UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 7 Sep 20, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
MichelleS
Imagineer

Beamish and York recommendations

We are off to Beamish and York next week
We are staying at the Beamish hotel and the Novotel in York
Are there any recommendations for restaurants and things to do or experiences of the hotels we have chosen
Many thanks

1996 Music - 2004 Sports - 2006 Movies & POR - 2007 Loews Miami Beach & Buena Vista Palace
2008 Fairfield Inn / St Augustine / POR - 2011 Springhill Suites LBV
Aug 2022 Disney All Stars (with Grandchildren)
MichelleS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 20, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by MichelleS View Post
We are off to Beamish and York next week
We are staying at the Beamish hotel and the Novotel in York
Are there any recommendations for restaurants and things to do or experiences of the hotels we have chosen
Many thanks
We were in York a couple of weeks ago.

The Railway Museum was excellent, albeit some of it was closed.

We also went to Bolton Abbey, which was around 30 miles away and really beautiful, especially an activity walk on the other side of the river from the Abbey!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 20, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
wdw-wanderer
Apprentice Imagineer

I don’t think the trams are running at Beamish at the moment so pack some comfy shoes as it’s an extensive site. The town and the pit village are excellent but I’m not sure how much is open at present. It’s worth stopping in Durham to see the cathedral on your way south to York where you’ve got the Minster (if the undercroft & crypt are open they’re well worth a visit), Castle Museum, Railway Museum, browse the Medieval streets (The Shambles), Jorvik (book in advance) & one of the evening Ghost Tours.
wdw-wanderer is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 20, 02:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Triciamcl
VIP Dibber

Triciamcl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
We were in York last Christmas and if you like art I can highly recommend the Van Gogh Immersive Experience, whilst I love art hubby is not so keen but he was impressed and really enjoyed it as it’s a wee bit different ...vangoghexpo/york/

2010 DOUBLETREE RESORT
2011 DOUBLETREE RESORT
2012 DOUBLETREE RESORT
2015 POFQ, RPR and DOUBLETREE RESORT
2017 POFQ

2022 POFQ & Cabana Bay
Triciamcl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 20, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
MichelleS
Imagineer

Thank you for the replies
Beamish is a place I’ve wanted to visit for a long time so really looking forward to it .
I think I might look into ghost tours for something for a bit different.

1996 Music - 2004 Sports - 2006 Movies & POR - 2007 Loews Miami Beach & Buena Vista Palace
MichelleS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 20, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
dogken
Imagineer

We went to Beamish yesterday and although a lot of it was closed we still had a good day out, the trams aren't running but they have the old open top bus running and we got to ride that.
In the village half of the shops are closed and the ones that are open are running a one way system, and there was no staff inside showing how living was back in the day.
The fish n' chip shop is open so that's a plus, also your ticket is valid for one year so you can always return.👍
Old 8 Sep 20, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Triciamcl View Post
We were in York last Christmas and if you like art I can highly recommend the Van Gogh Immersive Experience, whilst I love art hubby is not so keen but he was impressed and really enjoyed it as it’s a wee bit different ...vangoghexpo/york/
I've just seen this thread as I love York. Going to jump in and say I like the sound of this. I've seen the original Starry Night painting at MOMA in New York, and my IPad cover is that design too 😁 I'm not sure my hubby would be as keen on the exhibition, how long do you need to allow for it. Maybe I might just go while he does something else if it's only an hour or so.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 20, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

To the original poster if you need any pub recommendations, our favourites out of the many in York, are House of Trembling Madness on Stonegate (you have to go through the shop and up the winding stairs) it's really quirky as you can probably tell from the name 😁 There is also a bigger pub of the same name on Lendl, it's different again but still a favourite of ours. Opposite on Lendl is the Judges Lodging, and lastly we like another small pub called Pivni.
The first three all serve excellent food.
93 94 03 2023 DLP

Edited at 09:16 AM.
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 20, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
barryp1
Imagineer

OP do you know that Beamish must be pre booked at the moment?
barryp1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 20, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
MichelleS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JudyC View Post
To the original poster if you need any pub recommendations, our favourites out of the many in York, are House of Trembling Madness on Stonegate (you have to go through the shop and up the winding stairs) it's really quirky as you can probably tell from the name 😁 There is also a bigger pub of the same name on Lendl, it's different again but still a favourite of ours. Opposite on Lendl is the Judges Lodging, and lastly we like another small pub called Pivni.
The first three all serve excellent food.
Thank you