Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 28 Jun 22, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
fiona88
Excited about Disney

Ford escape se 6038 miles on the clock
Avis intermediate SUV hired from MCO on 3rd of June £990 for 3 weeks

Long wait at the desk and they tried the hard sell, but to no avail
Lane departure warnings were really handy on this trip as it took a bit of time adjusting to the lane position
Supposedly had android auto but I couldn't get it to work and apple play which I never tried

Boot was just big enough for 2 large cases and 2 carry ons with a bit of Tetris, similar size to our x-trail at home

Also thanks to Andy for arranging the rental

Edited at 08:59 AM.
fiona88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 22, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
scottwalker
I want to go now!

Got back on Thursday. Got a Chrysler Pacifica minivan with about 9500 miles on the clock. Used the skip the queue at Alamo and it was about as easy as it could get. We averaged 15.9mpg, not great but even with the gas prices, still far cheaper than here.

Apple CarPlay didn't work but I found a tutorial that said if you hold down the power and tune (I think) button for 20secs, it will reboot the system and then it worked perfectly.

We had 5 adults and a 4 year old. Flying out, we had 6 cases and several pieces of hand luggage plus a pram.

I was worried that it wouldn't fit but putting one of the rear seats down, it was a bit of a squeeze but more than comfortable to drive from the airport to Pop Century, even with a baby seat.

Returning home, we had 2 extra cases and still managed to squeeze in using the same method as before.

scottwalker is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 22, 01:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

7 seat SUV

Booked 7 seat SUV with Alamo via Autoeurope £603 for 10 days
Did online check in prior and completed check in via self service machines at MCO.
Very easy process printed receipt with £0 balance and headed to garage.
There was around 10 SUVs mainly Yukon’s and a few Suburbans
Wasn’t given the option to chose our own car and was given keys to Yukon, next to Yukon was Chevrolet Suburban went back to lady at kiosk and asked if we can have the Suburban, she handed over the keys without hesitation.
Very nice drive loads of room
Only negative is no Sat Nav.
Drop off is at Disney car care centre on Saturday then pick up another SUV for 21 days after 10 days at Disney, I will take more photos and report back then.

[APP]https://www
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 22, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
FeFe
VIP Dibber

FeFe's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We had booked a standard SUV through virgin holidays, Alamo. We did skip the counter and accelerated check in. Very easy process.
Sorry only took one pic 😔

Picked up 11th june 2022 @ MCO

June 14 New York and Summer Bay
May 17 DIBB villa and Hard Rock
March 18 Hotel Metro New York
October 18 Majorca
June 19 Dibb Villa and Hard Rock
June 2022 dibb villa and Hard Rock
June 2024 Heron Villa again hard rock and poss beach club for couple of nights
FeFe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 22, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
gonzosuperfan
Trading Disney Pins

Date: May 14 2022
Length: 3 weeks
Supplier: Alamo via DFCH

Model: GMC Yukon
Class: Full Size 7 seat

Arrived at Alamo MCO to be offered an old shape Nissan Amanda. This is the worst of the Full Size cars available which I rejected out of hand. I asked if the they any Yukons or Tahoes but the attendant said no. I was then given the keys to a well used high mileage Infinity QX80. No CarPlay or cooled seats, basically the same as the old Armada but with different badges on. Back to the desk I go. I’m probably coming across as too fussy but when I’ve paid over £1200 for car hire I want something perfect! A miracle then happens- the attendant produces keys to a GMC Yukon! It was perfect!

All the features you could want, loads of space and huge presence on the road. It’s was extremely comfortable and had a nice turn of pace for such a big car. It also achieved an average of 17MPG which I thought wasn’t too bad.

gonzosuperfan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 22, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Nublar
Trying for More Ears

Nublar's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Date: June 23rd
Length: 1week

Model: Nissan Armada
Class: Full Size 7 seat

No pictures of this unfortunately but wasn't given an option at MCO, only 5 Armadas in the row. Found it to be very thirsty and quite a heavy drive.

Date: June 30th
Length: 2 weeks

Model: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Class: Standard SUV

Row was full of intermediate SUVs bar the Jeep which we took. Attendant didn't really want to know and pretty much said "that's all we've got". Asked for an Explorer but "they don't get cars for people". The Jeep was actually a really nice drive, full leather, reversing camera etc. Was able to fit 5 large cases, 3 small cases and 2 rucksacks for the airport run too!

Lake Davenport 2008, Lake Davenport 2010, Chatham Circle 2013, West Coast and Vegas 2014, Indian Point 2015, New York 2016, Emerald Island (Dad's 60th Halloween Surprise) and Cali 2017, High Grove Villa 2022
Nublar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 22, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
bosshogg
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Standard SUV from Dollar / Thrifty desk MCO side B.

Plenty to choose from with a full line, but all very similar models. GMC Terrains , Ford Escapes and some older mini vans.

Chosen Ford Escape 2.0L EcoBoost SEL. 22K miles with a couple of rental wounds.

Turned out to be perfect for the 4 of us , with an occasional 5th person.
Took 2 x large cases , 2 x medium cases ( read mine and my son's 🙄&#128517 , a small cabin case and some hand luggage.

Spec similar to what I'm used to at home, so most functions used.
Android Auto
HD Reverse Camera
Lane Departure Warning
Blind Spot Detection Warning
Radar Cruise
Electric Seats
Heated steering wheel and seats ( not used 😅 )

Averaged 23MPG over 800 miles.

Edited at 08:11 PM.
bosshogg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 22, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
berneslai
Helping Minnie

Standard SUV hire from Thrifty at San Jose (SJC). Booked through US Car Hire (Silver inclusive) for $348.20 (£290) for 7 days.

Given a Chevy Equinox with 25k miles on clock. Boot space a bit of a squeeze with 4 medium size (65cm) cases - as this is for a road trip, we want to keep parcel shelf down so as not to have suitcases on show.

Drives like a Generic American SUV and has a weird mix of premium electronics (blind spot sensors, lane sensors and CarPlay) and naff options (FM radio). It will do for 7 days!

Edited at 06:04 PM.
berneslai is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 22, 01:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Place you picked the car up from:- Loews Portofino Bay
Catergory of car hired:- Ford Mustang Convertible or similar
Make of car you got:- Ford Mustang
Hire car company used:- Avis

Luggage included: 1 Medium hard shell case, 3 cabin cases, 1 large duffel bag hold case, 2 rucksacks.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 22, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
garryboy11
slightly serious Dibber

Class booked : Full size SUV
Class given : Luxury SUV
2019 Infinity QX80 4WD

Arrived at Melbourne on 21/7 hoping for a Tahoe, but alas all they had was an infinity QX80 with over 50k miles on the clock (Colorado plates)

Disappointed, but at least it was clean and we - just about- managed to get 5 people and 5 large cases in it

About 4 days in, I started to get the old engine warning light come on. Took it to MCO hoping for a swap - but no dice. They didn’t have a single (equivalent) car A or B side. Suggested I take it to a Firestone garage and they would re-charge Alamo. I did that as there is one 5 mins from our villa and problem sorted in 15 mins.

Have to say I’ve grown to like it. It’s really smooth to drive and has a ton of gadgets.

garryboy11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List

Tags
alamo, avis, avis preffered, budget, car hire, compact, dollar, full size, hertz, intermediate, midsize, mini van, sixt, standard, suv, thrifty