Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 1 Sep 11, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
carolshack
Very Serious Dibber

Toll Booth Question

We're still on our hols. Having a fantastic time, as always, but flying home tomorrow (sadly ).

Just wanted to ask if any other Dibbers had encountered problems with the toll booths where you throw the exact coins in the big basket coin feeder? We've used toll roads on many previous occasions with no problems at all, but whilst we were driving on the 417 last week, we drove up and threw the exact coins in for our $1.25 toll charge, but most of the coins did not register... In the end, in desperation, we threw in every single coin we had, but it still kept telling us we owed another 20 cents or so and the red light would not change... ! We must have put about $5 worth of change in there, so we had obviously not underpaid... By this time, I was starting to panic and the queue was building up behind us... I walked across to one of the manned booths & told them that I thought it was faulty and she just said "it's ok - you can go... "

Has anyone experienced this and if so, did you get any comebacks? I know the toll attendant said we could go, but still worried about getting a "violation".
carolshack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 11, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Guidebook Photos: 69
Not had any problems, but we only had to use one. We only used Quarters it them though. We did always use the manned toll booths were available as I have heard people have had issues before like this.
SMAX is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 11, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
carolshack
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by SMAX View Post
Not had any problems, but we only had to use one. We only used Quarters it them though. We did always use the manned toll booths were available as I have heard people have had issues before like this.
Yeah, we only used quarters, too, but then every single coin in my purse was thrown in afterwards... ! It seemed to be counting every coin as one cent, no matter what coin we put in... !

On our way back to the airport tomorrow, we shall be only going to the booths which are manned... ! Not only was it very embarrassing, but I've been worried ever since that we're going to get charged for not paying our full toll charge, despite it not being our fault...
carolshack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 11, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
MOUSEMARSH
VIP Dibber

We have never had any problems in the US but did have a problem at the Booths for the Mersey Tunnels once. These are coin readers so I suppose they do go wrong from time to time.

If I added it all up I probably could have bought a 4 Bed Detached House
MOUSEMARSH is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 11, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post

The only problem my DH has is not being able to aim well enough
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 11, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
KK_Cat
VIP Dibber

KK_Cat's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
It has happened me once or twice that it doesn't read 1 coin (always use quarters too) but once I threw in another 1 it was OK, never had to throw in more than 1 extra. I keep a bag of quarters especially for tolls and laundry rooms so always have plenty of spares (not that I'd want to throw in $5 worth, that's really taking the biscuit! )
Next trip: Nov 2023
KK_Cat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 11, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
paddy doyle
Earning More Ears

It happened to me last year & everything was ok.

Never heard a thing.
paddy doyle is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 11, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Buzz's buddy
slightly serious Dibber

First time I went, straight off the plane, I didn't have any change just loads of bills and the first booth was unmanned.
I had to drive through, lights flashed, bell rang but when I dropped the car off there were no problems.
I think if you skipped all the tolls for your entire holiday there may be a problem but for a one off I wouldn't worry.
Buzz's buddy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 11, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

Both my dh and dd had problems with a coin toll both on the 417 last week so there must be a fault. They must be making a fortune on it, because they did exactly the same :angry:
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 11, 12:46 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Buzz's buddy View Post
First time I went, straight off the plane, I didn't have any change just loads of bills and the first booth was unmanned.
I had to drive through, lights flashed, bell rang but when I dropped the car off there were no problems.
I think if you skipped all the tolls for your entire holiday there may be a problem but for a one off I wouldn't worry.
Not sure what route you took but all on direct routes from either SFB or MCO the first tolls are manned for those worried about tolls.

From MCO it's harder to to join the SR417 or 528 where the first tolls are manned than avoid them

Route from SFB is reasonably OK for the SR417 where the first toll is manned but if you got lost you might find a unmanned entry.

These days you have to enter a slip road on the right to pay.

Also if you have a toll violation you may invoke the car rental toll pass scheme which in the case of Alamo at $6 isn't a bad thing.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread