Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 8 Aug 22, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Crossing into US via Canadian land border - esta

Has anyone gone into the USA from Canada via the land border recently.

I'm seeing 2 conflicting pieces of info. The US embassy website saysin answer to ''Can I enter the US from Canada by land under the ESTA program:

uk.usembassy.gov/visas/non-i...gram-and-esta/

''Yes. If you enter by land there is no requirement that you be in possession of a round trip or onward ticket. The immigration authorities at the border crossing will issue you with the arrival/departure record card, I-94W. You will be charged a $6.00 administrative fee; the fee is payable in U.S. dollars only.''

However, the US border control site says:

help.cbp.gov/s/article/Artic...language=en_US

''If you have an approved ESTA when entering the United States at a land border crossing, you will not be required to complete the paper I-94W form, and your entry process is expedited. If you are coming to the United States by air or sea, you DO have to apply for ESTA.''

We have approved ESTAs so I'm assuming the latter is correct and we can enter on the ESTA, no need for the $6 fee for an i-94. The more i search though the more confused with some folks sharing an app called CBP One to prepay the $6.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post

I'm seeing 2 conflicting pieces of info. The US embassy website saysin answer to ''Can I enter the US from Canada by land under the ESTA program:

''Yes. If you enter by land there is no requirement that you be in possession of a round trip or onward ticket. The immigration authorities at the border crossing will issue you with the arrival/departure record card, I-94W. You will be charged a $6.00 administrative fee; the fee is payable in U.S. dollars only.''

''If you have an approved ESTA when entering the United States at a land border crossing, you will not be required to complete the paper I-94W form, and your entry process is expedited. If you are coming to the United States by air or sea, you DO have to apply for ESTA.''

We have approved ESTAs so I'm assuming the latter is correct and we can enter on the ESTA, no need for the $6 fee for an i-94. The more i search though the more confused with some folks sharing an app called CBP One to prepay the $6.
I think CornishFrogBoy does this journey so should be along to help.

Also check the Esta equivalent for Canada.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
wombat girl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post

The ESTA is for flying into USA.
You will need a land visa which costs around $6 per person.

We waved our ESTA and they waived the fee. Still had to fill in all the forms and the car checked.

Worth a try - that was pre covid. We have done this trip a few times
DLP 2018 - Star Tours - A solo story trip May 2018
ASM 2018 - It's Looking like a lot like a Christmas Wombat- Solo Trip TBC
wombat girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I did it two weeks ago and you need an ESTA and pay $6. As I entered after 6pm or something it’s cc not cash. If it’s earlier it’s cash not cc or some such thing so be prepared to have both on you.
The wait to pay was around 15 minutes. Remember what ever you do don’t have food with you.
Old 9 Aug 22, 12:09 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

We're going from Canada to USA by ferry from Vancouver Island. Does the $6 still apply? We have ESTAs.

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 22, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by anji View Post
We're going from Canada to USA by ferry from Vancouver Island. Does the $6 still apply? We have ESTAs.
The link above suggests not if entering by sea, it will be in your ticket. It says:

Why do I have to pay a $6.00 fee if entering the United States by land under the Visa Waiver Program?

This fee is charged to all travelers regardless of whether or not they have a visa. For those entering the United States by air or sea, the fee is included in the cost of their ticket.
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List