Notices

Old 26 May 19, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Just to jump in - you can also fly to Baden-Baden or Basel and travel to Europa Park from there. Hire car is best for flexibility but there are public transport options too.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 19, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Beaker7929 View Post
I can't find any direct flights, with the exception of one from Heathrow which is about 2 hours from us (Gatwick is our closest airport).

It was a bit of a shock to see how difficult it was to get there when getting to DLP is so easy! Will be following your trip with interest
Strasbourg is one of those locations where the routes are up and down every year. I was going to suggest some other airports but you already have some good advice below. This link from the Europa-Park site might also help

Originally Posted by Stubbs86 View Post
Just to jump in - you can also fly to Baden-Baden or Basel and travel to Europa Park from there. Hire car is best for flexibility but there are public transport options too.
Thanks, very welcome for you to jump in as the one with experience of this Wanted to visit Baden Baden at some point, looks nice albeit infamous from the 2006 World Cup WAGs circus
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Pre-trip update, you might have seen in the itinerary that I have 2 possible spa visits mentioned.

This is very much not the massage and pampering products based nonsense beloved of the DW's of this world (actually and DM too, probably DD before much longer )

No what we're talking here is yer proper manly spa action often called a thermae or terme in Europe i.e. getting in very hot natural baths then jumping into freezing cold water, realising it's too cold and getting back in the hot one again. We're talking saunas and trying to avoid getting into conversation with manspreadingly naked, hairy Hungarian men while protected only by a towel

Anyway these sort of things ideally in Europe on a mountaintop and even more ideally not too pricey Here's a few we've enjoyed (nr Lake Lucerne, Basel, Bath, Italy (Apennines) and Germany nr Salzburg/Austrian border. They all tend to have several areas inside and out but this gives an idea, not my photos you'd get arrested with a camera

This one is still DM's 'Happy Place'

Bath Thermae the reimagined Roman baths

Starting to get DD into this fabulous holiday activity now. She did the one in Italy but most places have an age limit that she's only just getting past now. Have been looking for spas that are on our route. Ideal would be up near Baden Baden (North of Strasbourg) which is a centre for this but it might be a little far. Possibles at the moment are firstly in France:

Looks like a nice refurbed Roman gaff with updated plumbing in a Plombieres (DLP-Europapark leg).

There's also this one in Chaudefontaine Belgium for the Europapark-Efteling route:

More research needed...
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Dining Plans

A little bit on our eating plans as they stand at the moment. Most of these are subject to change, I haven’t been through them with DD yet and the Buffalo Bills show is the only reservation (commitment as paid in full) at this stage.

Day 1: Home to Paris

Breakfast: we’re on an early morning Eurotunnel so imagine we’ll grab something on the way or at the terminal and eat it in the car on the train. Will avoid last time’s early morning large pack of mini sausages that led to all manner of strange smells on the journey! Something relatively healthy ahead of a junk foodie type day - whisper it we may even bring something from home…

Lunch: this will probably be in Calais and based around a trip to the wine shop. Given that it’s October this might be the final week of UK in the single market in which case my main concern would be piling into any possible wine warehouse clearing action on the hunt for bargains. Even without that I’d pick up a few boxes of cheaper stuff and a some nicer stuff for Christmas. Not ideal to buy it on the way out then lug it across the continent but it shouldn’t be hot enough to spoil left in the car and I’ll have just not go too nuts with the weight

Anyway there’s a McD’s drive thru next to the wine place I have a loyalty card for so that looks favourite

Dinner: In the afternoon the likelihood is that we’ll be doing a bit of shopping at the Val d'Europe Shopping Center near DLP. On our DLP weekend a few years back it had rained incessantly and we’d ended up spending a good afternoon here (partly to get more weatherproof clothes

The Big Fernand (Gourmet French burgers?)
Brioche Doree (French bakery)
EKK Nature’s Kitchen (healthy light stuff)
Fast Food Factory & Co (Sandwiches & other stuff?)
Fresh Burritos (guess!)
Hippopotamus (French Steakhouse)
Kyoto (Japanese)
Cafe & Brasserie IT (Italian)
La Cantine Libanaise (Lebanese)
La Criee (Seafood)

There’s many more options, I’ve left out the snackier ones for ice cream and crepes etc. but they could be a dessert option. DD can decide what we go for on the day. At first glance I like the sound of The Big Fernand, the Burrito place, Hippopotamus (hopefully no relation to Giraffe which I personally am not a fan of) and Cafe & Brasserie IT.

The Big Fernand - this did catch my eye I’ll admit

Day 2: DLP

Second day is a park day and will start with the breakfast included with our hotel/guesthouse. High hopes for a nice fresh continental breakfast here to set us up for the day.

Lunch options are many and confusing, will be looking for advice closer to the date. Our history with DLP food isn’t great so there’s a possibility we could go back to Earl of Sandwich but I’d also consider a good QS in the Studios or MK as long as it’s different from the barbeque we have later.

Definitely an option

Dinner is the Buffalo Bill wild west show.

We’re really looking forward to the show itself, hopefully the food will be decent too. I upgraded to get the better seats and it comes with a non alcoholic cocktail and snacks. If the food is Hoop de doo Revue standard I’ll be chuffed but I have my doubts

Googled for a pic of the food and this came back from the DIBB so a photography credit to Hannikins

Day 3: DLP

Starting again with hotel breakfast but today I’m thinking about a character lunch at Inventions in the Disneyland Hotel. I’ve no doubt it’s overpriced for the food but love the varied character line-ups they have which you don’t seem to see anywhere else.

Guessing this requires good timing to book and looks like it’s @60 days so I’ll be keeping an eye out when we get into early August. For dinner I’m thinking we’ll have done a fairly busy day 2 and get out of the park to eat somewhere near the hotel at a proper French restaurant before we leave. Towns near to where we’re staying include Beautheil or Coulommiers, a first run at tripadvisor suggested maybe this place

Here’s some excerpts from the menu they have set options and pricing looks good

Day 4 breakfast will be at the hotel as we check out and I’ll add some more days later.
Old 10 Jun 19, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
created another silly tile to put in my signature:

At one stage I was thinking of Scream 2/I know what you ate last Summer as a title but maybe that's an overkill
Old 15 Jun 19, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Pez01
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Hurrah signing up to follow along - I’d love to do a European russ trio when Eva’s a little older and I get over my fear of driving outside of the UK.

2001 Sheraton International Drive
2016 Caribbean Beach Resort
2017 Port Orleans Riverside
2018 Port Orleans Riverside and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Port Orleans French Quarter and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Disneyland Paris Disneyland Hotel
Pez01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Originally Posted by Pez01 View Post
Hurrah signing up to follow along - I’d love to do a European russ trio when Eva’s a little older and I get over my fear of driving outside of the UK.
Cheers, I love a road trip, the driving is less scary than you'd imagine
Old 17 Jun 19, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by theCMG View Post
Cheers, I love a road trip, the driving is less scary than you'd imagine
This looks like such a fun road trip! We're hoping to visit Europa Park and the area this summer. Also hoping to try this toboggan run
sommerrodelbahn-gutach.d...lish-visitors/
And indoor water park
badeparadies-schwarzwald.de/en/

We visited Efteling last summer and loved it; such a beautiful park, some great rides and lovely laid back atmosphere.
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Originally Posted by Lily8 View Post
This looks like such a fun road trip! We're hoping to visit Europa Park and the area this summer. Also hoping to try this toboggan run
sommerrodelbahn-gutach.d...lish-visitors/
And indoor water park
badeparadies-schwarzwald.de/en/

We visited Efteling last summer and loved it; such a beautiful park, some great rides and lovely laid back atmosphere.
thank you for that link to the summer toboggan that is right up our street and could be do-able on the morning we leave Europa-Park (maybe 30 mins in the wrong direction). If I offer DD that or a quick scoot around Strasbourg guess what she's going to pick Saw a very similar one on the Endless Adventure vlog but think that was in Austria.

Also love the the water paradise place you linked. You would do very well in our family lol.

It's not going to happen this time but DD and I have long had our eye in spending a night or two relaxing in this aircraft hangar turned tropical waterpark resort near Berlin tropical-islands.de/en/p...ropical-world/ basically it's like someone pimped centerparcs oh and cut the prices by a huge amount.

Wish I was there now Thanks for following!
Old 19 Jun 19, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by theCMG View Post
thank you for that link to the summer toboggan that is right up our street and could be do-able on the morning we leave Europa-Park (maybe 30 mins in the wrong direction). If I offer DD that or a quick scoot around Strasbourg guess what she's going to pick Saw a very similar one on the Endless Adventure vlog but think that was in Austria.

Also love the the water paradise place you linked. You would do very well in our family lol.

It's not going to happen this time but DD and I have long had our eye in spending a night or two relaxing in this aircraft hangar turned tropical waterpark resort near Berlin tropical-islands.de/en/p...ropical-world/ basically it's like someone pimped centerparcs oh and cut the prices by a huge amount.

Wish I was there now Thanks for following!
Wow, this place looks amazing! I've added it to my bookmarks immediately We are hoping to squeeze a visit to Colmar and perhaps Strasbourg, if only for a quick bite to eat - I think we can tempt my cheese and olives loving daughter away from the theme/water park for a few hours
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List