Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 1 Aug 22, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
99plums
Imagineer

Arrived into MLB 2hrs late on 17/07/22.
Booked :- Full Size SUV with Alamo thru Andy.
Given :- Premium SUV GMC Yukon XL.
Got to the desk around 8pm, all they had was a Nissan Armada and the Yukon.
She did say the Yukon was a Premium but would probably be better for us as we had 6 people in our group.

It was huge but great to drive.
I paid for the Fuel Service Option to bring it back empty and that was $110 including the airport tax.
It had 8 seats in a 2-3-3 set up, loads of leg room. The picture of the empty boot is with all seats up.
Only needed to put 1 of the back seats down to fit luggage and hand luggage for 6 people.
👍

Edited at 06:49 PM.
99plums is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 22, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
highgates
Gone all Goofy

M.C.O airport. Alamo(booked through DFCH).
Ford F150 XLT supercrew cab
5Lt V8 (400bhp).
18.5mpg (1037miles driven over 2wks).

Collected VTP from Terminal A and tried using the Alamo self service kiosk but had issues (i had already done the accelerated check-in back in the UK).
Attendant told me to use the counter. No queue,no upsell etc very quick process

Pleasantly surprised with the XLT, very well equipped massive 12" infotainment touch screen,sat nav (unlicensed) Apple car play,premium radio etc.

One rear seat lifted up to accommodate all our cases (3 medium and 3 carry-on hard shell cases) no problem also tinted rear glass.

We used the rear flat bed section of the truck to carry our fully inflated tubes(tired down with luggage straps)to use at the springs.
Easy to drive and park with the size of Florida roads as my 22yr old son found out as he did most of the driving(young driver package DFCH)
P.s sorry no pictures of the cases inside the truck as my camera had some water damage from the springs
highgates is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 22, 05:15 AM  
Link to this Post
berneslai
Helping Minnie

Honolulu Airport. Booked Intermediate SUV with Avis ($481.56) through VIP Cars for 7 days. The booking couldn’t be added to my Avis Preferred account due to it being a US booking made in Sweden (!). Weirdly, this was the only price that US Car Hire (and others) couldn’t get near. There is definitely a shortage of cars in Hawaii.

Received a Mitsubishi Outlander “Sport” with 14k miles on the clock. If this is an SUV then I should take action through Trade Descriptions. Drives like it’s permanently in a gear too high and has a Ye Olde handbrake and automatic shift. Thankfully has Apple CarPlay otherwise there’s nothing to recommend it.

Edited at 06:04 AM.
berneslai is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 22, 03:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Abbey36
VIP Dibber

Abbey36's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Avis via DFCH

So landed late at Miami booked Mustang Convertible Avis via Andy at DFCH, registered with Avis Preferred & sent them a DM on Twitter to link the booking, name was on the board. First 2 cars engine oil lights on 3rd car lots of scuffs but so tired at this point, took some photos went back to desk they signed our paperwork to confirm damage & off we went! No hard sell not as bad as I feared as first time with Avis usually go with Alamo.

We fitted 2 large cases, 2 small cabin cases, rucksack, holdall & large handbag in plus 2 adults & a 6ft 3 teen!

Cumbrian Lakes Villa 2 weeks March 2011

Sunset Lakes (Sue’s Villa) Aurora 3 weeks April 2017

Hard Rock Hotel/Sunset Lakes (Sue’s Villa) Aurora 3 weeks August 2019

Royal Pacific/Sunset Lakes 4 weeks August 2022

Edited at 02:55 PM.
Abbey36 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 22, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
KEEWAYDIN
a Friend of the DIBB

Alamo full size suv

Picked up at MCO
Alamo Full size SUV booked with US Car hire
Chose Jeep Wagoneer
Arrived at B side as always no initial offer to choose your own and was given a choice of three Armadas but refused them and asked the attendant to let me choose. He followed me with all the full size suv keys and I came across this Jeep Wagoneer, which is what I wanted!

Only 7400 miles on the odometer and it’s averaging 18.9mpg

Edited at 09:23 PM. Reason: Forgot pictures
KEEWAYDIN is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
berneslai
Helping Minnie

Final car rental of the trip. Standard SUV ($366) from Thrifty from Santa Ana airport (15 miles away from Disneyland) for 7 days.

Great service again from Thrifty, despite the scare stories on Yelp. Received a GMC Terrain, very similar to the Chevy Equinox driven already, but wrapped up in a better package (same electronics, same boot space). Happy with this and will do well for cruising around SoCal.

berneslai is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 01:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Abbey36
VIP Dibber

Abbey36's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
7 seater hire Avis via DFCH pick up at RPR

Booked 7 seater with Avis via Andy at DFCH it was dropped off at RPR for us, got a Chrysler Pacifica Sport absolutely beautiful. Think it’s 2020 model with around 40k on the clock
It has Apple play etc & lots of gadgets we haven’t even sussed out yet. Seats can be lock & stowed into the floor if required. Also a DVD player that folds down from the roof. Very pleased with it, drives really well.

Cumbrian Lakes Villa 2 weeks March 2011

Sunset Lakes (Sue’s Villa) Aurora 3 weeks April 2017

Hard Rock Hotel/Sunset Lakes (Sue’s Villa) Aurora 3 weeks August 2019

Royal Pacific/Sunset Lakes 4 weeks August 2022
Abbey36 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
nape dog
Proud to wear my Ears

Booked a Full Size 7 seat SUV with Alamo through USCarHire from MCO.
Guy in the garage offered a GMC Yukon or an Armada. Initially chose Yukon until I saw how battered it was. Went back and he offered a new Infinity QX80.
31 miles on the clock so pretty happy with that option.
I wouldn’t buy one, but nice to try it out.

Edited at 11:58 AM.
nape dog is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 22, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

Car booked: Full-size SUV
Car given: Chevy Tahoe (asked for that at the desk, saw an Armarda or two in the lot also, but wanted the Yank)
Hired from: Port Canaveral Alamo via Virgin, £580 for 6 days. Rented back in Nov, and Virgin's prices only increased since then, at one point it was above £1k. Alamo Brits and DFCH were always £800+ on my monthly checks.
It's not brand spanning new, and it's got a couple of parking scratches that the missus took close-ups of.
Huge amounts of space with the final row seats folded, swallows cases well.
Drives well, decent grunt, not popped the hood to see if it's the 5.3 or 6.2 V8, but picks up when needed. Will check the trim (got a 6.2 LS3 Camaro back home, like that sound).

Gear selection via buttons on the dash rather than a stick or column shift, no paddles.

Trunk with seats folded, and four cases.

328mi predicted range for three quarters of a tank:

Apple Carplay, Android Auto in the apps, lovely seats, tyke happy with her rear individual seating.

Edited at 03:09 PM.
IndianaMac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 22, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
WDocW
Very Serious Dibber

Booked a standard SUV with Alamo through DFCH at a much more palatable £521 for 12 days having seen nothing under £1k in May/June.

Arrived to find a rather depressing selection of ropey GM/Kia/Hyundai products in the lineup so decided rather than settling to try the “I was really hoping for a…” approach which was rewarded with this very nice Explorer Limited arriving.
Only 10k on the clock and it’s fully loaded with ventilated seat, B+O stereo etc.

Anyone who’s interested the full size SUV lineup had a couple of very nice Wagoneers alongside a load of rubbish-looking Infiniti/Nissans. I managed to prevent someone picking one of the Infinitis by pointing out the Jeep further along so felt I’d done my good deed for the day!
WDocW is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List

Tags
alamo, avis, avis preffered, budget, car hire, compact, dollar, full size, hertz, intermediate, midsize, mini van, sixt, standard, suv, thrifty