Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 Nov 19, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

Electrician or Boiler repair man for replacement timer?

We have a timer on our wall in the kitchen to set the boiler / hot water to come on / off at certain times. We have the hot water set and it works fine and comes on and off but we can't set the boiler one times anymore as every time I try and set new time I manage to change it by for example half an hour then it flicks back to the original time, if I am super quick I can do it in about 15 min slots and press set before it flicks back and then keep doing that till I get to the required times, it takes ages though. The other thing is last year our boiler kept tripping out and we had to keep resetting it, the boiler man had been previously and replaced a load of parts (as it tripped out once and didn't reset) and he had said he couldn't see anything in the boiler that was causing it to trip but that now it had a new Electronic Unit and new fan it should be fine - however when I put it back on timer I noticed it tripping out again quite regularly, we have turned it permanently ON but then control it by the thermostat and been doing this for ages now and it never trips so I am guessing the Box to control the time is faulty and causing some issues.

Who would replace that, is it an electrician or would it need to be a boiler repair man and can I buy any replacement generic timer unit to replace it or are they boiler specific (which might be more of a problem / expense!)
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

You should go for a boiler repair man (or woman) as they will have parts with them for the timer and be able to provide more advice.
Some boilers require certain timers, others can use generic ones.

Last thing you want is an electrician who doesnt know boilers well to make a mistake and damage the boiler as he wont be able to fix that and will cost you more.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I agree with Sprocket, the best person is a bolier trades person.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
You should go for a boiler repair man (or woman) as they will have parts with them for the timer and be able to provide more advice.
Some boilers require certain timers, others can use generic ones.

Last thing you want is an electrician who doesnt know boilers well to make a mistake and damage the boiler as he wont be able to fix that and will cost you more.
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I agree with Sprocket, the best person is a bolier trades person.
Brilliant thank you I will get on to the boiler guy who game last time as he was a good chap!
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

Mobile

Agree.. Plumber/ boiler chap if it's just to replace the control panel
Las Vegas 18 - Florida 18 -Holland 18 -Bratislava 18 -Florida 17 -Holland 17 -Rhodes 17 - Kos 17 - France 16-Belgium 16-Holland 16-Germany 16-Sopot Poland 15-Kos 15-DLP SQL 15-Hampton Lakes 14-Hamburg 14- Berlin 13-WestRidge Villas 12-Krakow 12-France 11-Turkey 11-Germany 10-Marbella 10-Jamaica 09-Dublin 09-Dublin 08-Paris 08-Zante Villa 08-Egypt 2008-Rhodes 2008-Sweden 08-Norway 08-Rhodes 07- Huatulco Mexico 07-DLP Magic Circus 2007-Dublin 2007-Sweden 07-Greece 06/05/04-Barcelona 04-Rhodes 02
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

Now this is a 'mar-mite' idea. Some hate this, others love it.

If you are changing your timer, pay the extra and get an embedded app one. This means you can remotely control it from your phone. Imagine coming back from your long hot holiday back to the cold UK to a house that the heating has been off for 2 weeks or to a house that you have remotely switched the heating on earlier that day.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Just go into a plumbing store with the details of what the device is. Chances are there is a compatible model which uses the same back plate as they use standard ones for different manufacturers.

No rewiring then required and you can swap it yourself.

Alternatively get something like a Hive for smart controls and you can buy them with or without fitting from Amazon for example.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
Now this is a 'mar-mite' idea. Some hate this, others love it.

If you are changing your timer, pay the extra and get an embedded app one. This means you can remotely control it from your phone. Imagine coming back from your long hot holiday back to the cold UK to a house that the heating has been off for 2 weeks or to a house that you have remotely switched the heating on earlier that day.
Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Just go into a plumbing store with the details of what the device is. Chances are there is a compatible model which uses the same back plate as they use standard ones for different manufacturers.

No rewiring then required and you can swap it yourself.

Alternatively get something like a Hive for smart controls and you can buy them with or without fitting from Amazon for example.
Thanks guys I will investigate all options!

Question re the Hive... currently we have this timer unit in the kitchen on the wall under the cupboard that the boiler is in - the controls the time for both the hot water and the boiler, it can be turned on, set on with times or each side an an hour boost button. Then in the Hall we have a thermostat that just controls the temperature of the central heating (which is what we use to currently control the CH). Will a Hive replace both of these, does it do both functions or would I still need one or the other of them?
Old 6 Nov 19, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

You get the hive hub thermostat and controller units as a pack and effectively replace the lot.

The thermostat can be placed where you like as it is wireless and is also a controller to do things like boost the heating as well as just temperature control. The controller unit replaces your existing timer but has no settings on it as such, then are done in the app.

The hub is. What they talk to and you connect to you broadband router.

Edited at 07:15 PM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 05:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Thanks guys I will investigate all options!

Question re the Hive... currently we have this timer unit in the kitchen on the wall under the cupboard that the boiler is in - the controls the time for both the hot water and the boiler, it can be turned on, set on with times or each side an an hour boost button. Then in the Hall we have a thermostat that just controls the temperature of the central heating (which is what we use to currently control the CH). Will a Hive replace both of these, does it do both functions or would I still need one or the other of them?
I had my boiler replaced & Hive fitted in March
It sounds like I had a similar set up to you.
I now have a Hive white box under where the boiler is, I have another Hive thermostat display with a knob I can turn up & down etc where my old hall thermostat was
I also have a Hive I.T. Box plugged in to my modem
Sorry I can't remember the names of the items
Talland 2016 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List