Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Jan 21, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I think if you want the convenience of the longer shopping hours etc the trade off is deliveries will have longer slots too , if only to service those people who work antisocial hours to fulfil our need .
No early morning deliveries and not after 7pm smacks a bit of 9-5 NIMBYism
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
barryp1
Imagineer

What a funny thread.

I've read through it and have no idea what the OP was thinking when they asked the question. Have I missed their explanation?
barryp1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Feebee2
Imagineer

Originally Posted by barryp1 View Post
What a funny thread.

I've read through it and have no idea what the OP was thinking when they asked the question. Have I missed their explanation?
I think it's a valid question. We know the right answer but we are all human after all and it isn't wrong to be concerned about someone's safely.
Feebee2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by barryp1 View Post
What a funny thread.

I think this is an insult to the OP.
They asked a question, based on concern for a delivery driver. Why is that "funny"?
Why would you even post this type of comment?
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Feebee2 View Post
I think it's a valid question. We know the right answer but we are all human after all and it isn't wrong to be concerned about someone's safely.
But what do you mean concern about their safety?

The OP never mentioned anything about concerns for their safety - just whether it was wise and sensible for deliveries being made by a woman in her twenties at 10pm. Even when asked to clarify whether they were referring to the age, gender, or time they said all three. So...

Is it ok to have a woman bring deliveries rather than a man? Yes. I think she'll be perfectly capable of doing the job. It's wise and sensible not to discriminate based on gender.

Is it ok that a 21-25 year old brings deliveries rather than, say, someone older? Yes. I think most people would think that a person in their 20s is perfectly capable of the doing the job. They are adults and there are plenty of other 20-somethings doing other similar jobs. Plus, again, it's not right to discriminate based on age.

Is it ok to have a delivery at 10pm? Yes. I've had one at that time myself. If the customer is happy to have a delivery at that time and a person is happy to work at that hour then I don't see it as an issue. It's wise and sensible if there is a need for this.

Now, if the OP had asked "Is it safe for a woman to be out on her own at night?" then that would have been a different discussion. But that's not what they asked and not what I thought they were asking.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by tspill View Post
I think this is an insult to the OP.
They asked a question, based on concern for a delivery driver. Why is that "funny"?
Why would you even post this type of comment?
Funny - as in strange. The original question didn't seem to be due to concern for the safety of the delivery driver. Or, at least, I didn't read it like that.

It seemed to be asking whether it ok for a woman in her 20s to be a delivery driver.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 05:53 PM. Reason: typo
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Munchkinmouse
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Originally Posted by JudyC View Post
I think any delivery jobs carry some kind of risk, no matter if it's a women or a man, young or older. A parcel delivery driver (male) was kidnapped not far from us, then released a few miles away. The opened parcels were found dumped. I guess the perpetrators were targeting high value items as it was before Christmas.
With groceries I don't think someone would be a target.
Unfortunately they can very much be a target, especially as they carry alcohol and tobacco along with food. DH delivers for Tesco and there are huge areas and many people blocked from placing orders due to various previous incidents. Just in his workplace they have had drivers assaulted, threatened with knives and iron bars and many, many attempted break ins to vans even in the few minutes drivers are at someone's doorstep! DH once had a customer lock him in their house because they were furious their cat food had been substituted! Luckily at a well built 6'4" he easily pushed them aside, got out and reported them but groceries are not as risk free as you might think
Munchkinmouse is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Funny - as in strange. The original question didn't seem to be due to concern for the safety of the delivery driver. Or, at least, I didn't read it like that.

It seemed to be asking whether it ok for a woman in her 20s to be a delivery driver.
I guess it just shows how easily the written word can be differently interpreted by different people.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Wizzyanne
Very Serious Dibber

A grown woman in her 20’s is delivering your shopping at night.

Why on earth is this even being questioned?
Bizarre!

Who were you expecting when you opened the door can I ask? 🤔
Wizzyanne is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 21, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by tspill View Post
I guess it just shows how easily the written word can be differently interpreted by different people.
So you can now see why someone would post such a comment? And why the question was not an insult but could be a genuine enquiry?

As Wizzyanne says above, we seem to be questioning the idea that a grown woman in her 20s should be delivering shopping at night. Which seems strange. Even from a safety point of view, are we questioning the idea women shouldn't be able to make up their own mind and that men should be protecting their little women forcing them to stay at home at night? Really? I can understand if some women (or men) might be scared and not want to work at night or not want to be a delivery driver, but it should be the individual person's choice as to whether they choose to do this job or not.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 11:22 AM.