Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber

mushumadness's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

Originally Posted by Leanne1977 View Post
My son doesn't get high rate mobility, just low rate, with high rate care and he has a rap. He does have a blue badge though and I did take a letter from his paediatrician explaining why he struggles with queues. Are you able to get a letter?

And that is awful that they said that! 😡
No
I did call and they said it isn’t their job to clarify children's conditions to theme parks and to raise it as discriminating

I havnt got a blue badge for him as I have never got round to applying and don’t think we would use it
mushumadness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 21, 06:30 AM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Imagineer

My DS has autism and ADHD
He gets a pass whenever we go I just e mailed a letter from the consultant .The inability to queue is not just about mobility .
It makes a massive difference to the day and how many rides you can do .
In practice you rarely wait the suggested time and even if the attendants tick off all the rides you can just go back and get another card /sheet although we have never done that
inky1 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 21, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mushumadness View Post
I’m going tomorrow
Been told my autistic son who has adhd can’t have a pass as he doesn’t get high rate mobility on dla just highest rate care and low
Mobility
They actually wrote he’s not disabled enough
Go figure
Sorry to hear this.
This is why we havent visited alton towers or similar since both my ds with asd were born.Happy to provide proof of their disability,but getting a specific letter from gp is difficult,the gp never sees them,and cahms discharge asap.I guess it would be impossible at the moment as very hard to get through,never mind an appt,although havent tried tbh.
nadya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 21, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Jo
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mushumadness View Post
No
I did call and they said it isn’t their job to clarify children's conditions to theme parks and to raise it as discriminating

I havnt got a blue badge for him as I have never got round to applying and don’t think we would use it
Merlin attractions accept the Access Card.

accesscard.uk/

We applied for an access card before Covid, we sent off all our daughters diagnosis letters and it came back very quickly with the symbols appropriate for her. These were queueing, long walks, bad eye sight and she requires 1 carer. I sent this as proof to Chessington, when we arrived we showed the card to guest services and they issued the park disabled card which is valid for a year.

Access card is also being recognized in a lot more places, the team are doing a wonderful job of trying to make places understand the needs and it saves carrying around all the paperwork.

You do have to pay a fee but it wasn't too much.
August 2018 - Villa at Oak Island Community
December 2021 - Art of Animation Cars Suite
Disney Jo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 21, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber

mushumadness's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

Thank you I’ll get that applied for this weekend
As he wants to come back to alton for his birthday on Halloween
mushumadness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 21, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Slore
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Disney Jo View Post
Merlin attractions accept the Access Card.

accesscard.uk/

We applied for an access card before Covid, we sent off all our daughters diagnosis letters and it came back very quickly with the symbols appropriate for her. These were queueing, long walks, bad eye sight and she requires 1 carer. I sent this as proof to Chessington, when we arrived we showed the card to guest services and they issued the park disabled card which is valid for a year.

Access card is also being recognized in a lot more places, the team are doing a wonderful job of trying to make places understand the needs and it saves carrying around all the paperwork.

You do have to pay a fee but it wasn't too much.
I also applied for this card with letters from the consultant and GP. It was quickly accepted for Merlin and although there’s a small charge it’s peace of mind as a lot more places are accepting it too.
Slore is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 21, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Jo
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Slore View Post
I also applied for this card with letters from the consultant and GP. It was quickly accepted for Merlin and although there’s a small charge it’s peace of mind as a lot more places are accepting it too.
I know the Access team also had a meeting with Google and I think it was to try to get the symbols more recognised and on the search engine and website details when they appear.

Hopefully the more people who have one issued will help grow the understanding and acceptance of it.
August 2018 - Villa at Oak Island Community
December 2021 - Art of Animation Cars Suite
Disney Jo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 21, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

Def go for an Access Card, then its just a case of showing the card and getting a RAP issued. Sadly the RAP system has been subject to a lot of abuse and people pretending to have conditions they do not have which I think is why they are specific to the document requests.