Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Oct 19, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
offtoseemickey
Imagineer

offtoseemickey's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 25
First time via DUB, some Q’s

I have booked to fly from LGW to MCO via DUB.

I’ve flown indirect before, but only via somewhere in the US or via Iceland.

1) Do I still need to get to LGW 3+hours before our flight? Os would it be 2+ hours as the first flight isn’t long-haul?

2) I know we will clear US Immigration in Dublin, does this mean we go to a different part of the airport to the non-US passengers in the airport? Or does everyone mingle together?

3) (and this is a strange one) Would there be any way for me to get to Starbucks in T1, even though we fly into and out of T2? I collect the Starbucks location mugs.

4) Is there somewhere after security for us to get a nice breakfast?

5) Do we have to collect and re-check our luggage, or will this go straight through since everything is booked on one ticket?

Sorry for so many questions! And thank you

Sticking to a budget Oct ‘18 Universal & off-site dining report
offtoseemickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

1 2 hours should be fine
2 yes different part of terminal for clearing US customs
3 t1 and t2 are connected by a walkway not far.
4 after security plenty of places to eat, but once is US zone food option limited.
5 not sure re luggage
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by offtoseemickey View Post
1) Do I still need to get to LGW 3+hours before our flight? Os would it be 2+ hours as the first flight isn’t long-haul?
The 2 hours is fine as you are just flying to Dublin

2) I know we will clear US Immigration in Dublin, does this mean we go to a different part of the airport to the non-US passengers in the airport? Or does everyone mingle together?
When you get off the Gatwick plane you will follow the signs for transfer passengers. You can go to the main shopping and restaurant area in Terminal 2, with all the non US passengers if you have time before your transatlantic flight. To go to The US pre clearance you have to go down to the main depature gate area in Terminal 2 and then go down another level. There are big signs, you can't miss it.

3) (and this is a strange one) Would there be any way for me to get to Starbucks in T1, even though we fly into and out of T2? I collect the Starbucks location mugs.
Yes there is a walkway between Terminal 2 and Terminal 1 but its not sign posted. You may not have time. I go to Starbucks often when I fly Aer Lingus, it takes about 40 minutes, round trip.
  1. When you are in the main Terminal 2 shopping and restaurant area, you need to follow the signs for the 300 gates.
  2. You around the corner by the VAT Return desk, then down the escalator and then along a glass corridor.
  3. You need to go down another escalator and then along another corridor, up an incline.
  4. Keep following the signs for 300 Gates and then at the top of the incline you will see people.
  5. The 300 Gates will be on your left, go past them, up the incline and you will be in Terminal 1.
  6. The security checks will be on the right, just walk past and join the flow of people heading to the shops.
  7. Starbucks is a good way down, past all the shops, past Boots and WH Smiths, past the restaurant area, almost down at the Ryanair gates.
  8. To get back to Terminal 2 you need to reverse your journey.

4) Is there somewhere after security for us to get a nice breakfast?
All the food and shopping places are before US Pre clearance. In Terminal 2 there is a food court type place, Burger King and the bar serves food. In Terminal 1 there are alot more food options.

They call your flight to US preclearance about 2 hours before departure, so depending on how long you have between flights, you may not have time to do anything except a quick toilet stop.

5) Do we have to collect and re-check our luggage, or will this go straight through since everything is booked on one ticket?
No you do not have to collect and re check your luggage. When you go through US pre clearance you will be asked to identify your bags on a screen.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

Thanks for asking these questions. We are flying via Dublin for the first time in February so all of this is really helpful.

We were thinking of maybe booking the lounge after US Preclearance. 51st and green.
Old 20 Oct 19, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Roofus
Trading Disney Pins

My advice is to certainly book the Lounge. Because there is very very little to do, buy, drink, eat... once you get through US pre-customs.
The lounge is relatively basic, but you can eat, drink, relax, shower, etc etc.

They open pre-customs typically 3-3.5hrs before your flight. (It’ll go up on the board when it opens for your flight)
Like customs in the States... it can take a while to get through!

You’ll first have to go through a second set of security... shoes off, laptops out etc!
Then you’ll join the queue for Customs.
I’m reasonably frequently through here... I’ve had it take from 45 mins to 100 mins. I couldn’t possibly predict times, there is no apparent logic to it!

For what it’s worth... book the lounge! Head down early... get through & relax! Remember... you now get to just walk off, get your bags & your car... no queue for Customs when you arrive stateside!

Aer Lingus planes are also on the whole really nice!

It’s a win win 😉

Edited at 09:34 PM.
Roofus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

Originally Posted by Roofus View Post
My advice is to certainly book the Lounge. Because there is very very little to do, buy, drink, eat... once you get through US pre-customs.
The lounge is relatively basic, but you can eat, drink, relax, shower, etc etc.

They open pre-customs typically 3-3.5hrs before your flight. (It’ll go up on the board when it opens for your flight)
Like customs in the States... it can take a while to get through!

You’ll first have to go through a second set of security... shoes off, laptops out etc!
Then you’ll join the queue for Customs.
I’m reasonably frequently through here... I’ve had it take from 45 mins to 100 mins. I couldn’t possibly predict times, there is no apparent logic to it!

For what it’s worth... book the lounge! Head down early... get through & relax! Remember... you now get to just walk off, get your bags & your car... no queue for Customs when you arrive stateside!

Aer Lingus planes are also on the whole really nice!

It’s a win win 😉
Thank you.
Old 21 Oct 19, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
offtoseemickey
Imagineer

offtoseemickey's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 25
Mobile

Thanks everyone. We have over 4 hours so I will have time to go to Starbucks and have a bite to eat, all going well!

I don’t think the lounge is for us this time. €140 seems like too much to spend for 4 of us. I don’t think we’d get the value from it

Sticking to a budget Oct ‘18 Universal & off-site dining report
offtoseemickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
delboybloomer
Getting Excited

I also collect the mugs, there weren't any at the Starbucks 2 weeks ago.
November 2013 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
Aug 2008 & Dec 2009 - Best Western lakeside,
delboybloomer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I wasn't asked to identify my luggage when I flew recently.
I certainly recommend going via Dublin because of the pre-clearance, once you get to MCO you just get your bag and leave

Aer Lingus did lose my bag on the way home though and I didn't get it back for 5 days. I wouldn't have been happy if that had happened on the way out. Split all your belongings between cases.
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie Mum
Imagineer

Mobile

Hi all. Really interested in the via Dublin route. Did you book your flights as one ticket or separately? Wondering what works out cheaper and if we could combine with a night in Dublin!
Minnie Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List