Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Aug 22, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridadot
slightly serious Dibber

Another way to try get everyone to have a smart meter. They’ve already said the goal is surge pricing so you’ll eventually be charged more for using electricity at peak times!
Floridadot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 22, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridadot View Post
Another way to try get everyone to have a smart meter. They’ve already said the goal is surge pricing so you’ll eventually be charged more for using electricity at peak times!
I'd add to that that all smartmeters can be set to prepayment mode if people can't afford to pay by DD, or if people refuse to pay.

They don't publicise that very much though.
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 22, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridadot
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
I'd add to that that all smartmeters can be set to prepayment mode if people can't afford to pay by DD, or if people refuse to pay.

I didn’t know that! I’ve no intention of getting a smart meter definitely until I see exactly what their intentions are going forward.
Floridadot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 22, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
lovewdw
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post

How is that any different to the outcome if you have a non-smart meter? If you can't or refuse to pay, the supplier will fit a prepayment meter (They have the legal right to do this even if you don't agree/allow access).
lovewdw is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 22, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by lovewdw View Post
How is that any different to the outcome if you have a non-smart meter? If you can't or refuse to pay, the supplier will fit a prepayment meter (They have the legal right to do this even if you don't agree/allow access).
This, my mate is one of the big chaps who stand next to the electrician so he can do his job efficiently 🤣
captain-codeye is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 22, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lovewdw View Post
The difference is they can change it with a software tick box, rather than requiring a court order.

To change your method of payment on an existing meter in safe condition they have no right of entry without a court order, my mother had hers returned to a credit meter and substantial compensation paid when hers was changed "in error".
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 22, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
jenna288
Apprentice Imagineer

I've spent some time cutting back (granted we've been in Florida for 2 weeks but my best friend and family stayed in our house while we were gone and she is cutting back too so was careful (even though I told her not to worry!) . I have cut back alot on the gas. Before now I used hot water very freely but it's gone from £40 in June to £9 in August! Electric was £100 ish in July and now £70 for August (we've changed washing machine to 30 degree express wash and I'm only using the dishwasher on my 3 work days a week and hand washing dishes the rest of the time). I've also switched certain appliances off at the plug. I know it will still go up again from October and the heating will be on but going to try and make use of our woodburner in the evening. Nice to see that some small changes seem to be making a difference
WDW and Universal August 2022
NY and WDW March 2024
jenna288 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 22, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
SgtElias
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

I’ve just looked at my latest bill online with OVO (fixed until sept 2023) I’m starting to take a lot more notice of these things. My bill for the month for gas and electric was £45:01, gas used £2:18, standing charge for the gas £7:36, electric used £27:06, standing charge £6:80. Whichever way we turn, energy, food, fuel, we lose.
SgtElias is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List