Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Oct 20, 11:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Mommacrab
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by Orlando 2004 View Post
Is this just in case a student changes their mind about where they want to go? As 2 local colleges have just merged there is only 1 other college in a different town that offers childcare and DD isn't keen on going there. I did say maybe she should apply anyway but I don't think I can persuade her as she is adamant she wants to go to the one she has applied to.
Yes in case the student changes their mind on their choice once GCSE results have been received.
Old 29 Oct 20, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by Mommacrab View Post
Yes in case the student changes their mind on their choice once GCSE results have been received.
Thanks. Will see what she thinks. Do most people apply for the same courses at both colleges? She could apply for a Tlevel in childcare at the other college. I think she's pretty set on doing a vocational course but do people totally change what they want to do once results are out and are there still normally places on Alevel courses?
Old 30 Oct 20, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
School teacher
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Mommacrab View Post
I work for a sixth form college and would always advise applying to more than one college (if you have them in your area). Early applications are an indication of potential student numbers for the college and course popularity. We often have students apply after GCSE results have been received and even after the enrolment days have finished, some have been known to apply once term has started.
Thank you for this, I naively thought you could only apply to one.
School teacher is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Mommacrab
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

I can only advise on my own experience. I work at a sixth form college in a large city, in a socially deprived area. Locally there is a choice of sixth form colleges, sixth forms attached to schools and a college for 16+ and adult education.

We find that the majority of students who enrol will stay with their initial course choice. Roughly 30%+ will change their course subjects before the actual enrolment date and even after term starts. We do allow a course change after the initial two weeks of teaching but only for a valid reason and only for a short period of time.

Once GCSE grades are known, students will be advised if they have achieved the grades for the course they want to enrol on.

Any other questions, please ask, always happy to help where I can.
Old 30 Oct 20, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

My dd is year 12 now. This time last year we did all the open days. She was adamant she didn't want to stay at her school 6th form.
She applied to 2 local 6th form colleges and her own school (under duress!)
All offered very similar courses but one had better extra curricular opportunities.
Anyway on her last day in school she decided she wanted to stay at school! She stuck with it and is loving it with no regrets!
I suppose my point is, try and get them to keep their options open so they can decide as late as possible!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
TinksandFlynn
Excited about Disney

My dd is in year 11 and is hoping to go to the schools sixth form so that’s not an issue. The problem she is having is narrowing down her choice of ALevels as she likes quite a range of subjects. She currently has a top 5 list but has no idea how to choose between them.
TinksandFlynn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Ds is year 11 and staying on for 6th form do we need to do anything yet?
He has his mocks next month
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 20, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
skb 123
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by TinksandFlynn View Post
My dd is in year 11 and is hoping to go to the schools sixth form so that’s not an issue. The problem she is having is narrowing down her choice of ALevels as she likes quite a range of subjects. She currently has a top 5 list but has no idea how to choose between them.
You might find that her choices are not as wide as you think. The school will more than likely divide subjects into blocks for time tabling purposes, and that she will only be able to choose one subject per block. This happened to my DD and all 4 (3 + 1 reserve) subjects she wanted were in the same block! She did eventually settle on a good choice of subjects that "fitted" the blocks, but not necessarily what she might have chosen initially.
skb 123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 20, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Apricota View Post
One of the colleges near us closes their applications in 7 days. It only open for two weeks. So have applied thief and also will do for another. It’s a bit of challenge as cannot go anywhere to see them in reality
I knew you could study criminology, but not the opposite 😂

Seriously though this did give me a moment of panic. Need to check our closure dates quickly.

As others have said - trying to guide not direct,. But some motivational nagging might also be required. Ho hum.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 20, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Apricota
slightly serious Dibber

Sorry to panic others, and I was unaware before that they closed and only two week window. Yes criminology is on the list for one of mine😂
Apricota is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List