Notices

Old 20 Feb 22, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

ARIZONA 2022: A National Park Road Trip - Day 2 The Rodeo

The night was a bit long. I was asleep by about 10pm but woke up just before 4am. I struggled to get back to sleep but did eventually - around 7ish! I think I slept for another 90 minutes which wasn't too bad overall.

After showers we headed out to breakfast! Denny's - thankfully there was one just 5 minutes away. O has become the expert navigator (just as well as I am hopeless with finding my way!)

There was only ever going to be one thing to have - the Grand Slam breakfast (eggs easy over, hash browns, toast and pancakes) with copious amounts of coffee

O had the chocolate banana pancakes which came also with eggs and hash browns. He also had a smoothie.

The bill came to $29 + tip which wasn't too bad! We waddled out and declared that lunch would not be needed! There was a target next door which we went in to get water and treats. I got mint oreo thins, mini creme eggs (can't get them in France) and some crisps. O got some cereal bars. We came back to the room to drop things off before heading out for the day!

When researching what to do in Phoenix I couldn't find a stand out attraction. I didn't want to drive far as the day before was a long day. Plus there was the added fun of jet lag.

I then came across a Rodeo organised by the local Gay and Lesbian association. It sounded fun, was in Phoenix and neither of us had been to a Rodeo before. And at $15 a ticket it seemed a steal.

We arrived about 11am and paid $5 to park. There was quite a few people there already but crowds increased as the day wore on. We got ourselves some water and had a look around the stalls. One advantage of traveling light is that I really don't have any space too buy anything!

We saw lots of different types of Rodeo- some fairly traditional, some local ones. I can say that most participants were amateurs but everything was done with a lot of humor and enjoyment. The crowd clapped and cheered and we really enjoyed ourselves! It was definitely the right activity for the day! The temperature was in the high 20s, the arena was covered so we didn't get burnt and the atmosphere was really positive!

At about 4pm, after we had seen the bull riding and then a local drag Queen team steer riding event we called it a day to come back for a bit of a rest before dinner!

I managed a nap - O was on waking up duty so I didn't sleep all night!

Several weeks ago O mentioned he was missing cheesecake in his life - not a very subtle hint! There are several Cheesecake Factories in Arizona but mainly in Phoenix. So if we wanted one, then it was tonight or never!

So after my nap we set off to the nearest one. After about 10 minutes there low tyre pressure warming came on. We stopped at the nearest garage. O had never put air into tyres but thankfully I had. The rear right one was at 18 ppi so I filled it up to 33 (as per the user manual). I also called Avis who said if we have anymore issues to call them - they checked with me that there was a spare and said if it happens again (I hope not) then they will send someone out to change it. I hope not as we are leaving for the Grand Canyon in the morning.

When we got to the Cheesecake Factory there was a hour wait for a table but they said we could grab one at the bar if one became free which happened just as they spoke.

We had discussed our tactics and decided to share nachos and then have a cheesecake each. We remembered not being able to finish them when we had eaten at the beach in Dubai! It was the right decision!

The nachos were perfect! Though filling. Goodness knows how only one person eats them - especially as they are just an appetizer

O asked for advice on a chocolate cheesecake and the server suggested one (not sure which one though! ) He loved it but despite our tactic still couldn't finish it!

I had the key lime one - also delicious but very rich and despite O helping out it still came home in a doggy bag!

O managed to put the wrong number in as our address so getting home took a bit longer (especially as he did it twice! ). We were in bed not long after! Tomorrow is the start of the road trip!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 22, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 20 Feb 22 10:18 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 22, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Something entirely different but looks like a fab day out and the food looks delicious 😀 hope the tyre holds up 🤞🏼
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 22, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

A fab first day, hope you have no more problems with your tyre.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 22, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A good first day looks like the Rodeo was fun!

Some nice food too

Joan
Old 20 Feb 22, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
VIP Dibber

Am I the only one who was examining both menus to imagine what I'd have!

The rodeo looked fab! Sometimes, amateur events are more fun - it's like everyone's in it together.

Keep on having fun (and lots of lovely food!) in this quality time with O.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside

Edited at 05:12 PM.
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 22, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

What a fabulous day - the rodeo looked like a lot of fun to watch.
Cheesecake looks delicious!
Stardust5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 22, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

I am so enjoying reading the menus and deciding what I fancy (all of it 😂 )

The rodeo sounds brilliant fun, it reminds me of the ones that the Ewings used to go to in Dallas 😂Such an authentic attraction to experience too.

The cheesecakes look amazing, it’s such a good job that calories don’t count on holiday 🤣
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 22, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
The rodeo sounds great fun and was definitely a bargain.

Got to love a visit to the Cheesecake Factory. We can never finish the cheesecake either. 😂
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 22, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Rodeo looks like great fun and you certainly ate well! Hope there’s no more car trouble
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List