Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Oct 20, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile Anybody used a packing service when moving?

Just wondering what the additional cost was and if you thought it was worth it.

I’m dreading the thought of packing when we come to move, even more so given that we possibly wouldn’t be able to get family to help due to lockdown regulations.

A packing service sounds very tempting but I don’t know anybody thats actually done this to find out if it was worth while.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

We just used removal people and we did the packing.

But we have friends used the same firm we used but had them do the whole packing thing as well. Obviously this costs a fair bit more, but it suited them well. I think one of the big things is if there is damage, they will be insured. Doing it yourself, and you break something when packing or if they move something that you didnt pack properly, you are on your own.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

We have twice when DH company moved us never again yes it was well packed but nothing was labelled or even colour coded and it was 2 different firms took ages to unpack and it had to be done at least 2 days before we moved both times a right pain in the tonsils for me as they didn't do one room at a time so I could give the room a last good clean and shut the door

Edited at 08:46 PM.
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Shutterbug
Excited about Disney

We did as we were moving from a tiny two bed terrace and still moving right up to the move so we knew we wouldn't have time or the space to pack over the space of a few weeks. We had one uncomfortable night with boxes piled high around the house but it was easier than trying to do it ourselves. Still didn't have time to effectively ensure the house was clean and it was chaos on the day we moved (partly due to key delay)

All the boxes went into the right rooms and we managed to get it all unpacked between two of us within a couple of days. The night we moved in my mum helped me unpack the kitchen boxes. Although I think i just shoved some stuff in cupboards and two years on probably need to re- sort them.

So it wasn't cheap but worth it for us at the time.
Shutterbug is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
BabyM
Very Serious Dibber

We have, we had no choice in the end as we ended up only being given 4 days notice to move and we had tickets to the Olympics the day before the move so my Dad booked for them to pack. My Auntie came over and kept the kettle and some cups back, they had packed up at 3 bed house including loft in 6 hours. On move day they loaded the van and my Dad took last bits to the tip, the removal men wouldn't take camping gas as it would invalidate the insurance so that went in my car. At the other end they unpacked the van and left the boxes in the correct rooms and went on their way.
Didn't use one when I bought my first house but I would use one again in the future when myself and fiancee move house.
Old 25 Oct 20, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Yes we did when we last moved, my dh was working away and I was at home with a 3 and 5 year old, we exchanged contracts suddenly on my ds 6th birthday and moved out less than a week later. We couldn’t have done it without the packers which was a team of about 3 plus the removal men. They packed the house up in a day I think, they don’t question whether you need anything like you would yourself so if you leave, for example, a biscuit on the side it will get wrapped and packed, but that makes them really fast. We marked up the boxes for which room they should go in the other end for ease of unpacking, we did all of that in our own time.
It was really worth it for us, however we were relocating for my dh new job and we got a relocation allowance so we didn’t pay for it luckily.
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

So the ideal would be that they pack the day before the move?

I definitely want to clean all the rooms once empty on moving day, I’d be mortified if the new owners felt we’d left it uncleaned.

I also want to thoroughly clean the new house before any unpacking so don’t want them to do that.

I read that they won’t pack lofts and that you’d need to bring everything down beforehand so that they pack it. No idea where we’d put it all though, the main reason we’re moving is lack of space so as you can imagine the loft is rather full!
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

Ours started packing non essentials the day before and finished off on the move day. I think it was less than £500 - it was 5 years ago - but I do remember thinking I was a bargain ! Ours was a 4 bed house and they literally packed everything, dismantled furniture and put it back up in the new house
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Island mamma
slightly serious Dibber

We did when we moved to the island because it was included in relocation expenses. It was excellent and the movers worked so hard. I did pack personal items myself though cos no way were two strange men packing up my underwear drawer 🤣
Island mamma is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
One thing to think about is some removal companies only cover you for damage of breakables if they pack them. As I have way move glassware and crockery than a single person should I have had these elements packed on my last two moves and the experience has been a positive one.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List