Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 6 Jul 20, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

We are big fans of both but at the moment Universal is edging it for us.

Staying onsite with express pass is awesome and we find it really relaxing. I think at the age your kids are they would get a lot out of it.

We will be giving Disney a Miss next year, I love it but things like free dining are a really big draw but without that I’m not sure I’d spend the money on it just now, we will be back at some point, maybe 2022.

Universal onsite with a bit of time offsite say on idrive for Busch Gardens, Seaworld etc would save you a lot of money. This is our plan again for next year.

I’d have a look at some trip reports to see all the different things on offer. I’ve got a few with lots of different combinations here
Old 6 Jul 20, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Mandsjh
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for your input folks.

I’m sorely tempted by the universal resorts at £220 per night with full cancellation. That’s a fab price.

Really got me thinking if we actually cut Disney out of the equation and do universal then discovery cove with the seaworld / Busch tickets chucked in.

Find a cheaper hotel or maybe villa for a couple of weeks after onsite at universal.

Not done any of that before so all brand new.

Plus as somebody mentioned above, it’s probably my attachment to Disney driving that element. My eldest just wants to do something totally different so that all fits the bill and comes in cheaper.

Thank you!
Mandsjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 20, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

Yes, definitely do Universal. You would also have Volcano Bay to do and if you got a Discovery Cove ultimate ticket you would have Aquatica. These waterparks are tons better than Disneys.
Loobylou_82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 20, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mandsjh View Post

I’m sorely tempted by the universal resorts at £220 per night with full cancellation. That’s a fab price.

Really got me thinking if we actually cut Disney out of the equation and do universal then discovery cove with the seaworld / Busch tickets chucked in.

Find a cheaper hotel or maybe villa for a couple of weeks after onsite at universal.

Plus as somebody mentioned above, it’s probably my attachment to Disney driving that element. My eldest just wants to do something totally different so that all fits the bill and comes in cheaper.

Thank you!
If your kids like big thrill rides this is probably the right choice. With a villa or apartment they can have their own bedrooms giving you all a much more relaxed feel. As long as you don't mind driving there are tons of excellent and cheaper non Disney restaurants around.
Old 8 Jul 20, 06:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Fraser789
Very Serious Dibber

I remember when I first went to Florida when I was 13, I absolutely loved it at the Disney parks but I did prefer Universal for the bigger rides.

If you're a Harry Potter fan and you've not seen any of it before I would say that is 100% worth a trip! The new Hagrids ride is amazing.

I love both Disney and Universal but I do still prefer it at Universal. I just find it more relaxing going at your own pace and not rushing for fastpasses.

CityWalk has some great restaurants to try too. It looks nice at night time.
Fraser789 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
GMickeyB
Excited about Disney

I was tempted to just do Universal with a rescheduled trip, but in the end went for both, but Universal is great and has something for all.
And yes City Walk is amazing!
GMickeyB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 20, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber

mushumadness's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by papasmurf View Post
With kids that age. I’d do universal/seaworld/Busch/discovery cove over Disney.
thats what we are doing in march my kids will be 9/9/11/12
mushumadness is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 20, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Mandsjh View Post

Thank you!
You can always visit DS, the boardwalk and the hotels for a disney fix too.
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 20, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Maret
Earning More Ears

Hi not been since 2015 my daughters were age 8 & 10, back then they both preferred universal definitely!, we’re going back next year they will be 14 & 16, we are doing universal,seaworld, discovery cove & Busch gardens, we may get a a one day tkt to Hollywood studios for the new star wars area as hubby & I big fans, due to costs of both & this time wanting more relaxing days to see other parts of orlando & shopping we are not buying Disney tkts.
Last time we also went to see Space Kennedy centre & stayed 1 night at Clearwater beach, so a much more chilled holiday this time.
Maret is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 20, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Mandsjh
Apprentice Imagineer

Your situation sounds very similar to ours and I think we are also now looking at universal, discovery cove, Busch, seaworld.

We did a night at st petes and loved it previously so might do this to visit Busch a couple of days.

Haven’t ruled out an after hours at one of the Disney parks yet but think I’d sort that whilst actually away based on how we feel. Probably not an mnsshp which might be sell out. Just one of those after hours tickets which seem to be more easily available.
Mandsjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List