Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Dec 20, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 123 View Post
For a slightly less adult content example, Owen Jones the Guardian columnist, political commentator and author started a new "type of political media" (basically a private youtube site with him commentating on the key events with his guests).

To fund it he setup a Patreon account. He currently has 1700 supporters contributing betweem £3 and £100 per month. I suspect most at the £3 level.

Even if they are all at that level he is making £61,000 a year just to post the same stuff he used to put out on youtube for free.

He still has all his book royalties, TV appearance fees (which are numerous) and journalist salary coming in as well
Nice work if you can get it !
I can’t stand him personally. My favourite moment of Electuon 19 was when the exit poll was announced on Ch 4 news, he was in the studio with the equally odious Ash Sarkah... their hearts collectively broke in front of a live U.K. audience...
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 20, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

I follow and unfollow 'influencers' all the time on Instagram, if I like their content I'll keep following and I'll happily unfollow if they annoy me or if they post too much. I've bought products that I've seen promoted on IG (#ad or #gifted) as they appeal to me. For instance, I wouldn't have known about Piglet Pantry if Amy from Love Island hadn't had one #gifted.

I'm old and wise enough to know that what I see on IG isn't real life but younger people; male and female, or people with low self-esteem or body confidence problems may not. I don't think it's camera phones that are the problem, it's the photo editing apps. It's so easy for 'normal people' to filter and edit images before posting them and I do wonder whether this distorts how people actually see what they look like. Even my 10 year old niece puts filters on her photos.

I won't name who as I'm not into body-shaming, but I follow someone who always looks great on IG posts but has recently been on TV and looks totally different. She does lots of #ad posts for clothing and cosmetic companies so the pressure to look amazing for posts much take a real toll on her. I hate to think how many negative messages she's had about her appearance since the show aired.
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 20, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Many of these 'influencers' can be ignored for being vacuous but those peddling products which make medical claims ie: weight loss etc etc should be shut down

There are also quite famous influencers who have gone into mainstream TV giving out nutritional advice and making millions from their products without having a single qualification in Nutrition and Dietary studies which I think is particularly dangerous .

Certain Newspapers also naively promote minor celebrities on 'working ' holidays which their followers believe that it is normal to be on a working holiday twerking on a yacht in a bikini in the Emirates ...Hmm
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 20, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
For instance, I wouldn't have known about Piglet Pantry if Amy from Love Island hadn't had one #gifted.
You see, that's where you're going wrong.

I've been advocating for Piglets Pantry for nearly 10 years now, since they got the pie contract when Brighton moved into the Amex.

I know the people very well and have been #gifted a box of pies when I visit them on more than one occasion.

In short: you're following the wrong accounts.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 20, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
ok boomers!

if they are happy and earning a decent income, why the need to be so salty?
I am so disappointed you have used the term Boomers here.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 20, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
Nice work if you can get it !
I can’t stand him personally. My favourite moment of Electuon 19 was when the exit poll was announced on Ch 4 news, he was in the studio with the equally odious Ash Sarkah... their hearts collectively broke in front of a live U.K. audience...
Now when it comes to Owen I have a love hate relationship.

I find his books really quite interesting and they challenge some of my views (they don't necessarily change them but they help see "the other side"). I think this is because he has pages and pages of text to explain the issue.

When it comes to his soundbites and rants on TV I could happily slap him, he is too confrontational and expects to be heard (and complains when he isn't) but happily shouts over others and feels entitled to do so.

I'm glad he exists though as a lot of the things he talks about do need a public voice, I just wish it was a different "voice"
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 20, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
You see, that's where you're going wrong.

I've been advocating for Piglets Pantry for nearly 10 years now, since they got the pie contract when Brighton moved into the Amex.

I know the people very well and have been #gifted a box of pies when I visit them on more than one occasion.

In short: you're following the wrong accounts.
And friends with the wrong people if you've been #gifted their pies
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 20, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
And friends with the wrong people if you've been #gifted their pies
Is #gifted the same as "I won an ebay auction"
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 20, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Johnnyp
Imagineer

Johnnyp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Originally Posted by wanye View Post
ok boomers!

if they are happy and earning a decent income, why the need to be so salty?
They are false and just rubbing it in with their oversized egos
Johnnyp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 20, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

I’m not an instragrammer, so all of this is like a foreign language to me. By this thread I feel I’m not missing much!
I guess I’m a bit of a dinosaur as I’ve only recently discovered the delights of Amazon...

Edited at 12:45 PM.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List