Notices

Old 6 Aug 20, 07:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Switzerland Summer 2020 - Day 4 - Oberalppass

We woke up to blue skies and sunshine! Thank goodness!

F made fluffy american pancakes which we had with jam and squirty cream. And coffee of course.

By the time we were ready to leave to do the hike we had planned yesterday the sun was up over the mountains.

There were a lot more people around this morning. No surprise there!

We paid 5CHF for the parking for the day and set off up the mountain.

At the bottom of the mountain there was no snow.

Lots of lovely views!

And more!

As we got higher, there was more and more snow. Most of it fresh. June loved it! She kept rolling in it to cool off!

O carried my rucksack as he is way fitter than I am!

After about 2 hours of climbing we reached the first sign. We were now at over 2500m high.

And more spectacular views! We could also hear the ringing of the cow bells!

And onwards and upwards we went! By the time we reached the top point we had climbed over 900m vertically.

J doesn't really like heights so was uncomfortable on some of the ridges. Having said that, I should explain that three members of the family descend from goats and can walk at a fast speed even over terrible and difficult terrain. The fourth member has zero goat in her so is rather slow. Thankfully the family are used to her

Wherever you looked the views were amazing! We walked in for about another 2.5 hours.

Before arriving at the mountain refuge. The last kilometer before here was a clay mud. Thankfully I had my walking poles but the poor woman ahead of us was slipping everywhere. She was covered in mud. Not much fun for her.

We got a cheese platter which was eaten within minutes!

The final leg was towards a lake and then a loop back to the car park. There were lots of mountain flowers.

We arrived at the lake and headed into the rocky path. J and F went ahead as they were much quicker and O stayed with me. We chatted about life in general and his plans for the commuting semester - he is staying in Europe as the whole term is online due to the third wave of cases in HK.

The walk down was long - another 2 h. We kept thinking the car park would appear around each bend! As J and F were ahead of us but quite a margin, they came back in the car to a pick up point. That was much appreciated!

Overall we had done 12km, 900m uphill vertically and the same downhill. It took us about 7 hours. To say we were tired was an understatement.

Back at the house we all just collapsed. Dinner was fried egg on toast and I think we were all in bed and sleep by 9pm!

Edited at 07:42 AM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 20, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 6 Aug 20 7:40 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 20, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Borderbairn
Imagineer

Mobile

Sunshine at last. The mountains are so beautiful and the air is like champagne. Watch out for sunburn in the snow. Looks like a perfect day.

Southern Dunes 2006 & 2007 Highlands Reserve & Hard Rock Hotel May & Sep 2008 The Sanctuary West Haven 2009 Freedom of the Seas & Doubletree Resort 2010 Highlands Reserve May 2012 Windsor Hills 2014 New York 2016
Borderbairn is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 20, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

Wow what stunning scenery again. You must have all been exhausted after all that hiking! Love seeing June in the snow!
Stardust5 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 20, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Sunshine 😂 The views were pretty before but they are amazing in the sunshine. What a tiring day though, I would be way behind you that’s for sure, who wants to be a goat anyway? 😂

June looks as if she’s having a brilliant time, I’m not sure our Rolo would manage those hills and long walks anymore but he loves rolling in snow too (dogs are weird 🤣 ) The cheese platter looks good too, definitely reminding me of a scene from Heidi
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 20, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

What a brilliant hike but I’m not surprised you were shattered when you got back. All that fresh air is tiring too.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 20, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Absolutely breath taking. We stayed in Itak at Lakes and went to Switzerland for a day and through Simplon pass ...loved it and can't wait to return
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Wow, what a lovely day for your long hike 😁
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Glorious .. sunshine, scenery and pancakes. Excellent .
That was quite a hike, I did a double take Reading that after two hours you were still going up. My knees were groaning thinking about it ...
No wonder you all needed sleep !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Great scenery and lovely blue skies

Joan