Old 18 May 19, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Budget Breakdown:

As mentioned in the first post I was thinking of trying to do this for £1800 for the main elements of the trip. Actual spend so far breaks down like this:

£155 Eurotunnel return
£258 Hotel for DLP (off property) x3 nts incl. breakfast
£284 DLP tickets: 2x adult 2 day Park Hoppers
£518 Europa-Park campsite (onsite teepee) x3 nts +breakfast & park entry (€590)
£646 Efteling Hotel (onsite) x3 nts +breakfast & park entry (€736)

Total for this (having used today's rate of 1.14 €-£) is £1861.

I had allowed £150 for fuel and tolls (economical car). Adding that up puts me at £2011. I also splashed on the Buffalo Bills Wild West show premium tickets at £140 for the pair so we'll be eating cream crackers by Day 3 based on my budgeting skills

In terms of flexibility:
- the Paris hotel is free cancellation until a few weeks before we go
- Europa-park I have paid in full (could have just done a deposit), their customer service is excellent so suspect if I did need to change something they would be helpful
- I paid €7 extra for cancellation insurance for Efteling
- Eurotunnel is a non refundable ticket but I tend to book a cheap time and turn up early, often they put you on the 1st train available

Worth noting that if DW were suddenly to decide to come along as a 3rd person, the extra cost would only be breakfasts on the rooms and the park tickets. I reckon that total trip cost before daily spends would rise from @£2027 to @£2500-2600, a big drop in the cost per person (so a family of 2 adults 2 kids in one room around the £3k mark I estimate).

Finally, if I'd realised I was going to go over budget I might have pulled in a couple of points on the itinerary to save money. Still considering a tweak to check out of Efteling on Day 9 instead of Day 10 as I reckon that will save about £150 and a morning off work (in exchange for a more stressful last day with a late Eurotunnel trip).
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it

Edited at 10:49 AM. Reason: Costs updated
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 19, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
florida addict
Imagineer

florida addict's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
would you look at hiring a motor home ? if you buy an AP for DLP you can park for free in it. Im sure there are parking facilities close to the other parks too. This may cut down on the initial budget of 1500
Old 18 May 19, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Originally Posted by florida addict View Post
would you look at hiring a motor home ? if you buy an AP for DLP you can park for free in it. Im sure there are parking facilities close to the other parks too. This may cut down on the initial budget of 1500
I'd love to try a motorhome trip one day but they're expensive and with the AP cost too I'm pretty sure that's going to go a lot higher. Thanks for reading
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

This trip sounds fab. We have talked about Europa park and Efteling so I’m keen to learn more. The teepee looks amazing! DH wouldn’t mind the driving. Looking forward to hearing all about this one.
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post

This trip sounds amazing! Literally this time last year we were on our own road trip to Europa Park and Efteling (link to the trip report in my signature if you are interested!) - we stayed at the Efteling Hotel and also ate at the Camp Resort at EP.

Edit - looks like you already read it

Hope you have a fab time, feel free to ask any questions if you want
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Originally Posted by Animagus View Post
This trip sounds fab. We have talked about Europa park and Efteling so I’m keen to learn more. The teepee looks amazing! DH wouldn’t mind the driving. Looking forward to hearing all about this one.
Lots more planning to come so stay tuned and then hopefully the trip itself won't disappoint

Originally Posted by Stubbs86 View Post
This trip sounds amazing! Literally this time last year we were on our own road trip to Europa Park and Efteling (link to the trip report in my signature if you are interested!) - we stayed at the Efteling Hotel and also ate at the Camp Resort at EP.

Edit - looks like you already read it

Hope you have a fab time, feel free to ask any questions if you want
Yes great thanks, I'll definitely have some questions as we get closer to the date. Yours was indeed one of the threads I followed around the time we were booking (I forget the exact timing but will look up again now!)
Old 22 May 19, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Boring planning post (sorry!) but useful for me and maybe for someone DIY'ing a similar trip.

Main Bookings:

Eurotunnel journey - booked
Paris hotel - booked (check for other deals or DLP offers close to date)
DLP tickets - booked
Europa-Park hotel - booked
Europa-Park tickets - booked
Efteling hotel & tickets - booked and pack received
Buffalo Bill show - booked and tickets received
Cora show/Efteling - booked

Documentation:

Passports ok for dates
Driving licence needed
Car insurance certificate (probably needed)
Travel insurance should be covered, check
E111/EHIC form or whatever it's called now

Car related stuff:

Check car requirements France, Germany, Belgium, NL (last time: GB sticker, headlight stickers, first aid kit, yellow jaunes, em triangle)
Washer fluid
Check oil and tyre pressure
European map (back-up to phone nav)
Breakdown cover on insurance (added for Europe)
Car insurance covers EU
Spare car key

Other Admin:

Brexit deadline is after we return
Phone plan covers EU and phone topped up
Check DD's phone plan
get €100 emergency cash (otherwise using ATMs)
Prep list of emergency numbers for DD (+ some €)

Other Reservations

Book any Disney table service 2 months out = mid August (Inventions for Day 3 dinner booked)
Other restaurant bookings Europapark and Efteling, booked Captain's Finest 19:30 Day 4 and Kings Surprise Menu Efteling Day 8 20:15
Check spas (the therme type not the treatments type ) and if any bookings needed
Any other dining planning
Check for anything else reservable at DLP/Efteling/Europa-park

Edited at 08:06 PM.
Old 23 May 19, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Beaker7929
Imagineer

Beaker7929's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 101
Ooh I'll be reading this with interest as my son has just recently got REALLY into theme parks having discovered Theme Park Worldwide on You Tube. I think he'd love to go to Europa Park but having investigated how to get there it looks like driving is the most sensible option but that kind of trip isn't something I've done before so it's all a tad daunting!

Twitter - @rpaisley79 / Instagram - rachelpaisley79

Upcoming Hols *July '19 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*August 2020 WDW Coronado Springs*

Previous Hols *Jan '19 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Jan '18 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Oct '17 Cheyenne*Jan '17 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Jan '16 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*March '15 - Cheyenne*Nov '13 - Cheyenne*Feb '12 - Newport Bay*April '08 - Santa Fe*March '05 - Santa Fe*

Click here for my Disneyland Paris Trip Reports
Beaker7929 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Originally Posted by Beaker7929 View Post
Ooh I'll be reading this with interest as my son has just recently got REALLY into theme parks having discovered Theme Park Worldwide on You Tube. I think he'd love to go to Europa Park but having investigated how to get there it looks like driving is the most sensible option but that kind of trip isn't something I've done before so it's all a tad daunting!
Great to have you following

We're driving because of the multi stops and I want to pick up some booze on the way. Could a flight to Strasbourg be another option for you? I haven't looked I must admit but it's not that far (56km?) from Rust where Europa-park is. Will keep updating with progress anyway
Old 26 May 19, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Beaker7929
Imagineer

Beaker7929's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 101
Mobile

Originally Posted by theCMG View Post
Great to have you following

We're driving because of the multi stops and I want to pick up some booze on the way. Could a flight to Strasbourg be another option for you? I haven't looked I must admit but it's not that far (56km?) from Rust where Europa-park is. Will keep updating with progress anyway
I can't find any direct flights, with the exception of one from Heathrow which is about 2 hours from us (Gatwick is our closest airport).

It was a bit of a shock to see how difficult it was to get there when getting to DLP is so easy! Will be following your trip with interest

Twitter - @rpaisley79 / Instagram - rachelpaisley79

Upcoming Hols *July '19 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*August 2020 WDW Coronado Springs*

Previous Hols *Jan '19 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Jan '18 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Oct '17 Cheyenne*Jan '17 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Jan '16 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*March '15 - Cheyenne*Nov '13 - Cheyenne*Feb '12 - Newport Bay*April '08 - Santa Fe*March '05 - Santa Fe*

Click here for my Disneyland Paris Trip Reports
Beaker7929 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List