Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Closed Thread

Old 7 Sep 14, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
princess1706
Excited about Disney

Go pro thoughts/experiences

Hey all!

Just chatting about our up coming trip and the hubby had a marvellous (expensive!) idea about investing in a go pro camera. Has anybody got any experiences of using one on their Florida trip?

Thanks a lot.
Lucie x
princess1706 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 14, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by princess1706 View Post
Hey all!

Just chatting about our up coming trip and the hubby had a marvellous (expensive!) idea about investing in a go pro camera. Has anybody got any experiences of using one on their Florida trip?

Thanks a lot.
Lucie x
Yes - had a Hero3 Black edition which I use for mountian biking but it broke, so got a refund and repurchased in Walmart out in Florida saving around £150. (Purchased a Hero3+ Silver.)

Great piece of kit, but it depends how you want to use it. (not, theres no lcd display as they are designed for recording the action mounted rather than handheld looking at a screen.) (you can buy the LCD add on if required. )

Great for swimming and rides.

Any questions please ask.
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 14, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
emmylou
Excited about Disney

We bought one this year and will take it on our trip in October. I know that Universal won't let you take them on rides but Disney seem ok with it...

RickT - what's the best mount for this whilst in theme pars/waterparks?
Old 7 Sep 14, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
grinner82
Imagineer

grinner82's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 19
Guidebook Photos: 83
Guidebook Reviews: 10
There is no doubt that the Go Pro is a top bit of kit, used by a lot of Tv and film companies to get was used to be difficult shots. As said universal wont have them on their rides.

If you did not want to incest £300 + in a Go Pro, this is a copy of it. Produces good footage, and a fraction of the price. Just a thought. hobbyking/hobbyking/s...roof_Case.html
Old 7 Sep 14, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by emmylou View Post
RickT - what's the best mount for this whilst in theme pars/waterparks?
Hi.. I have a wrist mount and also a mini tripod (gorilla pod) which you can hold and grip to use as a hand held.

I paid around £160 ish for my Go Pro Silver Hero 3 + from walmart. ($40 pre paid free credit to!) the new Hero 4 will push prices of the 3's down.

The link above seems like a good price for a clone type of unit, but without seeing one in the flesh cant comment, however just make sure you can get spare batteries.
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 14, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

Just been watching some videos of the SJ4000 v varoius GoPro's.

Looks a good bit of kit from the reviews, however from the videos I have watched in 1080p/720p (60fps/ 3fps) side by side, the SJ4000 seems to lack an element of true color, but i guess it depends on what your eyes are used to seeing. (also digtal filters may help or custom config of contrast, hue, WB, sat etc etc)

Of course, the lenses, sensors etc are cheaper quality (you would hope) but they do seem to create watchable footage.

Im always going to favor a GoPro, but I think if your only going to use it on holiday, it "could" be an option... (also.. note in Florida on a sunny clear day you get perfect light too) which would help.

Would be good if any owners have any disney footage to view... (or night time footage)
Old 7 Sep 14, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
princess1706
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by RickT View Post
Hi.. I have a wrist mount and also a mini tripod (gorilla pod) which you can hold and grip to use as a hand held.

I paid around £160 ish for my Go Pro Silver Hero 3 + from walmart. ($40 pre paid free credit to!) the new Hero 4 will push prices of the 3's down.

The link above seems like a good price for a clone type of unit, but without seeing one in the flesh cant comment, however just make sure you can get spare batteries.
Thanks RickT! Will have a look on the Walmart website see if we can save a penny or two! Yes I did see an article today about the release of the 4 but it doesn't give the release date!

Do we know if sea world and the waterparks are ok with them?

I must admit quite fancy the go pro fetch harness for the dog! Feel like we would get our monies worth though as hubby is a cycling enthusiast whilst I could use it at the stables!
princess1706 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 14, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
scruffycharlie
Apprentice Imagineer

We bought one a target on our recent trip, we used it loads and the quality is great. We found it well worth the money. Seaworld don't allow them on kraken and manta but we got some great footage from the front row at one ocean. We used it at aquatica no problem.
scruffycharlie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 14, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
emmylou
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by RickT View Post

Thanks for this, we got a mini tripod included but will look into the wrist mount.

How did everyone find that the battery held out?

Any other tips for use at waterparks and theme parks?
Old 7 Sep 14, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer2802
Imagineer

Imagineer2802's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 27

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 74
This has given way to a brand new Florida bug bear of mine... people walking around with go pros on top of long sticks! They were everywhere this year, and they don't half look stupid and ruin your view!

2019 - August - Europe on the Magic! 17th Trip!

**~ °o° ~°o° ~ °o°~°o° ~°o° ~ °o°~**
Imagineer2802 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread