Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Closed Thread

Old 25 Jun 20, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

They’ve got some top Imagineers working on this including one coming out of retirement especially to do it- I actually have high hopes but would have preferred to have seen them build a totally new PatF water ride instead of changing this one.
Old 25 Jun 20, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Mobile

Splash Mountain was a great ride and the new version will still be a great ride and probably more amazing than ever before with brand new animatronics and scenery! I hope it will be open by 2022.

Has anyone here ever seen Song of the South? Found it online last year, problematic yes and very naive...
YLL is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
For me this change is long overdue, the fact that Disney has held back from showing or re-releasing Song of the South for years says it all. Looking forward to a Princess and the Frog re-skin and it means they can put in a New Orleans theme that they have in Disneyland (albeit they’ll have to be careful not to jar with the old West).
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Tretinker
Very Serious Dibber

My daughters are thrilled Tiana is their favourite princess and PatF their favourite film. They love SM but glad it's being reimagine.
I was sad at first SM is a fab of mine and I'll miss the song but I have never seen Song of the South and while I'd heard their were issues I didnt know what. I did think once I saw a post on Instagram that SMs days were numbered.
1st Trip - Sept/Oct 1997 *2nd Trip - Nov/Dec 2000, *3rd Trip - Oct/Nov 2005 *4th Trip - Mar/Apr 2016 5th Trip - Easter 2017 the year of the chicken pox *6th Trip - Aug 2019 a first time for summer *7th Trip - Aug 2020 And then there were 4 *1st DLP Trip December 2020
Tretinker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 06:18 AM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by DisneyDose View Post
Re-theming Splash Mountain won't stop racism. This is a much loved ride that many millions of Black people have ridden over the years and most could care less about it's back story. Cancel culture wins the day again. Splash Mountain becomes Woke Mountain.
I can remember my Gran reading the Brer Rabbit books to me and loving them. It seems nothing can be left alone any more.

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 07:11 AM  
Link to this Post

I am very sad to read this news, I loved the theming as it was.

I do not know what the issue with Song of the South is, and after having just googled and read up, I am no wiser.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Mixed emotions

splash was a very nice ride, and like with every retheming, one ride has to go to make place for another awesome ride (or so we hope for)

it's difficult to see a ride go, but that's life. What would make it more difficult to accept would have to do with the motives behind the change

make a ride evolve, offer new content, I'm ok with that (even when I don't like the new theme. There's gotta be something for everyone in the parks)
tear down an icon because of fear of controversy, that's a sad, sad world

Edited at 07:22 AM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
amarooney
VIP Dibber

amarooney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
Why don't you believe it? There have been rumours about a change for ages.
There are always rumours at Disney. The timing is dubious bearing in mind the recent 'pressure'. They can produce concept art for all sorts of things as anyone who subscribe to the Disney Channel knows and who has a watched the Imagineering programmes. Maybe the Princess and the Frog was an idea they considered once and shelved. I would have thought the sheer size of the ride would have made re branding a long and expensive project which put them off. Who am I to doubt what a multi billion corporation says when it's trying to protect its image.
amarooney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Aimee_K
Getting Excited

This makes me so sad
I've loved this ride for a very long time, one of my first memories in 1993.
I understand sometimes change has to happen but this is such an iconic ride for Walt Disney World and i'm unsure if this would have gone ahead if recent circumstances hadn't have happened.
Maybe PatF would have been it's own ride somewhere else in the park.
I'm glad in a way that the actual ride won't change though, just the theme. I'm sure that they will do something beautiful with it and maybe brighten it up a bit.
But Splash Mountain will always hold a special place in my heart.
Aimee_K is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

So moving away from the issues around racism for a second and to the actual theme of the ride. For Disney world:

1) how does Princess and the frog fit with the area especially next to big thunder mountain
2) how does a mountain fit into the princess and the frog story

For those reasons above I think they should have considered a different theme.

Certainly, the theme fits at Disneyland but here I am not so sure
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread