Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Aug 22, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber

mushumadness's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

We had this and our new build got delayed from November to January !
So had to move home with parents

New builds are so unpredictable especially when winter sets in

You may have to do what we did and move your things to storage (we are two adults four kids so we had a lot)
mushumadness is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 22, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Yorkshire_Dan
Apprentice Imagineer

I went through something similar about a year ago and we basically decided that we couldn’t afford to lose the house sale and so moved in with parents for two weeks whilst putting 90% of our stuff into storage and then completed on our purchase later.
Yorkshire_Dan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 22, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

It would be a no from me with a polite explanation that you have nowhere to live until your new build is ready, anything else would be too much disruption for the sake of a month or two for me.

I'd also have a chat with the agent about putting other (no chain) buyers on alert just in case.
Old 11 Aug 22, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by fl-veteran View Post
It would be a no from me with a polite explanation that you have nowhere to live until your new build is ready, anything else would be too much disruption for the sake of a month or two for me.

I'd also have a chat with the agent about putting other (no chain) buyers on alert just in case.
Problem is you are looking for a no chain mortgage free buyer willing to accept a totally uncertain completion date which could move by months. I don't think that is a very large pool of people.
vhm672 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 22, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vhm672 View Post
Problem is you are looking for a no chain mortgage free buyer willing to accept a totally uncertain completion date which could move by months. I don't think that is a very large pool of people.
I think that depends on the area. Houses near me are usually on the market for less than 24 hours, you can be choosy with buyers and they are often prepared to be flexible to get what they want. It doesn't need to be a cash buyer, just one without a chain.

While things might change going forward, right now it's a sellers market in most places.

I also think few people would allow the purchase of the house they want to fall through because they had to wait an extra couple of months.

Had I been messing the buyers around due to my builder messing me around I might feel a little more understanding but it sounds like the OP has been straight from the off.

A house move is a massive deal, I wouldn't want to do it twice in a short space of time!
Old 11 Aug 22, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

Who cares what is “reasonable”
You need to ignore Dibber mentality of hand wringing here ( these people never recline their airline seats ! )

Decide what works for you.
Often buying a new build has a contract on sale with a long stop date. That is an “end of line date” that completion must happen by. Everyone knows new builds can over run. If that doesn’t work for the buyer and you are in an area that properties go fast, then just remarket it
Old 11 Aug 22, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

When I sold my house it was a buyers market. No houses had sold on our estate for over 6 months, ours was on the market for 3 months with no viewing. I had to play to my buyers fiddle or risk losing them.
The tables have totally turned now, if I was selling the same house I would have a huge queue of viewers and probably multiple offers on the table.
I personally would go back to your buyers and tell them you are not able to commit to a timeframe and leave it at that. If they are not happy they can walk away and you will have another buyer in no time.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 07:36 AM  
Link to this Post
HappyHaunt13
Excited about Disney

I agree with the last couple of posters.. it’s definitely a sellers market at the moment and you have the advantage that they obviously love your house so I think that they are highly unlikely to back out now.

It was horrible shopping for a home last year houses were being sold before even being marketed… one house my husband fell head over heels for, we were the second viewers and at the end of us viewing and is making an offer of full asking price on the spot, the house owner informed us that the first viewer had also offered and as that buyer was mortgage free (landlady adding to her portfolio) she understandably wanted the security of no chain and less faff with mortgages. It was soul destroying at times.

We moved into our beautiful New build in the most sought after part of our town in April! Sheer luck that the buyer pulled out of the sale at the exact moment I decided to call head office to enquire if there was any hope of one becoming available. Our sales lady still talks about being convinced I have psychic abilities 🤣
HappyHaunt13 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
MUAlumni
Excited about Disney

Maybe it’s a case that the buyer has a decent mortgage rate agreed and as these offers usually only last up to 6 months maybe that’s when it’ll expire and there concerned how much it will cost them to arrange a new deal
MUAlumni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List