Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Feb 19, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridababy16
Trainee Dibber

Grey v White UPVC Windows - what are your thoughts?

Good morning,

I am in the process of ordering new windows and really torn between white or grey UPVC windows. I have a 4 bedroomed semi-detached house with 2 bay windows. I don't know whether to play it safe and go with white windows and a black composite door or grey windows and a black/grey composite door.

I am the most indecisive person... please help me decide

Edited at 12:59 PM.
Floridababy16 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 19, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

I just googled the grey and I'm afraid they remind me of the ones they used where I used to live on the eco houses - or lego houses as we used to call them. Definitely white for me (or woodstain)

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 19, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

We have white as grey would have looked odd on the blonde brick/sandstone construction to my eye but they are a flipping pain to
Keep clean I'd love grey if it suited the house
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 19, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Mobile

Lots of people seem to be going for the anthracite grey around here lately.
Imo I think on almost all of the houses they look awful. They look better against white painted houses than they do against brick houses though.
I think it’s a trend atm whereas white don’t really age.
Real wood look nice, but for ease I’d stick with white personally.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 19, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Connors Daddy
Very Serious Dibber

We had the same dilemma last year when we changed ours. Really wanted the grey, but having looked at other houses, ended up with white.

Grey, on a rendered house looks great, but on 'normal' brick, I think white looks best.

What confirmed it for me, was a local house that is half rendered (top half) had grey windows put in, and the top ones looked really good, but the bottom ones just didn't look right.

Are you brick or rendered?

Edit to add - we did go for a grey composite front door, and love that!

Edited at 01:30 PM.
Connors Daddy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 19, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridababy16
Trainee Dibber

Originally Posted by Connors Daddy View Post
We had the same dilemma last year when we changed ours. Really wanted the grey, but having looked at other houses, ended up with white.

Grey, on a rendered house looks great, but on 'normal' brick, I think white looks best.

What confirmed it for me, was a local house that is half rendered (top half) had grey windows put in, and the top ones looked really good, but the bottom ones just didn't look right.

Are you brick or rendered?

Edit to add - we did go for a grey composite front door, and love that!
Our house is full brick. We have a curved shaped frame front door and a UPVC atm that we had to have specially shaped and made and its only a year old. I really wanted to change the door but the composite door wont sit in the current frame and we'd have to get another frame made to fit the door. Don't even know why I didn't think about this before instead of looking like a complete bimbo infront of the sales guys! Really want a new door but don't want to just for the sake of it
Floridababy16 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 19, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Connors Daddy
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Floridababy16 View Post
Our house is full brick. We have a curved shaped frame front door and a UPVC atm that we had to have specially shaped and made and its only a year old. I really wanted to change the door but the composite door wont sit in the current frame and we'd have to get another frame made to fit the door. Don't even know why I didn't think about this before instead of looking like a complete bimbo infront of the sales guys! Really want a new door but don't want to just for the sake of it
I know what you mean, but it's pretty important isn't it.

That's the other thing that swung it for us, this it's a huge financial mistake if you make the wrong choice, and whilst grey COULD work, white almost certainly will.

Not sure I can help with the door bit, but I have to say, our composite door is such a huge improvement on what we had, and really sets the house off, so well worth the extra ££.
Connors Daddy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 19, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

i need new windows but cant decide on style or colour - i like the aluminium ones as then can get a away from white
Old 26 Feb 19, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
flutterby
slightly serious Dibber

We are going against the other replies and vote for grey. We had our property fully refurbished and have gone for anthracite grey windows with a grey composite door. We also had grey bi-folds fitted at the back which helped sway us to the grey as wanted the windows to match the bi-folds.

We feel it makes the property look more modern and find it is easier to keep looking clean than the white we used to have. We have had compliments on the look of the property since the changes and a neighbour has followed suit and had the same grey.
Old 26 Feb 19, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post

Definitely white, it will never go out of fashion.

Just googled the grey, not my cup of tea.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List