Notices

Old 25 Jan 22, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by nothingless View Post
Your plans sound awesome - I'd love to do something like this with my mom and daughter (once she's a little older, she's only 5 now haha) someday! Following along and hope you have a great time!
Thank you! It’s something you could definitely do with your mum and daughter, you don’t necessarily have to wait until she’s 19 but maybe a little older than 5 😂
I can’t wait to spend some quality time with them both 😃

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 22, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
LOU LOU DISNEY
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Have a fab time! Would you be able to report back on how easy it was to get the Monument tickets? I think I’m going to have to set myself 2 reminders!
Thank you for reading
I will indeed!
Yes I think I’ll need 2 reminders too! I’m trying to get US Capitol tour tickets too, but I think it’s a month in advance for those, but I’ll definitely let you know 😊

✨Disneyland Paris - 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17 x3, 18, 19x2, 22, 24.
✨Disneyworld Florida - 08, 14, 15, 17.
✨Disneyland Tokyo & Disney Sea - 2016.
✨Disneyland California - 2018, 2023
✨Disney Magic 🚢 - 2021
⭐️NYC - 2016, 2017, 2019.
⭐️Las Vegas, Grand Canyon -2018
⭐️San Francisco, Las Vegas & Antelope Canyon -19 ⭐️Washington DC - 22⭐️LA/Anaheim-23 ⭐️Seattle -24
LOU LOU DISNEY is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 22, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

Oh wow, thank you! I’ll watch this later when I’m at home, I need to start watching more vlogs now that travel is up and running.
Maybe I’ll swap out Founding Farmers as it does look pricey, are there any other breakfast places you would recommend?
We are not massive on formal sit down places but we like decent food. We ate at Cosi which had a view of one of the White house access points and a really good standard of food. Its a counter service though.
getcosi/location/cos...washington-dc/

Also you know there is a direct metro from Capitol out to Arlington on the orange line so avoids bonkers busy DC traffic. I would 100% recommend you get the wee tour as its really informative and Arlington Cemetery is actually quite hilly in parts.

wmata/schedules/maps/index.cfm

You are also likely to be able to see Supreme Court and the Capitol building on your night tour. Washington is a super compact city and the monuments are often very near each other. We had lunch at one of the Park service kiosks and sat in the shadow of the Lincoln memorial and took it all in. Arlington is just across the Lincoln Bridge next to Lincoln Memorial so is quite walkable from the monuments. One half of the mall is the Smithsonians and the other half is the memorials. the midway point is the Washington Monument. I was blown away by how easy and accessible it was to get to see a whole lot of things!

If you like shopping then there is a fabulous mall you can get to on the silver line called Tysons. Its amazing for a visit. There are also smaller ones like Pentagon City which are pretty decent too.

tysonscornercenter/
simon/mall/fashion-c...-pentagon-city

The hotel you have chosen is perfect slap bang in the centre so really isnt what you think as far away. You are a leisurely 35 min walk to Georgetown and if you walk down Embassy Row you get to see the Embassies of loads of countries(cunningly named eh?) Its a lovely walk

I would say the driving will be bonkers. DC is a busy city and the beltway is unlike anything I have driven on before. You may need to adjust your timings because its essentially the equivalent of our M25 and the traffic on and around the beltway is ridiculously busy at times. I have taken the Amtrak in and out the last few times I was there and this time I am flying in from Boston to Reagan.

Still a wonderful place and my favourite city in the world which is why I keep going back!
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 22, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Fab plans, we did a similar trip (DC and Philly) a couple of years ago. Old Ebbitt grill was fab and we really like Iron Hill Brewery. Also, there are some yummy cakes to be purchased at Reading Terminal Market!

We will be back in Philly in Feb to see friends (going for a long weekend) so will check out the Cheesecake Factory at the mall for you….quality control purposes obviously
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 22, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sparklegirl View Post
We are not massive on formal sit down places but we like decent food. We ate at Cosi which had a view of one of the White house access points and a really good standard of food. Its a counter service though.
getcosi/location/cos...washington-dc/

Also you know there is a direct metro from Capitol out to Arlington on the orange line so avoids bonkers busy DC traffic. I would 100% recommend you get the wee tour as its really informative and Arlington Cemetery is actually quite hilly in parts.

wmata/schedules/maps/index.cfm

You are also likely to be able to see Supreme Court and the Capitol building on your night tour. Washington is a super compact city and the monuments are often very near each other. We had lunch at one of the Park service kiosks and sat in the shadow of the Lincoln memorial and took it all in. Arlington is just across the Lincoln Bridge next to Lincoln Memorial so is quite walkable from the monuments. One half of the mall is the Smithsonians and the other half is the memorials. the midway point is the Washington Monument. I was blown away by how easy and accessible it was to get to see a whole lot of things!

If you like shopping then there is a fabulous mall you can get to on the silver line called Tysons. Its amazing for a visit. There are also smaller ones like Pentagon City which are pretty decent too.

tysonscornercenter/
simon/mall/fashion-c...-pentagon-city

The hotel you have chosen is perfect slap bang in the centre so really isnt what you think as far away. You are a leisurely 35 min walk to Georgetown and if you walk down Embassy Row you get to see the Embassies of loads of countries(cunningly named eh?) Its a lovely walk

I would say the driving will be bonkers. DC is a busy city and the beltway is unlike anything I have driven on before. You may need to adjust your timings because its essentially the equivalent of our M25 and the traffic on and around the beltway is ridiculously busy at times. I have taken the Amtrak in and out the last few times I was there and this time I am flying in from Boston to Reagan.

Still a wonderful place and my favourite city in the world which is why I keep going back!
This is all fab thank you very much, I have noted down Cosi. We don’t always like table service places either, quite happy with a mix!

Good to know about the train that goes straight from the Capitol to Arlington, will probably be quicker and easier than an Uber.

I’m glad you have said our hotel is in a good location, we don’t mind walking at all I just didn’t want it to be too far away.
Looking on the maps, the city really does look very compact but I’m sure we’ll be doing plenty of steps during the day!

My friend told me about that Mall and said it’s a must so we’ll try and squeeze it into the plans.

I’ve read that driving in DC is bonkers but when booking I wasn’t sure what the final plan would look like and we want to meet up with my friend who lives in Maryland so might possibly drive out to hers one evening. We live in Greater London and I am quite often driving in the city and the M25 so I’m hoping I’m fairly used to terrible driving and traffic 😂

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 22, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Lizzim View Post
Fab plans, we did a similar trip (DC and Philly) a couple of years ago. Old Ebbitt grill was fab and we really like Iron Hill Brewery. Also, there are some yummy cakes to be purchased at Reading Terminal Market!

We will be back in Philly in Feb to see friends (going for a long weekend) so will check out the Cheesecake Factory at the mall for you….quality control purposes obviously
Thank you! I’m glad you enjoyed Ebbitt Grill and Iron Hill Brewery as the menu looks great. Cakes always go down well too!

Oh fab, if you could taste test the Orange Chicken and Cinnabon Cheesecake for me that’d be great 😉😂

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 25 Jan 22, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindsk
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

I’m definitely going to follow your adventures! It sounds like an amazing trip!
We (DH and I) are hoping to go to Washington DC for a week in sept for our 50ths.
Hadn’t really planned anything other than the main sites in the city, but now Harper’s Ferry is on my list (love zip lining and the video was really cute)
Have an amazing time, I’m looking forwards to following your girls’ trip 😍
Lindsk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 22, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

This is all fab thank you very much, I have noted down Cosi. We don’t always like table service places either, quite happy with a mix!

Good to know about the train that goes straight from the Capitol to Arlington, will probably be quicker and easier than an Uber.

I’m glad you have said our hotel is in a good location, we don’t mind walking at all I just didn’t want it to be too far away.
Looking on the maps, the city really does look very compact but I’m sure we’ll be doing plenty of steps during the day!

My friend told me about that Mall and said it’s a must so we’ll try and squeeze it into the plans.

I’ve read that driving in DC is bonkers but when booking I wasn’t sure what the final plan would look like and we want to meet up with my friend who lives in Maryland so might possibly drive out to hers one evening. We live in Greater London and I am quite often driving in the city and the M25 so I’m hoping I’m fairly used to terrible driving and traffic 😂
It will be a walk in the park if you are used to London. It was insane! One final thing is get the train in Arlington because its actually really hilly inside and very steep in bits. The metro is brilliant and you can actually get it out to Tysons as well. Its really efficient and I felt very safe on it even when I travelled as a lone female.

You will walk for miles but I felt like I was on a film set as everything was so familiar from movies or tv shows. I cant wait till I am back in early November please add pics here when you go so I can live another trip through your guys ha ha
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 22, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
This looks like it's going to be a fab girls road trip - will you watch Thelma and Louise before you go?

Seriously, you're packing a lot in, but then I wouldn't expect anything less. I love the itinerary for DC, I hope you enjoy it as much as we did, it's a shame you can't book up the Capitol tour though, we really enjoyed it. I'm also interested to see your report on Philadelphia as it looks like a great city.

I bet the weather will be fab at Easter too, I'm guessing similar to the mild temps we had in October.

DC is such a walkable city and so much to see and do. I can't wait to read all about it

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 22, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
florida addict
Imagineer

florida addict's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Looks like my May work trip to DC may now expand to Philly as well. So interested in your updates to help me with things to do
Thanks