Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Aug 20, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Disneycraft
Imagineer

Disneycraft's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 17

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
Question New puppy help

We’re getting a cocker spaniel pup in 3 weeks ,we’ve never had a dog before so any advice appreciated. We’ve chosen a vet ,do we have to take them there when we get him to be checked out and arrange jabs ? Also we’re getting insurance for him ,does that cover vet bills such as jabs or do we pay for them separately?

Marriott 93, MIC lakefront 94,Holiday inn 96,Rosen plaza 98,Quality inn plaza 02,BVP 06,BVP 07 ,Royal plaza 08,villa 09,villa +RPR 11,villa 12,Contemporary 13,BVP 14 ,POR xmas 15,Beach club 16,Beach Club 18 ,Contemporary 22, Sheraton LBV 23,+ DLP 03,17
Disneycraft is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 20, 07:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Labboy
VIP Dibber

Yes Disneycraft arrange a vet visit after getting them so the vet can do a health check, vaccinations are paid by you and not the insurance. Your new puppy may be a little off moving into new surroundings and being away from their litter mates but with love and attention that will pass very quickly.
Labboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 20, 07:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Disneycraft
Imagineer

Disneycraft's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 17

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Labboy View Post
Yes Disneycraft arrange a vet visit after getting them so the vet can do a health check, vaccinations are paid by you and not the insurance. Your new puppy may be a little off moving into new surroundings and being away from their litter mates but with love and attention that will pass very quickly.
Thank you , I’m reading so much conflicting advice on flea prevention and a vaccination called lepto4 . What would you recommend for flea prevention? I’ve seen drops ,collars,tablets

Marriott 93, MIC lakefront 94,Holiday inn 96,Rosen plaza 98,Quality inn plaza 02,BVP 06,BVP 07 ,Royal plaza 08,villa 09,villa +RPR 11,villa 12,Contemporary 13,BVP 14 ,POR xmas 15,Beach club 16,Beach Club 18 ,Contemporary 22, Sheraton LBV 23,+ DLP 03,17
Disneycraft is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 20, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Disneycraft View Post
Thank you , I’m reading so much conflicting advice on flea prevention and a vaccination called lepto4 . What would you recommend for flea prevention? I’ve seen drops ,collars,tablets
Take your vets advice. I’m pretty sure flea treatments should not be given to young puppies but my dogs are old so things may have changed.

My main advice. Look around your house as if you are having a crawling toddler to stay, what could it chew, pull, eat or tug on etc. Check the garden as well. Puppies are exactly like having babies
Most of all, like children, enjoy that baby stage because they grow so quickly
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 20, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

Make sure you have the same food he was given at his mum's (even if you want to change it later) Its helpful to bring a smallblanket or something as well with his mum's smell on.
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 20, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We have always used Advocate for fleas/lung worm etc. You need a prescription for the eye to order online, your vet will also sell it to you but usually for a very inflated price! Be warned. Puppies need a different wormer to adults, I think We used Panacur when our cocker was a puppy.

Some vets do a vaccination for life programs for £99 which is well worth signing up for after their Initial ones. We used to use the vets in pets at home for jabs/prescriptions for advocate etc and they were fine.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 20, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Disneycraft View Post
Flea collars as a waste of time. So are tablets. Just my opinion. We’ve had spaniels for 14 years and have always used a topical treatment. Never had any fleas etc
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 20, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Imagineer

It’s very exciting getting your first dog - we got ours two years ago ( my first dog but not DHs)
Apart from all the health advice I would say lots of patience for the toilet training and lots of love .
You will soon feel like they have always been there .
One of the best things I have ever done I’m besotted with her .
inky1 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 20, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Jabs aren't covered with Insurance and there is an excess to pay on most policies when you do have vet treatments.

I have a cocker and have had several cocker puppies over the years and they are lovely dogs. One mistake I have seen people with puppies make is that they over exercise them and sometimes will allow the kids (or adults) to keep waking them up to play with them like they are a toy which is not fair or healthy because as with any baby they need lots of sleep, plus over exercising them is not good for their little bodies. Be very strict what you give to them to eat as they love lots of treats but some people think they're being great owners and then wonder why the poor pup has the runs or is being sick (as well as unhealthy for them).

Please put some pictures on here when you get your cocker.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 20, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
mexico07
VIP Dibber

Hi Disneycraft , meet Murphy 11 and 1/2 weeks ! This is what I did - arranged a vet for health check and made sure that they use lepto 2 and not 4 , if they use 4 they will tell you it’s scare mongering and that it is perfectly fine but personally after everything I read I wouldn’t take the chance ! Good breeders will generally insure the pet for one month to give you time to get that sorted , out vet does a puppy pack which usually includes 2nd jag and kennel cough but as Murphy hadn’t had his first jag then it included both first and second for him and we paid for kennel cough extra , puppy check ups and weigh in, worming and flea if needed and puppy party when it’s back up and running and four days puppy day care if we want it to be used by six months and as we have gone to a holistic vet this time it also includes raw feed consult , all this was £50 which I felt was good value ! Our breeder has chosen not to do first jags anymore as vets use different brands and some owners where having to start again when they went to their own vet and pups ending up with too many vaccines ! Pet insurance covers illness not routine vaccines or boosters or any type of prevention, it’s a lot to take on board but you will get there , Murphy is our fourth but first boy and is completely different nature , he is a real wee live wire but so much fun and so much love 💗 you will fall so much in love with your wee spaniel pup the minute you get him 💗🐶💗

Also their are some really good spaniel groups on fb , I’m in cocker spaniels of Scotland and it’s really good for advice , everyone in the same boat xxx
mexico07 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List