Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 15 Feb 20, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
thebig40
slightly serious Dibber

Anyone been to Israel?

Hello,

Still pondering where to go for our summer holiday this year. Saw reasonable flights to Israel.

We’ll be travelling as a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 children aged 13 and 12.

I like the idea of flying into Tel Aviv then travelling down to Bethlehem, The Dead Sea, Petra (Jordan) and then staying in Eilat. We’d like to do some diving in the Red Sea...

Anyone been and done something similar? We couldn't take too long travelling down to Eilat as the kids are not great ones for sightseeing or museums.

How would you travel between places? What is the food like? Is it expensive when you are there?

Any tips or thoughts would be appreciated. I’m annoying myself with my indecisiveness!
thebig40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 20, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Tel Aviv is a beautiful place, feels very safe - obviously security is incredibly high. Great food and climate, especially along the waterfront. I don't recommend El Al as an airline however if those are the cheap flights. Price-wise Tel Aviv is certainly not a cheap place to go but I imagine things are less expensive outside the capital.

Food is excellent, especially the falafel and found some very good seafood. One thing to add you'd need to check which borders are easy to cross.
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it

Edited at 11:33 PM.
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 20, 05:51 AM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Imagineer

Mobile

Been to Jerusalem and Bethlehem on a whistle stop 2 day cruise from Cyprus .
Incredibly interesting area ,this was before they built the wall though .I would love to spend more time there as the beaches look fab too .
inky1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 20, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Probably not much use because it is so long ago now ( 23 years !) but we absolutely loved our holiday to Israel. We stayed in Eilat for the 2 weeks and booked a 2 night coach tour with hotel to the Holy Land sites- Dead sea, Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Mount of Olives, Masada. We booked in resort but now you would be able to book online. My husband went diving, I snorkeled and we did a dolphin swim.
I can remember it was very expensive to eat even then.
It is one of those holidays that sticks in my mind as one of our favourite.

Edited at 03:31 PM.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 20, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Jet
Imagineer

We went to Israel years ago and what little we managed to see was really good.
We flew to Eilat and spent a few days there.
Then done the tour to Mesada..Dead Sea..Jerusalem and Bethlehem.
The night we arrived in Jerusalem ...Saddam Hussein bombed Israel...it was a little scary as we were in a night club with lots of Israeli solders with guns..but it was a fun night and America asked Israel not to retaliate.
But the next morning we were told by the reps that we had to go home as it was too dangerous.
So two special flights were flown in from Manchester to bring us back ...I was a bit put out as I wanted to stay as we had not yet seen Bethlehem and had booked a tour to Jordan...but they did take us to the Western wall on the way back to Eilat.
What we did see was amazing...Mesada..Dead Sea and would love to go back one day.
Everytime we hear Cher singing Believe..
It's transports us back to the night club in Israel.

Edited at 04:47 PM.
Jet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Might be out of date as it was over 10 years ago. Just loved Israel. Spent 10 days in Jerusalem. Was mainly an academic trip (based at Yad Vashem the holocaust memorial centre) but visited Bethlehem, Masada and the Dead Sea.

Jerusalem is one of my favourite places in the World, such an amazing city, I couldn't believe the way the old town was divided but with no visible barriers. Visiting the Western wall on a Friday night was one of the most memorable parts, along with walking the roof tops of some of the old town. It is seeped in religion and history and scared by conflict.

Bethlehem was totally different, you could see the economic difference between Israel and Palestine and they were just desperate for tourism. I went with some people I went to Yad Vashem with, it was a side trip and we hired a mini bus. Went to the Church of the Shepherds ( a cave on the hill with a nativity scene and a glitter ball but oh the views over the fields were just amazing) and Church of the Nativity, so many competing services going on it was very different and odd. We were then taken to a Christian gift shop and locked in until we bought enough! They were just so desperate for some money.

Food was excellent and really varied. I would love to go back and will one day.
Old 18 Feb 20, 12:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Mobile

Something to bear in mind if you intend to visit Israel and Jordan in the same trip (quite possible), is that if your passport is stamped at the border crossing, thereby showing evidence of having visited Israel, you may have problems using that passport to enter some Muslim countries in the future.

Israel does not stamp passports at TLV airport, and while it may not at the land borders either, there are numerous reports of this happening on the Jordanian side. You can ask them to stamp a piece of paper instead , but not guaranteed they will do it.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Peko View Post
Something to bear in mind if you intend to visit Israel and Jordan in the same trip (quite possible), is that if your passport is stamped at the border crossing, thereby showing evidence of having visited Israel, you may have problems using that passport to enter some Muslim countries in the future.

Israel does not stamp passports at TLV airport, and while it may not at the land borders either, there are numerous reports of this happening on the Jordanian side. You can ask them to stamp a piece of paper instead , but not guaranteed they will do it.

When i went to Tel Aviv we hd the option of getting a page added/stapled into passport and the stamp was put there & removed when we left.*

OP been to Tel Aviv & Jerusalem both interesting places to visit although not sure the armed presence everywhere will be to everyone liking. weird to pop into a cafe & see a load of rifles stacked in the corner. One funny bit got stopped/searched approaching the western wall & the soldier was from Gateshead about 2 miles from me

* must have been 15 years ago?

Edited at 01:38 PM.
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

Israel is beautiful, although a little odd to see people walking around with guns. The old town in Jerusalem is really interesting. If you do go there I would suggest getting a local guide - whilst most people speak a range of languages, a local guide can help you get the most of out the history.

From what I remember the area out to the Dead Sea was fairly barren, the bathing places are in the middle of spas/kibbutz - we went with a local family who knew where to go. Bathing in the Dead Sea was an experience, but the high salt level did make my skin itchy.

I would go back!
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
When i went to Tel Aviv we hd the option of getting a page added/stapled into passport and the stamp was put there & removed when we left.*

* must have been 15 years ago?
It’s a bit different now, at TLV airport you just get a printout slip (similar to those that come out of APC machines in US, though smaller) which you keep with you while in Israel. No stamps anywhere at the airport, at least for UK passport, though as I said, can’t speak for the land borders.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List