Notices
Itineraries Post your Trip Itineraries here.

Old 15 Jun 19, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
squishy
Imagineer

squishy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile Too aspirational? Or doable?!

Plan to stay at a cheap hotel the night we arrive (although - depending on flights, we are open to arriving a day early and spending a day in Tampa first) and then check in at RPR for 2 nights early on day 1. 3 days of Express passes.

Any ideas of cheapish (but not dire!) hotels we could stay at for a night before moving to RPR?

After RPR, the plan is to move offsite to a cheap hotel for another 2 nights (initially we were in POR for 8 nights, but I changed this to CSR for 6 nights and now have just upgraded that to Yacht Club for 2 nights).

In between RPR and YC, we will spend the first day using Express passes at Universal, then the other day we will either VB or Universal (or chill or shop!).

The plan is to then check in early to YC (on my birthday!) for 6 nights and then one final move to a villa for 7 nights.

Just me and my 2 girls; I’ll be bearing the brunt of the suitcase packing/moving and will use packing cubes to help there.

I think it’s worth the moves to get the best value out of our (more) expensive hotel stays, but would be really interested in other people's views or tips to help with these sorts of moves.

Not going till mid August 2020, so haven’t even started to think about how we'll spend our days yet (but hope to make the most of the 60 day FPs, free DDP and then pool/water park days when staying at the villa)!
DLP DCR - 2009

Edited at 03:16 PM.
squishy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
squishy
Imagineer

squishy's Reviews
Any hotel suggestions/comments, please?
DLP DCR - 2009
squishy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
sunny1
Excited about Disney

how about staying at the new endless summer resort for those two in between days
they have rooms with fridge and microwave and it might save on food costs, also they might move your luggage for you ? i'm unsure on this but it's worth asking

also have you thought about having no car whilst staying at Universal, if you keep the first week or so universal with RPR and then endless summer you could use their transport and maybe just have the car for getting there from the airport ?

i know that Hertz have a car rental inside the HRH for drop off
sunny1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
squishy
Imagineer

squishy's Reviews
Originally Posted by sunny1 View Post
how about staying at the new endless summer resort for those two in between days
they have rooms with fridge and microwave and it might save on food costs, also they might move your luggage for you ? i'm unsure on this but it's worth asking

also have you thought about having no car whilst staying at Universal, if you keep the first week or so universal with RPR and then endless summer you could use their transport and maybe just have the car for getting there from the airport ?

i know that Hertz have a car rental inside the HRH for drop off
Hadn't thought about Endless Summer, that's a good idea (particularly the moving of the suitcases!) thank you!

I'd planned to collect the car at the airport, but to be honest, you're right - it might be better (as long as I don't end up flying into Tampa! ) - that way I'd save on 5 days of car hire and a few nights of resort parking fees!

I'm sure an uber from the airport and then from our first night hotel to Universal would be doable! In that case, maybe Uber to Yacht Club and not worry about a car for the first couple of days there, too?!?! We'll be Epcot-ing to start with.

I'm sure losing out on choosing a car from the garage would be outweighed by saving those days of $$$!
DLP DCR - 2009

Edited at 03:09 PM.
Old 26 Jun 19, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Hi Squishy.

We are doing exactly what you are when we arrive at Orlando on the evening of 27 July.

We are getting an Uber to the Ramada on IDrive. This is close to Universal and is costing £60 for the four of us including breakfast (early). It is by all accounts a decent 3 star.

Next morning it is a taxi to RPR, check in, dump bags and hit the rides. We have gone club level for the nibbles, happy hour etc etc.

Second day, it is up, check out and dump the bags with storage and then early to Volcano bay and then later the parks.

At 1600 I pick up our hirecar at Holiday Inn (Universal), nearby and then pick up the family and bags from outside RPR. In this way we also save 2 days of car hire and parking.

Hope it helps.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
sunny1
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Hadn't thought about Endless Summer, that's a good idea (particularly the moving of the suitcases!) thank you!

I'd planned to collect the car at the airport, but to be honest, you're right - it might be better (as long as I don't end up flying into Tampa! ) - that way I'd save on 5 days of car hire and a few nights of resort parking fees!

I'm sure an uber from the airport and then from our first night hotel to Universal would be doable! In that case, maybe Uber to Yacht Club and not worry about a car for the first couple of days there, too?!?! We'll be Epcot-ing to start with.

I'm sure losing out on choosing a car from the garage would be outweighed by saving those days of $$$!
if you do fly into tampa you can always get a car for the first 24 hours and that gives you a opportunity to grab essential food items for the room early the next morning before returning the car

i would also look at cabana bay and using a topcashback site to save a few extra pennies every little helps ?
sunny1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
squishy
Imagineer

squishy's Reviews
Thanks both; had no idea you could collect the car from so many places! I do love the freedom a car brings, but we’ll still have that at the villa and part of Disney, too!
Old 30 Jun 19, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Sallyingforth
Earning More Ears

We spent our first night at the Best Western Plus Universal. For us it was fine. We didn't unpack at all, we had a change of clothes in hand luggage. We were able to walk to the parks that evening and actually got lots of rides done without express passes. Came back to sleep then changed to the RPH first thing the next morning.
I think Endless Summer is an excellent idea for your in between time. I am mulling it over for ourselves and am contemplating doing away with the expensive universal hotel stay and just doing longer in a value, We were there at Easter and though we loved the express passes, it didn't seem anywhere near Disney busy. So if you wanted to risk it and have less moving around to do, why not just do endless summer or Aventura for your whole pre Disney stay?
Sallyingforth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 19, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
squishy
Imagineer

squishy's Reviews
Originally Posted by Sallyingforth View Post
So if you wanted to risk it and have less moving around to do, why not just do endless summer or Aventura for your whole pre Disney stay?
That's an interesting idea...I might review the budget once I've booked flights! I did RPR in 2014 and haven't done Universal since, but remember the Express passes were really amazing! Thank you!
DLP DCR - 2009
Old 8 Jul 19, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

Mobile

“Packing cubes”? What are they? We are also planning a split stay and I’m worried about the packing and unpacking! We have four nights RPR then to Floridays
Floridadreams is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List