Old 2 Mar 20, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

O Can-aska - Day 8 - Juneau

O Can-aska - Day 8

Index

Friday 6th September 2019 - Juneau

Another fairly early start this morning as we were in Cabanas for just after 7am. You’re probably getting bored of our Cabanas breakfast plates by now – this is the last time we ate breakfast here though, so I’ll have some different pictures for you tomorrow!

Another beautiful view for breakfast –

Our plan for this morning was to visit Mendenhall Glacier. Again, instead of booking a Disney excursion, we booked our own transport. This meant we wouldn’t be time limited and saved some pennies as well.

Disney put on a shuttle to take you the short journey from the cruise port to town. Once in town, we caught the first shuttle from outside the Mount Roberts Tramway. In fact, we were the only people on this shuttle! The bus driver gave us our own personal narration on the way to the glacier, including history on Alaska being sold to the US by Russia. The journey was about 20 minutes.

The bus dropped us off right by the visitor’s centre. We double checked in there that our bus journey had included our entrance fee, and it had. It was then time to explore!

Our first view of the glacier was stunning. It was still really quiet and peaceful at this point in the morning.

We then took the Nugget falls trail (not the chicken kind) to the waterfall.

We then watched the video in the visitor’s centre about the history of the Mendenhall Glacier, which was interesting, even if I think I had a brief 2 minute power nap during the film!

There were a variety of walking trails nearby. We declined the East Glacier trial due to time, but enjoyed the Trial of Time.

We noticed a lot of dead salmon in the water, as they die after they spawn.

No bears for us today –

Our final trail was the Steep Creek Trail.

Overall, we spent an enjoyable 3 hours here before getting the bus back at 11.30am. When we got on the bus, we were greeted with our same driver as earlier saying ‘England! Welcome back’. There were 4 of us on the bus on the way back – we didn’t know whether there would be long waits for the buses, but this clearly wasn’t an issue.

Our plan was similar to yesterday – have lunch on board and then re-disembark to explore the town in the afternoon.

As we enjoyed Triton’s so much yesterday, we were keen for a repeat visit.

Enjoying a window table –

To start, we shared the Shrimp wontons – with chilli, cilantro and cucumber served with a lemon grass soy dip and the Roasted salmon salad – on new potatoes, spinach, watercress, green onion and endive salad tossed in a lemon tarragon shallot dressing

Another great salad from DCL. Although not quite as amazing yesterday, I was impressed that two salads in a row were this tasty!

For mains, I had the Thyme red wine braised beef short ribs – with potato puree and roasted carrots

The beef fell apart and I really enjoyed the sauce.

Ollie went for the Rosemary roasted lamb leg – with fondant potato, broccoli and a red wine rosemary lamb jus

The picture was before the jus was added. It looks a bit empty on the plate but he enjoyed this. I’m not a lamb fan, so he never normally gets to eat it at home. He enjoyed the change!

For dessert, we shared the Warm apple fritters – served with caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream and Caramel pecan cheesecake – vanilla cheesecake filling with caramel crème and caramelised pecans

I much preferred the warm apple fritters out of the two.

Scruffette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 20, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

After our lunch, we re-disembarked and got the shuttle into the town. Again, the weather was beautiful. It had felt a bit chilly earlier in the morning and I was wrapped up warm (we were near a glacier after all), but this afternoon was warm and sunny.

We had contemplated the Mount Roberts Tramway before the trip, but decided against it on the day. We didn’t have too much of a plan and were just enjoying a mooch around, having a look in various gift shops along the way of course.

We popped our heads into the Red Dog Saloon –

Near this bear statue, we did manage to pick up some wifi and each spent a few minutes catching up and sending pictures to family and friends after having no internet since leaving Vancouver. I did stop us after 10 minutes of so – we were on holiday and had exploring to do! I do actually quite like that you are cut off from the real world on a cruise!

There’s always a totem pole –

In one of the sweet shops, we each picked up a sea otter paw – cashews, caramel and white chocolate. Delicious!

Ollie was still determined to find an Alaska tshirt. He must have looked at every tshirt in one shop, and I must admit I was getting a bit impatient as I wanted to get back on board for the Pixar Pals party! He did eventually chose an Alaska tshirt ($10.95).

We even made it back on time to go straight to the atrium and watch the Pixar show at 4.15pm (the all aboard time was 4.45pm anyway). It really was just Pixar characters having a bit of a dance. Some of the audience were dressed up, which made for some great interaction with the characters. But nice to see some more unusual characters out and about.

After the show, we went up on deck to watch us sail away from Juneau, and for some reason decided we needed a snack!

I went for some pizza and Ollie had a pulled pork sandwich. The bun was unnecessarily tall, so Ollie hollowed out almost a whole loaf of bread from inside the bun to make it more edible. Eventually he gave up and just ate the pork!

After enjoying the view up on deck for a bit, it was time to head back to the stateroom to get presentable for the evening.

Tonight’s show was the one I was most excited about – Frozen! We arrived at the theatre nice and early as I thought this was be the most popular show. Normally, as we’re just a party of two, we turn about 5 minutes before show time. There were still plenty of seats when we arrived tonight but it did fill up quickly.

I really enjoyed the show – I much prefer the full shows on the ships like Tangled and Frozen, compared to the shows with a mix of songs (Dreams, Golden Mickey’s etc, although I still really like those too!) I thought the puppets used for Anna and Elsa at the start of the show worked really well and Sven was as cute as ever!

After the show, we had another browse in the shop, in particular at the Spirit Jerseys. I really fancied one, but the price tag put me off. After trying on a few, I decided that the white jersey with navy stripes was my favourite and suitably nautical. It was also one of the few that had an XS – I think as they are so oversized lots of people size down, meaning some of the designs only had the bigger sizes left. Eventually, Ollie suggested he could get it for me for Christmas, and I didn’t object too strongly! The spirit jersey was $64.99, but at least there is no tax to pay on the ships.

After our purchase, Ollie somehow convinced me to meet Remy. I really hate rats (even cute ones like Remy), but it’s not a character that’s out too often. Still not sure how I feel about having a photo with a giant rat…

Dinner tonight was in Triton’s for the Captain’s Gala Menu (with regional inspirations).

To start, I had the Aged Prosciutto – served with sundried tomatoes, parmesan cheese and roasted garlic

This was nice, but was like eating a piece of ham by itself without any accompaniment really.

Ollie had the Braised Oxtail Soup – With Spinach and Roasted Garlic Tortellini

I think he chose this based on the garlic tortellini, although there was only one piece.

I then went for the Huntsman appetiser – duck terrine, rosemary ham, goat cheese and honey with celery, sweet pickle and berries

Obviously I left the celery! A nice selection, particularly the goat’s cheese.

Ollie went for the Smoked duck breast salad – frisée, lollo rosso, radicchio leaves with walnuts and shredded apples topped with smoked duck breast and a creamy lemon dressing

This was chosen off the lighter meals section of the menu – if that was my main course for dinner, I think I’d leave hungry!

For mains, I chose the Fettuccine with Parmesan Crusted Chicken – Chicken encrusted in Parmesan Cheese, with Sweet Peppers and Mushrooms in a Cheddar Cheese Sauce

I really enjoyed this course, the sauce on the pasta was lovely. With my love for chicken tenders, it’s no surprise I liked the parmesan crusted chicken.

As it was Lobster night, Ollie had to go for the Oven-Baked Lobster Tail – With Sun-dried Tomato, Lemon Pesto Mash and Roasted Asparagus

One of our table mates wanted the crab legs from the appetiser menu for her main. Our servers super sized this and she had a full large plate overflowing with crabs legs. She did a good job getting through them!

For dessert, I went for the Warm Chocolate Lava Cake – Served warm with Double Chocolate Sauce and Vanilla Ice Cream

I can never resist a warm chocolate dessert. The sundae tonight was mint choc chip, and one of our table mates ordered a scoop of this on the side. Mint choc chip is one of my favourites, so I ordered a scoop on the side as well!

Ollie went for the Raspberry vanilla Crème Brûlée – With lemon madeleines.

I assume he polished this off!

After dinner, we headed to Azure for tonight’s adult show, The Magic & Comedy of Billy Kidd.

We did catch the end of Wonder Quest first, because lots of grown men in women’s bras is an image I need in my life

The magic show didn’t really do it for me. There was one trick where she ‘swallowed’ a needle – I know it was pretend but it made me feel a bit squeamish. There was also a trick where she escaped from a straight jacket, and I’m pretty sure I heard a lot of arm cracking.

Tonight’s towel animal was this creature –

Day 9 - Ketchikan

Edited at 08:46 PM.
Scruffette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 20, 12:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkermom
Apprentice Imagineer

Just fabulous!, I’m so enjoying your trip report! Thank you 😊
Old 4 Mar 20, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I agree about wifi! Stunning views!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 20, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
looking forward to reading more
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 20, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by disney owl View Post
looking forward to reading more
Thanks - should have another day up shortly
Old 21 Apr 20, 12:49 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Another day full of stunning photos and not just the food

That glacier looks breathtaking and to view it on dry land probably helped make it appear so much closer too.

What a fantastic day -thanks for sharing it.

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 20, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by walt4it View Post
Another day full of stunning photos and not just the food

That glacier looks breathtaking and to view it on dry land probably helped make it appear so much closer too.

What a fantastic day -thanks for sharing it.
I do love a food photo!

It appear very close and was amazing to see. Such amazing sights in Alaska