Yes! get a grip 120 47.06%
No! I'm being sensible 135 52.94%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 Mar 20, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Pagan8c
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by sunshines View Post
I appreciate you thinking of our situation. I understand the masks are not the most comfortable thing to wear and I understand your experience of wearing them for short periods. (I can imagine I wouldn't want to wear one for long periods of time either!) I haven't worn them before, but I do know people who have worn them regularly for extended periods of time. Her doctor recommends it in this situation (yes, it would be several hours at one go). I'm sure she won't be happy, but I think she would be willing to wear it to reduce her risk. Are you sure the mask will have to be removed in security? I will ask friends who have worn them in airports for their advice. Thanks, again, for thinking of us.
A friend of mine has just returned from Spain and 1 of the pax was wearing a mask and had to remove it at passport control.
Pagan8c is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 20, 04:26 AM  
Link to this Post
sunshines
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Not everyone else. In fact, I suspect most people are not stockpiling inhalers, antibiotics, antibacterial gel/wash, gloves, masks, a bit of food and water. etc. No one I know is doing that.

Four weeks on and not a huge amount has changed really, other than perhaps an increase in the levels of stress online.
Maybe "concerned" is a better word then? I think most people are concerned. Certainly governments are. Countries all over the world are taking steps... doing things differently... concerned about containing the virus. You haven't noticed?

Some family and friends of ours are certainly making sure they have all their prescriptions current (and refilling now if they can). Many places are sold out of antibac gel, which tells me that many people are buying/using more frequently and making sure they have a bit extra.

I certainly didn't expect things to turn this way, and I do wonder what it will be like in this country in six weeks. OP wondered before I did. No problems there. Many of us are wondering now.
Old 4 Mar 20, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Maybe "concerned" is a better word then? I think most people are concerned. Certainly governments are. Countries all over the world are taking steps... doing things differently... concerned about containing the virus. You haven't noticed?

Some family and friends of ours are certainly making sure they have all their prescriptions current (and refilling now if they can). Many places are sold out of antibac gel, which tells me that many people are buying/using more frequently and making sure they have a bit extra.

I certainly didn't expect things to turn this way, and I do wonder what it will be like in this country in six weeks. OP wondered before I did. No problems there. Many of us are wondering now.
Mildly concerned, yes (although I’d say not everyone is concerned).

Panicking or stockpiling stuff, no.

There are far more other things that I’m more concerned about than the Coronavirus.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 09:35 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 20, 11:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by stockport1965 View Post
What’s interesting from that webpage are the following graphs, especially the second one:

These show that the rate of recovering cases is higher than the rate of new cases. That last one shows that over the last two weeks or so the number of people recovering from COVID-19 each day has been higher than the number of new people being infected by COVID-19 each day.

Or, to put it another way, the total number of people that actually have the virus at any one time is getting less.

We get told about the number of new confirmed cases all the time (the news likes to make a big deal about 2 or 3 new cases) but we don’t seem to be told about the number of recovered cases.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 20, 12:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
What’s interesting from that webpage are the following graphs, especially the second one:

These show that the rate of recovering cases is higher than the rate of new cases. That last one shows that over the last two weeks or so the number of people recovering from COVID-19 each day has been higher than the number of new people being infected by COVID-19 each day.

Or, to put it another way, the total number of people that actually have the virus at any one time is getting less.

We get told about the number of new confirmed cases all the time (the news likes to make a big deal about 2 or 3 new cases) but we don’t seem to be told about the number of recovered cases.
This would all be very lovely, but that does not tell the full story...

1. Of the c95,000 cases to date, over 80,000 have been in China. China has imposed what could be viewed as incredibly draconian measures in the worst hit area to limit the spread of the virus.

2. China's measures have been incredibly effective at stemming the spread of the virus, meaning fewer and fewer new cases emerging there.

3. In parallel with this, the virus has started to spread elsewhere, most notably in South Korea, Iran and Northern Italy.

4. Because of the scale of the initial outbreak in China, the "good news" stats from China mask the "bad news" from the rest of the world. There is every indication that is about to change.

The number of cases outside China is growing. Fast. Exponentially fast.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 20, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
This would all be very lovely, but that does not tell the full story...

1. Of the c95,000 cases to date, over 80,000 have been in China. China has imposed what could be viewed as incredibly draconian measures in the worst hit area to limit the spread of the virus.

2. China's measures have been incredibly effective at stemming the spread of the virus, meaning fewer and fewer new cases emerging there.

3. In parallel with this, the virus has started to spread elsewhere, most notably in South Korea, Iran and Northern Italy.

4. Because of the scale of the initial outbreak in China, the "good news" stats from China mask the "bad news" from the rest of the world. There is every indication that is about to change.

The number of cases outside China is growing. Fast. Exponentially fast.

Still doesn’t change the fact that the number of people recovering from the virus is greater than the number of people getting the virus. And that, for some reason, the media doesn’t seem to report the new people recovering from the virus but does go into a lot of detail telling us every time that 2 or 3 new people who get the virus.

And, yes, the vast majority of people with the virus are in China. Compared to that number, the number of people with the virus outside China are minuscule.

I mean, as an example, over 4000 people *die* from TB every single day. So in the last 3 days more people have died from TB than those outside China who have caught Covid-19 ever (and about 98% of those recover). Where are all the news reports about those deaths?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 09:26 PM.
Old 5 Mar 20, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Pinchy
Imagineer

I mean, as an example, over 4000 people *die* from TB every single day. So in the last 3 days more people have died from TB than those outside China who have caught Covid-19 ever (and about 98% of those recover). Where are all the news reports about those deaths?
Because it's not new. The vast majority of the world's poor have always had TB.
Pinchy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 20, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Pinchy View Post
Because it's not new. The vast majority of the world's poor have always had TB.
Yes, you are right. They are reporting on COVID-19 because it's new and different. Not because it's more prevalent or deadly than every other virus.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 6 Mar 20, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
sunshines
Apprentice Imagineer

Yes, you are right. They are reporting on COVID-19 because it's new and different. Not because it's more prevalent or deadly than every other virus.
Well, actually, its mortality rate IS currently figured to be more than 25X that of the flu.
Old 6 Mar 20, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Well, actually, its mortality rate IS currently figured to be more than 25X that of the flu.
I wasn’t talking about flu. There are hundreds of viruses out there. Some have higher mortality rates than COVID-19.

However, flu does have a higher mortality rate than COVID-19. Well, the H5N1 strain of flu anyway. It has a mortality rate of 60% which is *much* higher than COVID-19.
who.int/influenza/human_...earch/faqs/en/

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 07:49 PM.