Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Oct 19, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
Imagineer

mike4scuba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile Day of return to airport

Flying from gatwick for the first time as we usually fly from manchester
On day of travel we are driving down the night before and staying in the hotel over night
Now the day we come back we will have had a long flight and never sure if I can get to sleep.
It's a long drive back so what do most people who do this do
Was thinking of driving north of the m25 on the sunday morning we land and finding the first services to park up and have a nap in the car

Edited at 01:53 PM.
mike4scuba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Why not book a day room for a few hours , decent breakfast(something you don't get on the plane flying east) , snooze in a proper bed and hit the road refreshed.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

If you can pick up a Premier Inn at a good price,book 2 nights for your return, obviously you won't be using the first night but you can then check in as soon as you land and go and chill for the day/night then drive home the next day, we're doing this when we arrive back in Manchester in January.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
cismwynn
Very Serious Dibber

We flew from Gatwick a number of years ago and then had a 200+ mile trip home after we landed. The drive was really awful and I vowed to never do it again. If I had that sort of distance to cover again after a return flight I would 100% book a hotel - even if I had to pay for two nights.
POFQ - Dec 2006, Mar 2008, Oct 2009, Oct 2014, / OKW - Aug 2012 / Beach Club - Oct 2015, Jul 2017 / Dibb Villa - Mar 2009, Aug 2009, Dec 2009, Dec 2010, Oct 2011, Jul 2013, Jul 2014, Dec 2014, Jul 2015, Aug 2017
cismwynn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Mobile

Watch for parking charges if you snooze too long - a friend got a ticket for napping! We have a 5 hour drive back this time, flight arrives at midday, so we're booking a Premier Inn about 2 hours away. Either we stop for a nap, or the night, or we just drive straight past and take the £29 hit.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

We book a day room , We have stayed in the BLOC at Gatwick, The Hilton and last Month splashed out for the Sofitel .

Thank goodness we did as we had a terrible flight home and neither of us slept ( cabin was far too hot, lots of people up and about all night so it was noisy and could'nt get comfortable in the seat)

It was fantastic to get to the Sofitel have some breakfast, have a shower and fall into bed the room was so nice and quiet and had blackout drapes we slept solidly for 5 hours then another quick wake up shower and on the road.

It took a fair while to get home as we hit traffic and heavy rain for most of the journey but we felt a lot better driving more alert.

Quite a few service stations only allow a max of two hours stay now so I know I would be constantly waking up if we slept in the car.

We use Dayuse.com

Edited at 01:30 PM.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Originally Posted by archibald View Post
Watch for parking charges if you snooze too long - a friend got a ticket for napping! We have a 5 hour drive back this time, flight arrives at midday, so we're booking a Premier Inn about 2 hours away. Either we stop for a nap, or the night, or we just drive straight past and take the £29 hit.
DH friend got stung for £150 for falling asleep in Mcdonalds' car park near Gatwick ,that was an expensive Big Mac
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
15isto2
Imagineer

The BLOC dayrooms are superb especially if you get one with no windows so its brilliantly easy to sleep
15isto2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
Imagineer

mike4scuba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
what are these BLOC dayrooms. never heard of them.

is it this

daybreakhotels/GB/en...Direct+Traffic

Edited at 02:03 PM.
mike4scuba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Budmiester
Excited about Disney

As few others have done in the past I flew a good few years ago into Manchester and then drove home to Scotland,never again I was absolutely exhausted and I’m certain I fell asleep at the wheel on more than one occasion despite me having plenty of rest stops. Now I either fly back to Glasgow or I book a hotel room and drive back later.
Budmiester is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List