Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 13 Aug 17, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
It feels rude to not reply to Poot, but I'm trying to think of something to say that is not along the lines of...

I imagine your bottom didn't look like a builders so I'm sure I will have seen sights that are more disgusting. Isn't it weird how some people like to show the world their underwear, or worse let things hang out? I've never understood that...

so I guess it's more a reply to you than Poot.
Poot's vacuuming right now (so we can leave R.C. a tidy house) - but oh, it was funny - he was certain we needed to go up to this kid and tell him his pants were showing. I tried to explain about young men emulating prison culture (no belts in JAIL, kids) - but that just made him more confused. "Why would you want to look like a PRISONER?"

He's had a very different upbringing than I did, bless him.

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
I have never tried Coco Puffs but I always eat Miel Pops at DLP! Calories don't count at Disney.
Ah, Gill...I dearly wish that were true...but my double chin photo from outside Haunted Mansion says otherwise.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 17, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Cazzius
Apprentice Imagineer

For all of your caveats, that was a busy day!

The magnetic meteor looks like something i'd even want a play with, and i'm not science-y... but I wouldn't hold a cockroach. You are a braver lady than me.

A shame that RC had to leave you, but hurrah that he figured out the bed and got some sleep. 4 hours from landing to working is very impressive too.

How great the at children's books are free, what an excellent surprise and a fab idea.

I'm very curious as to what happened in Baltimore and will have to read on immediately. Bless the concierge being concerned about sending you to an area where you might not blend in.

I love american candy, the sheer quantity of peanut butter and chocolate options make me very happy. I think that combo also comes in both Oreo and Pop Tart form too. Yum.
The malted milk M&M's look like Malteasers in crispy shells, is that right? they sound goooood.

Funny how you always like what you can't get best. I always used to take Cadbury Heroes when visiting colleagues in the US and they used to love the Crunchie bars as they aren't available in America and they don't have anything similar.

A very successful day shopping wise rounded off my The Weather Channel and a room picnic - sounds good to me!

Please thank Poot for his update, it is really interesting to see what he liked at the museum. I am impressed that so many people sat on the big meteorite that is started wearing away.
The Natural History museum was one of my favourites when I was in Washington DC as there was just so much to see there.
Good idea to get a postcard of the Hope Diamond. It is hard to get a good photo because of the lights and the glass.

Those birthday cake flavour sweets sound very good, I wish we had more variety here as they seem to have so many flavours in America that we just don't get.

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
It's bad news on the potsticker front, Gill. We had to go with "vegetable"-filled, as I can't have fish - and Poot can't have shellfish. And the veggie ones were SO bland and disappointing.

So the hunt for pork-y potstickers is back on...
Have a look when the Christmassy party food comes into the shops maybe? I never used to be able to find my favourite beige fried snacks (jalapeno poppers) apart from when the party food comes in at Christmas.
You could also try CostCo if you have a membership? If you don't, you would probably be eligible for one as RC runs his own business. I've had success with beige fried appetizers there too (hellooooo catering zise bags of mozzarella sticks!)

I'm a little sad that most things are the same, now. Though you still can't get a coronation chicken sandwich in America.
I am with you on the coronation chicken front. I'm wishing I had some for my lunch now, but it's a real treat as I will eat it all in one sitting. It is SO good.

We used to spend a lot of time in the stuffed animal halls - Poot loved to look at all the birds. Interactive this and that is all well and good - but when kids are small they like to really SEE the animals. The NHM is London is well worth a visit. I like to go in the side entrance rather than the main one - you go up an escalator into a fiery Earth...

I may be remembering incorrectly, but I am SURE the earth used to turn as you went up the escalator because I remember feeling like I was tipping, but it was the earth walls moving around me.
I don't think it moved last time we went, so am now doubting myself... but you are right, t is the best entrance.

Bu what? You didn't like Chick-Fil-A? Them's fightin' words! I suppose it depends on what you have, though. And truthfully, my favourite is Popeye's (it's the biscuits ).
When I first visited my big brother in Charlotte I was 16. We stopped to get food and went to a Chick-Fil-A.
"What's Chick-Fil-Ah?" I asked, but pronouncing it with a hard A (like in apple). Because we don't pronounce fillet in the same way as the Americans (apart from Filet Mignon), I didn't get that it should ahve been said Chick-Fil-Ay.
Now our family refer to it as Chick-Fil-Ah, and people look at us like we are idiots when the overhear us

I like Bojangles, they do cinnamon biscuits with hot sugar icing for breakfast and they are deeeeelicious.

First Time Floribobs (The Irma Remix) - WDW trip report *Complete*
While The Cat's Away, The Caz Will Play With The Mouse - Solo DLP Trip Report
Cazzius is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 17, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Cazzius View Post
For all of your caveats, that was a busy day!

The magnetic meteor looks like something i'd even want a play with, and i'm not science-y... but I wouldn't hold a cockroach. You are a braver lady than me.

A shame that RC had to leave you, but hurrah that he figured out the bed and got some sleep. 4 hours from landing to working is very impressive too.

How great the at children's books are free, what an excellent surprise and a fab idea.

I'm very curious as to what happened in Baltimore and will have to read on immediately. Bless the concierge being concerned about sending you to an area where you might not blend in.

I love american candy, the sheer quantity of peanut butter and chocolate options make me very happy. I think that combo also comes in both Oreo and Pop Tart form too. Yum.
The malted milk M&M's look like Malteasers in crispy shells, is that right? they sound goooood.

Funny how you always like what you can't get best. I always used to take Cadbury Heroes when visiting colleagues in the US and they used to love the Crunchie bars as they aren't available in America and they don't have anything similar.

A very successful day shopping wise rounded off my The Weather Channel and a room picnic - sounds good to me!

Please thank Poot for his update, it is really interesting to see what he liked at the museum. I am impressed that so many people sat on the big meteorite that is started wearing away.
The Natural History museum was one of my favourites when I was in Washington DC as there was just so much to see there.
Good idea to get a postcard of the Hope Diamond. It is hard to get a good photo because of the lights and the glass.

Those birthday cake flavour sweets sound very good, I wish we had more variety here as they seem to have so many flavours in America that we just don't get.

Have a look when the Christmassy party food comes into the shops maybe? I never used to be able to find my favourite beige fried snacks (jalapeno poppers) apart from when the party food comes in at Christmas.
You could also try CostCo if you have a membership? If you don't, you would probably be eligible for one as RC runs his own business. I've had success with beige fried appetizers there too (hellooooo catering zise bags of mozzarella sticks!)

I am with you on the coronation chicken front. I'm wishing I had some for my lunch now, but it's a real treat as I will eat it all in one sitting. It is SO good.

I may be remembering incorrectly, but I am SURE the earth used to turn as you went up the escalator because I remember feeling like I was tipping, but it was the earth walls moving around me.
I don't think it moved last time we went, so am now doubting myself... but you are right, t is the best entrance.

When I first visited my big brother in Charlotte I was 16. We stopped to get food and went to a Chick-Fil-A.
"What's Chick-Fil-Ah?" I asked, but pronouncing it with a hard A (like in apple). Because we don't pronounce fillet in the same way as the Americans (apart from Filet Mignon), I didn't get that it should ahve been said Chick-Fil-Ay.
Now our family refer to it as Chick-Fil-Ah, and people look at us like we are idiots when the overhear us

I like Bojangles, they do cinnamon biscuits with hot sugar icing for breakfast and they are deeeeelicious.

The magnetic meteor was extremely cool. I never imagined I would know as much about meteors as I do now - volcanoes are definitely my favourite of Poot's interests - though meteors are certainly more interesting than worms (an obsession when he was much smaller).

Even after many years of marriage, I secretly fear that R.C. thinks he wed a sluggard. I cope VERY POORLY unless I've had at least seven hours of sleep. I joke that R.C.'s a show-off, but the truth is I find his ability to manage on so little sleep rather remarkable.

I love American junk food, too. And Poot always gets to pick out one "new" variety of Pop Tarts when we're abroad. This year I think it was S'Mores. We also tried Pecan Pie M&Ms - which (sadly) were utterly vile. Now malt-flavoured things, they are my absolute favourite. When I was a kid, my father would take me to Candyland after he got paid - and let me get a quarter's worth of malted milk balls.

But I don't suppose a quarter would get you ONE these days.

I know there are potstickers to be had at Chinese grocers. We used to have TWO nearby (in Hatfield) - but both have closed. London is full of them, though - I just need to remember to bring my insulated bag the next time I go up to town. I think Poot and R.C. are going on Sunday (to see the VENOM exhibition at the NHM)...perhaps I should put them on the case. R.C. can't be trusted with a grocery list (ask for ice cream, get tofu) - but Poot is reliable.

Chik-Fil-AH! Love it! 'Round ours, we make ourselves laugh no end with all of our wrongly-pronounced words (one of the joys of a "mixed marriage") . My favourite is listening to R.C. pronounce "Maryland", which he makes sound like a theme park dedicated to The Blessed Virgin: "Mary-Land".

And SPOILER for my upcoming NYC post, but how much better is the NHM in New York than the one we have here (Fiery Earth entrance notwithstanding)? Poot and I were there from open to close - and we still didn't see it all. I especially liked the "Hall of Mammals and Their Extinct Relatives". BEST GALLERY NAME EVER.

(Whispers) And it doesn't hurt that there's a Shake Shack right across the street.

Speaking of (more) delicious food - I, too, must keep the coronation chicken out of the house. I will eat it ALL.

PS: The lovely Goldia is recommending your trippie in her posts!
Old 8 Dec 17, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Cazzius
Apprentice Imagineer

The magnetic meteor was extremely cool. I never imagined I would know as much about meteors as I do now - volcanoes are definitely my favourite of Poot's interests - though meteors are certainly more interesting than worms (an obsession when he was much smaller).

Even after many years of marriage, I secretly fear that R.C. thinks he wed a sluggard. I cope VERY POORLY unless I've had at least seven hours of sleep. I joke that R.C.'s a show-off, but the truth is I find his ability to manage on so little sleep rather remarkable.

I love American junk food, too. And Poot always gets to pick out one "new" variety of Pop Tarts when we're abroad. This year I think it was S'Mores. We also tried Pecan Pie M&Ms - which (sadly) were utterly vile. Now malt-flavoured things, they are my absolute favourite. When I was a kid, my father would take me to Candyland after he got paid - and let me get a quarter's worth of malted milk balls.

But I don't suppose a quarter would get you ONE these days.

I know there are potstickers to be had at Chinese grocers. We used to have TWO nearby (in Hatfield) - but both have closed. London is full of them, though - I just need to remember to bring my insulated bag the next time I go up to town. I think Poot and R.C. are going on Sunday (to see the VENOM exhibition at the NHM)...perhaps I should put them on the case. R.C. can't be trusted with a grocery list (ask for ice cream, get tofu) - but Poot is reliable.

Chik-Fil-AH! Love it! 'Round ours, we make ourselves laugh no end with all of our wrongly-pronounced words (one of the joys of a "mixed marriage") . My favourite is listening to R.C. pronounce "Maryland", which he makes sound like a theme park dedicated to The Blessed Virgin: "Mary-Land".

And SPOILER for my upcoming NYC post, but how much better is the NHM in New York than the one we have here (Fiery Earth entrance notwithstanding)? Poot and I were there from open to close - and we still didn't see it all. I especially liked the "Hall of Mammals and Their Extinct Relatives". BEST GALLERY NAME EVER.

(Whispers) And it doesn't hurt that there's a Shake Shack right across the street.

Speaking of (more) delicious food - I, too, must keep the coronation chicken out of the house. I will eat it ALL.

PS: The lovely Goldia is recommending your trippie in her posts!
That IS lovely of Goldia, I must thank her

Good luck tracking down potstickers, but I think they would go the way of Coronation Chicken in my house and all disappear very quickly!

I have never been to New York, but when I get there, the NHM is firmly on the list of places to visit. I love a good museum.
I expect you are glad that Poot switched from worms to meteors and volcanoes, much more interesting and less slimy.

I've been sat saying Maryland for the last minute or so, and sadly I am also of the the biblical theme park pronunciation. I head Loughborough pronounced Loogahbaroogah before though, which makes it sound like national park in Australia. Plus in London there are always interesting ways to say Leicester and Trafalgar.

Thank you again for your excellent reporting.

First Time Floribobs (The Irma Remix) - WDW trip report *Complete*
While The Cat's Away, The Caz Will Play With The Mouse - Solo DLP Trip Report
Cazzius is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 17, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Cazzius View Post
That IS lovely of Goldia, I must thank her

Good luck tracking down potstickers, but I think they would go the way of Coronation Chicken in my house and all disappear very quickly!

I have never been to New York, but when I get there, the NHM is firmly on the list of places to visit. I love a good museum.
I expect you are glad that Poot switched from worms to meteors and volcanoes, much more interesting and less slimy.

I've been sat saying Maryland for the last minute or so, and sadly I am also of the the biblical theme park pronunciation. I head Loughborough pronounced Loogahbaroogah before though, which makes it sound like national park in Australia. Plus in London there are always interesting ways to say Leicester and Trafalgar.

Thank you again for your excellent reporting.
Always a pleasure, never a chore.

Twenty or so years ago I was working off and on with a French environmental engineer - and he called me to report a spill near a body of water he called "Meel-Ah".

Now I rather prided myself on knowing all the lakes in our state by name, so I was embarrassed to have to ask him for the coordinates.

And he got rather shirty with me..."How can you not know this? The lake is 200 square miles!"...but eventually he gave me the coordinates.

"Oh," said I, once I'd identified the spot - "Lake Mill-Axe!"

I think I heard him cry a little, then.

...but that's how we pronounce it.
Old 12 Aug 18, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
SEAWORLD FAN
slightly serious Dibber

Another busy day April. Washington definitely seems to be the place to be if you like science and history and, erm, cockroaches . Not a hope that would have been in my hand, well done you!

And not only did RC make it home in one piece but he managed to get to work for 10am. I'm impressed but I could probably do that too only for the fact that I am always too busy waiting for the washing machine to do it's thing so I have to stay at home

There are a couple of teasers in today's report for future days so I need to dash on to read the next report. See you there!
SEAWORLD FAN is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 18, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by SEAWORLD FAN View Post
Another busy day April. Washington definitely seems to be the place to be if you like science and history and, erm, cockroaches . Not a hope that would have been in my hand, well done you!

And not only did RC make it home in one piece but he managed to get to work for 10am. I'm impressed but I could probably do that too only for the fact that I am always too busy waiting for the washing machine to do it's thing so I have to stay at home

There are a couple of teasers in today's report for future days so I need to dash on to read the next report. See you there!
Lol, because Poot's an only child (and so didn't have any older brothers or sisters to chivvy him into things) I was always worried about him being afraid to do/try things. So I told myself that I wouldn't show irrational fear, disgust, etc...in front of him. Hence the cockroach.

Now that he is older I am free to say things like, "Eew! Get that horrid thing away from me!"

R.C. is a shining example to all. He probably wouldn't have married me had he known before we wed just how lazy I am. I do make a really nice pie, though...

See you in Baltimore!