Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 Sep 20, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
iloveholidays1
Apprentice Imagineer

Maybe they're trying to gauge whether permanent change to LHR is more attractive to bookers, so by offering both they can see where the real demand is. It would certainly be easier for me to travel from LHR.
ASSports Oct/Nov 2014 ASSports August 2016 POFQ Aug/Sept 2019
Cabana Bay/Carribbean Beach Jan/Feb 23
iloveholidays1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 20, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by penguin19 View Post
I've got a food friend who is a BA pilot - currently still furloughed, but fortunately not been made redundant.

Essentially Heathrow is their priority for everything and won't look at flying regularly from other airports if the same route isn't full / busy at Heathrow. My friend flies from London City - which is why still furloughed as Heathrow is the priority.

I imagine they would need very large demand from Heathrow to consider going back to Gatwick on an Orlando route. I personally can't see them going back to Gatwick-Orlando anytime soon - but thats just a guess from the little I know
If this is the case why are there two flights a day from Gatwick to Orlando next year? Gatwick is better for me as I can get a direct train but I'd have to go into London and then get a tube if I went from Heathrow. I can't drive for health reasons.

Edited at 01:58 PM.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 20, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
antietam
Imagineer

I have my flights out of Gatwick to MCO or 13 Aug at 1035 and coming cack from New York to Gatwick on 29 Aug at 2200

I would not be surprised if they move us to LHR at some point as they dont want to use LGW
Old 27 Sep 20, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Raggyavn
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Donaldfan View Post
If this is the case why are there two flights a day from Gatwick to Orlando next year? Gatwick is better for me as I can get a direct train but I'd have to go into London and then get a tube if I went from Heathrow. I can't drive for health reasons.
Because BA testing the water at no risk to themselves. If the Gatwick take up is low or Heathrow is not yet at capacity, BA will use their slots at LHR and cancel the Gatwick flights (it's cheaper not to have ground staff at 2 locations). When a LGW customer rings up regarding their cancelled flight they will merely be transferred to a LHR at "no extra cost" until LHR capacity is reached, after that BA will have a decision to make.

BA are changing the flight schedules on an almost daily basis. In the last 2 months I have had flights to Copenhagen moved from Leeds to Manchester and then those flights were cancelled and we were placed on flights that had long layover times at LHR. Those flights have now been in turn cancelled and we were placed onto flights that had we good layover times at LHR and now Denmark has paced restrictions on those travelling from the UK.

I not going for 4 weeks, I think I'll wait to see what happens!
Raggyavn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 20, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Alohomora
Getting Excited

Mobile

Mmm, interesting question. My TA said Virgin are only flying out of LHR now. I would prefer LGW as it's closer. I have just booked my hotel for the night prior at LHR. Everything is more expensive there too. I like the ease of Gatwick but I guess it's just familiarity.
Alohomora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 20, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Alohomora View Post
Mmm, interesting question. My TA said Virgin are only flying out of LHR now. I would prefer LGW as it's closer. I have just booked my hotel for the night prior at LHR. Everything is more expensive there too. I like the ease of Gatwick but I guess it's just familiarity.
We are the opposite

Heathrow is much easier for us and we have tended to find it cheaper than Gatwick - especially using something like Hotwire. I do find Gatwick easier to navigate but once you’re in the right terminal Heathrow is fine
Old 29 Sep 20, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Alohomora View Post
Yes, Virgin are only flying out of Heathrow but this thread is about BA, not Virgin.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 20, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Alohomora
Getting Excited

Mobile

Originally Posted by Donaldfan View Post
Yes, Virgin are only flying out of Heathrow but this thread is about BA, not Virgin.
Oh yeah, so it is 😳🤔🤣
I am off sick today so I will use that as my excuse 😤 🤣

Sorry about that, OP, and anyone else that I have confused along the way 😕 🙂
Alohomora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 20, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney45
slightly serious Dibber

Heathrow is so much better for us up here in the north of Scotland at least now we can get connecting flights out of the same airport rather than the dreaded swap across London.
2019 dibb villa @ watersong & Hardrock Hotel
2017 Terra Verde villa & CSR
2016 Sapphire Falls & PORS
2015 All Stars Music
2014 Sol Costa Dorada, Salou
2013 POFQ
Disney45 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 20, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I wouldn’t book Gatwick - from what I read and see good chance it might be cancelled.