Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Jul 09, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
NicolaFred
Imagineer

NicolaFred's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 13
Originally Posted by Weggy View Post
I won't post the link to it as I don't think it's appropriate but I've just seen a video on You Tube, taken inside the station almost immediately after the crash. Very surreal, no apparent urgency to get to the driver and no real sense of shock by anyone. In fact, it appears people are still trying to board the carriage immediately behind the drivers cab.

RIP young man. A very sad day for his family and for Disney.
I just came on here and saw the news on the front page, I too saw this video but on a news website, I think those are the people who were on the monorail when it crashed, not tring to board.

Its very sad, the whole front carriage was completely squashed. I hope this incident lets disney look at the safety of their monorails and my heart goes out to friends and family of this CM.

Nic & Fred Present... ALL OUR TRIP REPORTS
NicolaFred is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 09, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
scottishvixen
slightly serious Dibber

Just read about this this morning. My thought go out to the driver's friends and family. Such a tragedy
scottishvixen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 09, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post

How very sad. When we were at the Magic Kingdom in February this year, my 8 year old daughter and my husband were asked if they wanted to travel up front with the driver as there were no seats left and they did; my daughter was so excited to have a go at driving the monorail and got a little certificate signed by Mickey when she got off. It was monorail pink that we travelled on that day ... As another member has already said, perhaps Disney will review their policy on allowing guests to travel up front; I don't think I would let my children do this again after this awful news. My thoughts are with the loved ones of the cast member killed in this tragic accident.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 09, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
mrscopeman
Imagineer

Very Very Sad. The time of day it happened, suggests, sadly this might be down to error.
With Own Brood: '07 POFQ | '08 POFQ | '09 SSR | '10 BCR | '11 AKL | '12 OKW | '13 AoA | '14 OKW | '15 UCR/Texas/ASM
mrscopeman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 09, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
liberty square
Getting Excited

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Very sad news, as people have already said you never expect these sort of things to happen at Disney...RIP

How long do you expect the Monorail to be out of service ?

WDW 89, 90, 05, 07 Port Orleans 08 Animal Kingdom Lodge10 Sunset Lakes 11 Lake Berkley 12 Legacy Park 14 Miami 15 Polynesian 17 Beach Club18 OKW
DLP May & Dec 05 Sequoia Lodge May 08 Davy Crockets Feb 09 Santa Fe Aug 12 Davy Crockets
liberty square is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 09, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
TerriWest
Apprentice Imagineer

Why on earth would someone film it and why on earth would a news station show it? I presume the poor driver was still inside?

beggars belief at times what the news stations will show. A video is not appropriate to shoot or show as far as I am concerned.
I completely agree. Why would anyone's first thought be 'I must get this on film' when they see an accident! Totally beyond me. :angry:
TerriWest is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 09, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post

There is speculation on a couple of sites (mouseplanet and orlando sentinal) that the monorail did not drive into the back of another but that an empty train reversed into the parked train while manouvering to go into the sidings. Apparently while this manouvre is taking place normal safety systems are switched off. The driver of the reversing train may not have realised there was another in the station or may have thought they were reversing up the sidings track.
Old 6 Jul 09, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by TerriWest View Post
I completely agree. Why would anyone's first thought be 'I must get this on film' when they see an accident! Totally beyond me. :angry:
Agree too. My first instinct would be to try and get to the driver, not stand back and film it.
Old 6 Jul 09, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by NicolaFred View Post
I think those are the people who were on the monorail when it crashed, not tring to board.

Its very sad, the whole front carriage was completely squashed.
You could well be right.

From what I saw, it looks like a low speed impact - people in the rear of the drivers carriage are simply walking off with no obvious injuries... Makes me question how strong those drivers areas are and if, be it his going forward or the other reversing, the front of that monorail simply collapsed under the weight.
Old 6 Jul 09, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
NicolaFred
Imagineer

NicolaFred's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 13
Originally Posted by disney_cjd View Post
Why on earth would someone film it and why on earth would a news station show it? I presume the poor driver was still inside?

beggars belief at times what the news stations will show. A video is not appropriate to shoot or show as far as I am concerned.
As much as we can all agree with this, at the time they may have just wanted to document the crash, not knowing anyone was in the carriage, or that he was dead. I know in some instances i dont know which end the driver is sat. Sad i know. I have watched this film thinking it was just footage of the aftermath, the CM does usher the film-maker away.

Nic & Fred Present... ALL OUR TRIP REPORTS
NicolaFred is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List