Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 18 Feb 20, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I find it fascinating that the criticism levelled at social media on this thread and the press appears to have a disconnect with the fact that people on this very thread are talking about this woman and her mental health state as if they knew her whilst berating media etc for doing the same thing. Surely the way to stop the media from printing the crap about these people is to actually not read or comment and let her be at rest, are you not part of the problem¨?

I have no idea who she is apart from she was famous I have no opinion about her death apart from it is sad when anyone dies...personally I do not need to know the whys and wherefores of her life
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Maybe people are starting to wake up to the vile hate spilt by the gutter press, hopefully we will see changes but I doubt it, they'll all be back to their lies and nasty gossip again soon, I guess these people are not aware of how much they are being manipulated or don't care. Surely no-one can forget the phone hacking and poor Minnie Dowler's parents ...
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
I find it fascinating that the criticism levelled at social media on this thread and the press appears to have a disconnect with the fact that people on this very thread are talking about this woman and her mental health state as if they knew her whilst berating media etc for doing the same thing. Surely the way to stop the media from printing the crap about these people is to actually not read or comment and let her be at rest, are you not part of the problem¨?

I have no idea who she is apart from she was famous I have no opinion about her death apart from it is sad when anyone dies...personally I do not need to know the whys and wherefores of her life
This 100%

I'm reading (althought not sure why) and not posting as nothing to say.

I don't know her or her family.

I have no idea what caused her to feel this was the only answer to stop her pain. I'm sorry that she is a now statistic with the many others to have died by suicide this year already.

Celebrity or not should not matter. It's sad when this is the answer for too many.

Take care to all those Dibbers who have or are struggling 💙
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Nannad
Apprentice Imagineer

Agree with the ‘ be kind message’ but I know some people I worked with will cry crocodile tears and talk the talk, but they will never change, will still be the bully they are underneath.
Nannad is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by TractorBoy View Post
Sad as the death of Caroline Flack is 'celebrities' like her have used and will continue to use the press for their own ends. To further their careers.

Just like things like twitter, facebook and Instagram. It seems they want those tools to see how many people they can get to like them etc. and to enhance their careers.

If they don't like the attention then surely the answer is to remove themselves from them.

I agree there are some awful awful people out there whose only aim is to be as nasty as possible to anyone who will read their posts.

Sorry but if these 'celebrities' don't like or want the attention then don't do or say things that will encourage the red tops to print front page stories.

Why don't they just use their talent to get on rather than the press or social media!
This attitude is exactly how people justify the nastiness as if it's acceptable because the 'victim' of the abuse has gained fame by that very same media.

Let's get it straight abuse and trolling is unacceptable whether that's to a famous person with a million followers or some bloke with half dozen and in no way should anyone try to defend abusers with that excuse
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Miranda Hart has tweeted quite a bit about this. IMO, it's worth a quick read.

There's likely more to it and she's not saying she has all the answers, but it's still though-provoking. For example: -

"...If people are judgemental to others there is almost no doubt it's because they don't realise they are fiercely judgemental of themselves."

"...If we aren't operating from love and for love in our different ways, what are we doing? What's the point?"

She also tweeted, "Don't bully the bullies..."

(Which, of course, is not the same as being assertive.)

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside

Edited at 12:14 AM. Reason: Clarity
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cybermum View Post
Wouldn't it be fantastic if this short term ( this is what it is ) outpouring of 'being kind ' posts etc etc ACTUALLY became the NORM.

Talk is cheap. Action and actually standing behind what one spouts out in a moment of heightened awareness long after the news forgets.
Iagree with this. I'm not interested in people posting statuses on their social media, I'm interested in how they behave in real life.
Old 19 Feb 20, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Rebelrebel View Post
Maybe people are starting to wake up to the vile hate spilt by the gutter press, hopefully we will see changes but I doubt it, they'll all be back to their lies and nasty gossip again soon, I guess these people are not aware of how much they are being manipulated or don't care. Surely no-one can forget the phone hacking and poor Minnie Dowler's parents ...
I am finding the media criticism a little tedious now, media is a good thing to have too. Perhaps I have unconsciously done as Tinkerbell has just suggested and don’t waste too much time poring over celebrity gossip, but I can truthfully say I have seen next to nothing in the media about Caroline Flack prior to her recent death. I honestly wouldn’t have known who she even was. Obviously I am more aware now but as far as I can tell her distress was caused by a pending court case, possible imprisonment not because of unkind media coverage.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I am finding the media criticism a little tedious now, media is a good thing to have too. Perhaps I have unconsciously done as Tinkerbell has just suggested and don’t waste too much time poring over celebrity gossip, but I can truthfully say I have seen next to nothing in the media about Caroline Flack prior to her recent death. I honestly wouldn’t have known who she even was. Obviously I am more aware now but as far as I can tell her distress was caused by a pending court case, possible imprisonment not because of unkind media coverage.
I kind of agree with this. At what point do you muzzle the Press? The last thing we want is to go back to a time where news is censored and this could be the thin edge of the wedge.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I kind of agree with this. At what point do you muzzle the Press? The last thing we want is to go back to a time where news is censored and this could be the thin edge of the wedge.
Not saying muzzle the press, my comments are directed at those 'newspapers' who clearly are not delivering news but gossip and hounding people, making their lives a misery. I've got the news on now and information about these poor people who are affected by the flooding is important news, I want to hear about this not about celebrities private lives.
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread