Notices

Old 6 Jan 13, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
pennycrayon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
A West Coast Adventure+1 update!

We now have all our hotels booked so thought it was time to start the pre-trip report and hopefully get lots planning help from you lovely dibbers!

Index (saving for later!)

Meet the cast

We are G and H, big Disney fans, we even got married in WDW a couple of years ago

We have been lucky enough to go to WDW together 4 times and Disneyland Paris 3 times, as well as a fair bit of travelling elsewhere in the world. H has doen the west coast twice as a child and loved disneyland.

Why the trip? This year was meant to be the year of being a grown-up and saving and fingers crossed actually being able to sell our current house and buy a another one. Last May we had a "last" big blow out trip to WDW staying at Saratoga Springs (loved it!)... then following a summer of illness we thought *sod it* and enjoyed a sneaky trip to Disneyland Paris... oops...

2013 comes round and there are 3 birthdays this summer including my FIL who is 70, and decides to treat us and my BIL and SIL to a week in Vegas including flights and hotel to celebrate We are very thankful and it would be rude for me and H to not extend the trip ourselves and it has ended up turning into a 2 and a half week trip including ending in Disneyland to celebrate my special birthday (my 30th) a couple of days early.

Where and when are we going?

24th-31st July - Vegas
31st July-2nd August - San Francisco
2nd -4th August - Hollywood
4th-8th August - Disneyland!

We all fly out on the 24th July 2013. I am not used to flying in high season, and especially not used to summer holiday prices!

The rest of the family are flying out from Manchester and me and H are flying from "up north" with BA connecting in Heathrow and then onwards to Vegas. This works out much better for us, we only live 15 mins away from the airport .

We all get into Vegas around the same time but different terminals. We all booked into the Elara Grand Vacations studio accomodation which is attached to Planet Hollywood and the miracle mile shopping centre.

I believe the hotel is only 3 years old, and was refurbed and renamed only last year so should be nice

Slightly regretting requesting high floors for all 3 rooms now as I have a fear of heights, the hotel building is 50 odd storeys high

Having never been to Vegas before, I am not sure what to expect. I really like the fact this hotel is meant to be quite quiet and has a lovely pool area to escape the madness, especially due to the heat! We are planning to slowly explore all the hotels, seen a couple of shows and hire a car for a couple of days to get out of Vegas and do some exploring. MIL and FIL have been to Vegas a few times so going to let them take the lead

The studios each have kitchenette, and it gets great reviews, it was very reasonably priced. I am also planning on organising a birthday cake for FIL birthday - just not sure where from yet

Willpost more tomorrow!

Edited at 10:30 AM.
pennycrayon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 13, 01:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Cal and Dave
Imagineer

Sounds great. Looking forward to your trippie
Cal and Dave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 13, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
pennycrayon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Cal and Dave View Post
Sounds great. Looking forward to your trippie
Thank you! We have all the hotels booked so will post the rest of the trip!
Old 19 Jan 13, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
pennycrayon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
After a week in Vegas all family members are splitting up and oing on their own adventures

We are flying into San Francisco. We have booked a mid morning flight with Virgin America, following great reviews on here

We have economy seats booked and were very reasonable, you can reserve your seats whilst you book so have managed to get the only economy seats in the front section. We will need to pay $25 each for our cabin bags when we check but drinks and ife is included on the flight.

I think we will use supershuttle when we land, not going to book this from what I have read I might as well just turn up and pay on the day.

I love all the Victorian architecture so web have booked a B&B in Cow Hill on Union Street, it looks lovely and gets amazing reviews and there are lots of independent cafes and shops in the area and buses to all the sights.

We are booked into the golden gate room, this was one of the cheapest rooms (was cheaper than fishermans wharf/union sq hotels for our dates too), and comes with an amazing sit down breakfast and free homemade cookies and lemonade thoroughout the day

We need are going to book the grand circle San Francisco and alcatraz tour though viator as they will pick us from the inn other than that no plans yet, going to ask the inn for some recommendations for Local restaurants.

Edited at 10:33 AM.
pennycrayon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 13, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
pennycrayon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
After only 3 days in San Francisco we are flying again with Virgin America into LAX, again got a great price and seats

I think we will use the flyaway shuttle service ($7 each) to connect to the metro as our apartment is next to the Hollywood/vine station, but may change my mind nearer the time!

We are staying at the redbury hotel for 2 nights in a studio apartment. The hotel looks lovely all retro, and sadly I know I will be excited to have a washing machine

There is a restaurant downstairs called Cleo that gets fab reviews so will probably go there one night and eat in the other.

The hotel is on the walk of fame an 5 mins away from Graumans theatre etc. Again plans not firmed up but will include the Warner bros VIP tour
Old 19 Jan 13, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
pennycrayon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
After two nights in Hollywood we are on our way to DISNEYLAND! It's my 30th birthday a couple of days after we get back but we are going into celebrate in Disney instead

A the moment we are planning on using the luxbus its leaves at 7:30am though

I have spent ages trying to pick where to stay I tried renting dvc points but they were fully booked. My head said stay offsite and my heart said on site we have justified it by saying its for my 30th birthday I have a deposit held for a 4 night package with park hopper tickets staying at Paradise Pier the cheapest of the 3 hotels. The rooms were refurbished last year and are bright and colourful with a beachy theme

I have never been to Disneyland so very excited, no plans as yet bar he fantasmic dessert package.

Following disneyland we will make our way back to LAX and fly home via Heathrow on BA again.

I wil update this thread once we have made some more plans
Old 20 Jan 13, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
tclaireh
Apprentice Imagineer

tclaireh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Hi

Looking forward to reading about your plans. We were also in SSR last May & have now booked to go to Vegas & LA so we must share similar tastes!

Claire x
tclaireh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 13, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post

Love doing the West Coast so will look forward to your trip report.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 13, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
becky2203
Imagineer

becky2203's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Your plans sound great, look forward to reading your trippie!
becky2203 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 13, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 32
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Exciting gem! Can't wait to read more about your plans!

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
NatsyNoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List