Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Oct 20, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

And we here everyday that we should let everyone into our country, 7500 across the channel this year alone. 25,000 Asylum seekers last year with very few sent back and the vast majority disappeared in towns throughout the UK
jdouds is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
And we here everyday that we should let everyone into our country, 7500 across the channel this year alone. 25,000 Asylum seekers last year with very few sent back and the vast majority disappeared in towns throughout the UK
Unfortunately the majority aren't actual asylum seekers but illegal immigrants, but when they are put up in 4 star hotels at the British tax payers expense when we have food banks for our hungry children, it's no wonder they see us as a soft touch.

The minority who are genuine asylum seekers usually pass through many safe countries to get to the UK and then risk the dangerous crossing over the channel which speaks for itself.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
Unfortunately the majority aren't actual asylum seekers but illegal immigrants, but when they are put up in 4 star hotels at the British tax payers expense when we have food banks for our hungry children, it's no wonder they see us as a soft touch.

The minority who are genuine asylum seekers usually pass through many safe countries to get to the UK and then risk the dangerous crossing over the channel which speaks for itself.
The fact we have many U.K. homeless, including veterans, living rough on the streets and yet these illegals are showered with resources as soon as they land on our shores galls me beyond belief!
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
The fact we have many U.K. homeless, including veterans, living rough on the streets and yet these illegals are showered with resources as soon as they land on our shores galls me beyond belief!
I absolutely agree, and our government has been promising to deal with this situation for many years and it's all hot air especially when they are put up in lovely hotels (what message does that send them).

It's not just the millions upons millions it cost that concerns me, but around 85% are young men most of whom destroy their passports and we have no way of establishing their backgrounds. Sadly not all want to come here to contribute in any way to our society, but to take what they can while fighting against the values we hold so dearly.

Many don't even attempt to claim asylum when they arrive here but instead go into hiding.

Edited at 08:21 PM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

I absolutely agree, and our government has been promising to deal with this situation for many years and it's all hot air especially when they are put up in lovely hotels (what message does that send them).

It's not just the millions upons millions it cost that concerns me, but around 85% are young men most of whom destroy their passports and we have no way of establishing their backgrounds. Sadly not all want to come here to contribute in any way to our society, but to take what they can while fighting against the values we hold so dearly.

Many don't even attempt to claim asylum when they arrive here but instead go into hiding in our country.
... and yet we have British people welcoming them to our shores ... probably the same people who will bitterly complain when the next “terrorist” atrocity takes place. With “selective” policing going on too ... I fear for the future ...
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
johnandmaz
Imagineer

So many ill informed things in your post that you base your opinions on.

The majority aren't actual asylum seekers? Factually wrong. All asylum seekers are investigated by UK authorities. Nearly 70% are deemed genuine asylum seekers. So far from the majority - not an opinion - just a base fact. A long process which should be speeded up. But that's a choice by our Government - nothing else. Throw money at it, the process speeds up and the failed asylum seekers can be returned. However we choose to prioritise the nation's finances elsewhere.

Feed and house them? We have an international legal obligation to treat asylum seekers well - whatever our opinions of them are. Don't disagree about feeding our hungry children but hey - our representatives voted against that last week.

Soft touch you say? We are 17th out of 27 EU countries in asylum applications. Germany takes 3 times as many. Appreciate it's more difficult to get here than other countries but again, factually wrong.

And lastly - the big myth. Asylum seekers do not under international law, have to claim asylum in the first country they come to. Not an opinion. Plain fact. I'm always amazed people repeat that before googling.

Everyone entitled to opinions and I'm not agreeing or disagreeing in this instance. But it's best to do a basic check and base them on the real world - not what Julia Hartley Brewer or Farage spouts. It destroys any point you might try to make.

Florida - 91, 93, 94, 95, 97, 01, 03, 05, 07 - twice, 09, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 24
johnandmaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by johnandmaz View Post
So many ill informed things in your post that you base your opinions on.

The majority aren't actual asylum seekers? Factually wrong. All asylum seekers are investigated by UK authorities. Nearly 70% are deemed genuine asylum seekers. So far from the majority - not an opinion - just a base fact. A long process which should be speeded up. But that's a choice by our Government - nothing else. Throw money at it, the process speeds up and the failed asylum seekers can be returned. However we choose to prioritise the nation's finances elsewhere.

Feed and house them? We have an international legal obligation to treat asylum seekers well - whatever our opinions of them are. Don't disagree about feeding our hungry children but hey - our representatives voted against that last week.

Soft touch you say? We are 17th out of 27 EU countries in asylum applications. Germany takes 3 times as many. Appreciate it's more difficult to get here than other countries but again, factually wrong.

And lastly - the big myth. Asylum seekers do not under international law, have to claim asylum in the first country they come to. Not an opinion. Plain fact. I'm always amazed people repeat that before googling.

Everyone entitled to opinions and I'm not agreeing or disagreeing in this instance. But it's best to do a basic check and base them on the real world - not what Julia Hartley Brewer or Farage spouts. It destroys any point you might try to make.
I would appreciate where you get your facts regards 70% being genuine asylum seekers (even if that's correct that still leaves 30% who are illegal immigrants)?

I would also be interested in what percentage of illegal immigrants are returned, because I understand that only a minority are ever returned, but you might know better?

I understand that we can't let them go hungry and at no point did I suggest we did, but putting them up in 4 star hotels when kids instead go hungry is just beyond belief.

I don't get you point on us being 17th out of 27 EU countries for EU applications and what bearing that has on the point I made. No doubt many more would be here if they could afford the illegal cost of getting here, and the amount of them arriving here is increasing (unless you know differently), and the queue across the water is getting longer. Bear in mind that many EU countries openly accepted them (something that they now appear to be regretting).

I didn't say anywhere that asylum seekers have to claim asylum in the first country they arrive in, so no googling required on my part, what I clearly said was that they often pass through many safe countries in order to get to the UK and then risk the dangerous crossing to get here.

So where are the 'so many' ill informed things in my post I referred to?

Edited at 08:54 PM.
Old 29 Oct 20, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Agreed
jdouds is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

On one of today’s tv shows an eastern gentleman was caught working illegally, the police took him home to get his passport, they found a wife and child , and 6 other men living In another room who had gone missing while claiming asylum.
Old 29 Oct 20, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
On one of today’s tv shows an eastern gentleman was caught working illegally, the police took him home to get his passport, they found a wife and child , and 6 other men living In another room who had gone missing while claiming asylum.
That is unfortunately so common and although the figures vary because no one can know for sure, some sources say we have around a million illegal immigrants in the UK.

The problem is the claim for asylum can take years with appeal after appeal even if they don't go into hiding.