Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 13 Oct 20, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Unorthodox

couldnt find a thread on this ?

watched over the weekend all 4 episodes

bit of an eye opener how in the this modern world some communities still live by some pretty medieval* standards...

fwiw we have locally a large community of Haredi Jews who seem to live a similar lifestyle, pretty much keeping themselves to themselves... but makes you wonder

* no offence intended but to me this seems at best unreasonable way to treat girls ...
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 20, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I watched it and couldn’t believe it, it was a bit like a cult. Why do the woman do that to their hair, it’s like living in the dark ages.
Old 13 Oct 20, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I have Jewish family members , there’s a big difference between Orthodox and Ultra Orthodox who I find detached from the modern world. No different in many ways to the Amish though I suppose.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 20, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
couldnt find a thread on this ?

watched over the weekend all 4 episodes

bit of an eye opener how in the this modern world some communities still live by some pretty medieval* standards...

fwiw we have locally a large community of Haredi Jews who seem to live a similar lifestyle, pretty much keeping themselves to themselves... but makes you wonder

* no offence intended but to me this seems at best unreasonable way to treat girls ...
I watched this about a month ago after it being recommended by a friend! What an eye opener! I never realised there were communities like this in such cities as New York!
Floridadreams is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 20, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

I binged watched the whole series in one weekend, Both lead actors were fantastic and as neither spoke Yiddish prior to the start of filming I thought it was a testament opener of their dedication.

The Hasidic community is also very well represented in the UK

As someone who has an interest in all types of religion, there is good, bad and surprising in all.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 20, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I have Jewish family members , there’s a big difference between Orthodox and Ultra Orthodox who I find detached from the modern world. No different in many ways to the Amish though I suppose.
indeed my mates mothers family are jewish but seem to be more friday night dinner

there are extremes of all religions i guess , still shocking to see it on 'our' world..
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 20, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by snowbelle View Post
I binged watched the whole series in one weekend, Both lead actors were fantastic and as neither spoke Yiddish prior to the start of filming I thought it was a testament opener of their dedication.

The Hasidic community is also very well represented in the UK

As someone who has an interest in all types of religion, there is good, bad and surprising in all.
yeah also read the girl who played ester took piano & singing lessons to fit into the role

she was fantastic but looked tiny like a small child...
Old 13 Oct 20, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
top4
Imagineer

I also binge watched this ...loved it ,but was also shocked how their faith is so restrictive ... was fascinated though .
top4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 20, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

I must watch this. I’m fascinated by differences & similarities across different religions.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 20, 07:27 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

I watched this a while ago too and was fascinated by it. As ignorant as it sounds I never realised that the women shaved their head and wore a wig. It was a real eye opener into a different religion and very well made.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List