Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Sep 19, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Gabsnoot
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Maxymoo View Post
good luck to all going this weekend. ds is now half way through freshers- he doesnt drink (and is only 17) and v shy he was v nervous when i dropped him but seems to be doing ok and has found a friend. he isnt into going out at all really but i think as time goes by he wil find lots of others arent either. he seems to be getting his bearings which is good. still getting several messages a day but i know this will go to nothing if his brother is anything to go by!
I’m glad to hear your DS has found a friend and is settling in. We dropped DD off on Thursday as she had to do onsite check-in on Friday but Freshers week doesn’t start till Monday. She is also 17, doesn’t drink and is really shy. He other housemates have not moved in yet and she is too shy to attend and of the ‘introduction’ events that have taken place today on her own. I hope she finds a friend soon.

Good luck to everyone
Gabsnoot is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
fizzypop
Imagineer

Well we have all had a rough day. My DD has been in tears for most of the day and didn’t want to leave her room after we left. As we were driving home she said she wanted us to turn around to collect her and that she had made a mistake and didn’t want to stay. She phoned us and was sobbing her heart out which is so unlike her. How I held it together I will never know.

In the end I phoned the halls and someone went to her room to see her straight away. A kind person spent 20 mins with her and messaged me to say my DD was a bit better. My DD then felt she had the courage to go into the kitchen and wait for anyone else to go in. She got chatting to them and then some others arrived. She has now gone out with them.

I am so grateful for the support for my DD from her halls and for keeping in touch with me. Please remember they can help too if needed.
fizzypop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Magic Mouse
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by fizzypop View Post
Well we have all had a rough day. My DD has been in tears for most of the day and didn’t want to leave her room after we left. As we were driving home she said she wanted us to turn around to collect her and that she had made a mistake and didn’t want to stay. She phoned us and was sobbing her heart out which is so unlike her. How I held it together I will never know.

In the end I phoned the halls and someone went to her room to see her straight away. A kind person spent 20 mins with her and messaged me to say my DD was a bit better. My DD then felt she had the courage to go into the kitchen and wait for anyone else to go in. She got chatting to them and then some others arrived. She has now gone out with them.

I am so grateful for the support for my DD from her halls and for keeping in touch with me. Please remember they can help too if needed.
It’s so difficult when our kids are upset and we’re not there to comfort them.

It’s good to know that your DD has had support from the uni.

DD had a nice afternoon out with some people off her course but I don’t think she’s feeling very happy in her flat. She says her flat mates are ok but they’re just not her type of people (iykwim).

Had a very emotional FaceTime call with her earlier 🙁

Her course starts on Monday so I’m hoping she’ll meet more like minded people then. But it’s difficult when you’re not happy where you’re staying.
Orlando/Indian Shores - Aug 14 Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 16
Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 18
Magic Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m so sorry to hear this, it’s awful when our children are upset and we can’t sort the problem out for them. Excellent to hear the halls helped and supported you and your DD though.

I do hope that she settles soon, it’s a good start that she has now gone out with some of her flat mates. I’m sure she will be fine but it’s heartbreaking to see them upset xx
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by JudeB View Post
Just left DS off at his halls. He was happy enough I think. They were getting a tour of the campus and then a hog roast this evening. We got his bed made and helped set his room up. Hopefully he’ll enjoy it. We are fortunate that he’s only an hour from home so will come home next weekend. House will definitely be quiet without him. Hope everyone else gets in ok as they set off on this next stage in life.
Great to hear that your son has settled in well. A hog roast sounds like a good way to spend his first evening. Our DD will only be around an hour from home too which she is pleased about, I think it’s just a comfort to know home isn’t too far away if they need it
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gabsnoot View Post
I’m glad to hear your DS has found a friend and is settling in. We dropped DD off on Thursday as she had to do onsite check-in on Friday but Freshers week doesn’t start till Monday. She is also 17, doesn’t drink and is really shy. He other housemates have not moved in yet and she is too shy to attend and of the ‘introduction’ events that have taken place today on her own. I hope she finds a friend soon.

Good luck to everyone
It’s difficult when they are a little younger. My DD is 18 but doesn’t drink so she was worried that Freshers week would be difficult for her but her uni has a lot of non drinking activities for Freshers too. She said it’s going to be hard to push herself to join in but she is going to try to go to quite a few things to help her make friends. I hope your DD plucks up the courage and makes some friends soon xx
Old 14 Sep 19, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

Oh bless her! So pleased that she has gone out with some of her flat mates now. Well done for holding it together, it must have been heartbreaking to hear her so upset. That’s great that someone from her halls could go and see her and reassure her. Let’s hope next time she speaks to you she is much happier.
Ben is off tomorrow, I think he is a little nervous but I’m sure he will be fine. Not sure how I will be, already had a few tears when I was packing all his things and sorting out with him although I did manage to hide that from him. It’s going to be a tough day tomorrow.
Well done on all those who managed to get through today and good luck to those still to take their children.
Stardust5 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
vanlou
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 40
Just want to say that sometimes things don’t go to plan. Our eldest had a place at Cheltenham- we took her up there, moved her in and then at 3am in the morning had a text to say she had made the wrong decision so we needed to pick her up in the morning. After many discussions with her and the pastoral team we couldn’t change her mind and packed everything up and took her home again. I won’t lie, I felt a total failure as a parent that we hadn’t brought her up to be able to cope with this. Fast forward a year and she took up a place at Plymouth Uni commuting by train every day (we live in Cornwall). Now fast forward another year and we have just moved her into a shared house with her friends. She is such a more confident person now compared to 2 years ago. That year out was necessary to build her confidence.
So if things don’t go to planned - don’t give up. It might just be the making of them

DLP Aug 2004 SQL, Dec 2007 HNY, Dec 2008 DLH
WDW Aug 2011 POFQ/RPR, Aug 2014 - HRH/POFQ
August 2014 trip report - Er, where's the rain?

Edited at 10:55 PM.
vanlou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Magic Mouse View Post
It’s so difficult when our kids are upset and we’re not there to comfort them.

It’s good to know that your DD has had support from the uni.

DD had a nice afternoon out with some people off her course but I don’t think she’s feeling very happy in her flat. She says her flat mates are ok but they’re just not her type of people (iykwim).

Had a very emotional FaceTime call with her earlier 🙁

Her course starts on Monday so I’m hoping she’ll meet more like minded people then. But it’s difficult when you’re not happy where you’re staying.
So sorry to hear your DD isn’t settling too well MM, it’s a shame her flat mates aren’t her type of people. My DD has joined online groups for her uni and says she thinks her course mates seem more her type of person than people in her halls (although the ones on her floor seem more he’d type thankfully but she will find out when she moves in next week ) Hopefully your DD will feel better when she starts the course and meets people with similar interests to her.

I’m dreading a phone call with DD upset about something (and I’m sure there will be one as I think everyone has a wobble) as my instinct will be to drive straight to Bristol for her 😢 but I must try to remember that it will take time to settle, going to be hard though
Old 14 Sep 19, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Stardust5 View Post
Oh bless her! So pleased that she has gone out with some of her flat mates now. Well done for holding it together, it must have been heartbreaking to hear her so upset. That’s great that someone from her halls could go and see her and reassure her. Let’s hope next time she speaks to you she is much happier.
Ben is off tomorrow, I think he is a little nervous but I’m sure he will be fine. Not sure how I will be, already had a few tears when I was packing all his things and sorting out with him although I did manage to hide that from him. It’s going to be a tough day tomorrow.
Well done on all those who managed to get through today and good luck to those still to take their children.
Good luck for you and Ben tomorrow, I hope it goes well for you. I think tears are natural at this point and I’m sure I will be just the same next weekend when Georgia goes 😭

Big hugs to you for tomorrow xx