Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Nov 19, 12:23 AM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

Mothercare... Next one to go from the high street?

news.sky/story/ailing-mot...iness-11853680

Mothercare is making plans that could see its UK business go into administration, it has been reported.

Edited at 12:25 AM.
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 12:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkermom
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by RickT View Post
news.sky/story/ailing-mot...iness-11853680

Mothercare is making plans that could see its UK business go into administration, it has been reported.
This is terribly sad but not surprising as they’ve been struggling for years and it’s actually more of a surprise that they’ve kept going for so long. The impact of retailers like Asda and Tesco selling baby goods and the competitive likes of amazon have really impacted their core business. And of course the impact of the uncertainty surrounding Brexit

Unfortunately there’s plenty more business that will follow in the next few months, heartbreaking for those that will loose their jobs
Old 4 Nov 19, 12:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

This makes me really sad. It feels like a right of passage to becoming a parent to have trips to Mothercare to pick out those baby essentials. It was one of my most favourite times when pregnant
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 03:11 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Doesn’t surprise me..

They just aren’t competitively priced , I bought
My granddaughter a bugaboo fox pram , mothercare couldn’t come close to the package that local independent store gave me .

And the internet is just so much cheaper , I wanted a Bugaboo Bee pushchair last month , mothercare wanted Ł639 , Bournemouth pram Center online Ł80 cheaper ..

I went to buy a travel cot , they didn’t have any in stock which is a common issue when wanting to buy stuff in their stores
daytonababe is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 03:28 AM  
Link to this Post
allycat228
Apprentice Imagineer

I honestly didn’t think they were still around, they left my local city about 12 years ago
allycat228 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 03:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I have to say we've found them the most knowledgeable when it's come to car seats and the fitting of
We bought 4 car seat a couple of months ago yes 2 For my car and 2for DH pick up ( we both do the nursery drop,off pick up etc)
And having been that parent whodroped of the kids in the morning but
DH was onpick up and no car seats
So grandma and Grampa both have car seats we found mother care
So much better than the local pram centre Halfords etc
Maybe I'm still,of that generation I like to see before I buy with important purchases like car seats etc

Edited at 03:34 AM.
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 06:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by allycat228 View Post
I honestly didn’t think they were still around, they left my local city about 12 years ago
Same here, I thought they had already gone? Even years ago when my daughter was young they were never competitive in price.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Gosh, they have just opened a huge new flashy store in our out of town shopping centre.
Old 4 Nov 19, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
Gosh, they have just opened a huge new flashy store in our out of town shopping centre.
Really? Ours has gone. Years ago the shop was in our ten centre then they opened a “superstore” on like a shopping estate with other shops (near Asda) but then recently I’ve noticed that it is closed but there is a sign saying we are closed but still open (whatever that means 😂&#128514. Tbh I did wonder where you would go for baby stuff now COD I can’t think of any shops in town except like in Debenhams or boots or M & S and really none of them are stores I would’ve shopped at for baby clothes when mine were babies.
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I haven’t seen a Mothercare store in a while. Ours had already closed some time ago. The stores were just too big and the goods too expensive. I’m not surprised at all.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List