoulders today when asking perfectly reasonable questions. To be fair we have had. Pretty good day today in Hollywood studios but other than being able to walk from one park to another I can not think of anything better about DLP over Floirida but plenty better in Florida
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 16, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
mikeishere

Originally Posted by Tink75 View Post
Much of what you say is down to the fact that the Park is not making a profit on paper, unlike the other US parks. There are many reasons for this, but mainly down to the financial makeup of the Park and the debt it was saddled with from the beginning - it it certainly not down to poor visitor numbers, despite it operating in one of the worst financial crisis/downturns in modern times.

If a Park isn't making a profit, and has huge debts then it is very hard to use a huge amount of funds to refurb/improve it constantly and that is what a Park needs to keep operating to a very high standard. It also needs a strong leader, with relevant experience to take the company forward and motivate and empower staff - Tom Wolber, in his short term in office, has been tantamount to this in particular.

However, in the last year the position has changed with the recent refinancing of the company and TWDC having a larger, majority stake in the Park now. This is where hopefully the difference will begin to take effect.

I believe the Park can improve and will do so now that the financing model has evolved. It is very complex to understand, but I think they are now in the best position to take the place forward.

I for one love DLRP, and have always loved European Disney!
Yeah its such a shame the financial issues it had that its affected its progress and its image and view in some peoples mind. I'm surprised that the WDC hasn't stepped it sooner to save it and stop it falling behind and keep uptodate with like WDW as any product that's falling behind and affected associated with their brand will damage their image in a small way. I hope that with all these changes that too some going to DLP has the same excitement as going to the USA ones, I know for families it has the added excitement off going to USA and sunshine etc and saving for a big holiday, but I just don't think sometimes we appreciate that we have a major Disney resort so close to enjoy just as much! I don't know what the build up and excitement was on the build up too the opening of the park and announcement of a Disney resort in Europe in the early 90s was like as I was a baby but I know if I was the age was now back then I would have been so excited and have the same feeling as the USA parks and thinking can finally get to a Disney closer to home.

Edited at 08:11 PM.
mikeishere is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 16, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
mikeishere

Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
Really I have had three shrugs if shoulders today when asking perfectly reasonable questions. To be fair we have had. Pretty good day today in Hollywood studios but other than being able to walk from one park to another I can not think of anything better about DLP over Floirida but plenty better in Florida
Really!? I love the Florida parks too and every Disney resort I've visited so far, each to own but I find loads of things too like about DLP. Why can't Disney own the whole Paris resort don't understand?
Old 1 Jun 16, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mikeishere View Post
Really!? I love the Florida parks too and every Disney resort I've visited so far, each to own but I find loads of things too like about DLP. Why can't Disney own the whole Paris resort don't understand?
TWDC now own a majority and so things will change. They have done this to protect the identity/brand image etc as mentioned above, also to allow a refinancing model which will hopefully allow the park to prosper. The reason they didn't do it earlier is anyone's guess, but I suspect it was difficult to achieve - they were held accountable by a French financiers and taken to court as they felt the deal wasn't totally 'legal' - it wasn't an easy 'fight' and took a long period of consultation. But nonetheless, it is now done!

There is a huge history behind why DLRP wasn't wholly owned by TWDC, too complicated to go into here, but it was partly down to the fact that the French government wanted a large stake in the park with it being on French soil. After all, Disney is not a French company... I should imagine that any country they had chosen would have required a stake to allow the park to be built back at that time.

It is unfair to compare parks - they are not the same, and cater to different audiences - this is the same with all the non US parks. I prefer DLRP to WDW, mainly because I don't like the scale of WDW or the weather, but I know I'm in the minority . In my eyes DLRP is way prettier than WDW - particularly the MK. I haven't yet visited DL but hope to in the next few years! I also would like to visit TDL but I don't think my children are ready for a trip to Tokyo having researched it - I just don't think there is enough outside of Disney for them, and it's a long way to go to just visit the Park which would take 4 days or so max to get around .

We get these posts quite often and everyone wants to compare - the US parks aren't trying to compete with the other non US parks, they are simply offering a different sort of Disney, catering to their local markets...

To the PP who said about prices next year, yes, I do think there is a general price increase, and I do think prices this year reflected the upheaval in the park - however, if you can bag a good offer, a deal can still be had next year . After all, I'd hope anyone on this forum would know not to pay the 'rack rate' for DLRP if they can help it!

Edited at 08:40 PM.
Closed Thread