Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 6 Apr 22, 07:16 AM  
Link to this Post
mazzadee
slightly serious Dibber

Gluten-free vegetarian in need of help!

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in October and have been advised that going gluten-free could help. I am trying to find something quick I can eat for breakfast. I have tried gf cereal and bread and it was awful. I have been eating waffles with beans or scrambled egg but I’m already bored with that. If anyone has any good gf vegetarian ideas or recipes I would be very grateful.
Old 6 Apr 22, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
shona
Apprentice Imagineer

I like the granola with yoghurt and fruit, or genius crumpets with Nutella which I have on a weekend. Also like the gf quick porridge and have with frozen fruit and warm in the microwave
shona is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 22, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I like the paleo food co cereal, comes in a few varieties all GF and low carb, I tend to have a spoonful stirred into fat free greek yoghurt.

I know you are veggie but do you eat fish? I try to make most of my meals myself.

Quick lunch ideas- nairns do lovely GF oat cakes with seeds (I'm low carb so only have 2 at a time), top with avocado or mozzarella and tomatoes, small handful of graze nuts.

I do a lot of homemade soups including pea & mint, tomato and chilli, butternut squash.

Omelette or frittata with variety of veggie fillings.

Cauliflower cheese with dijon mustard and caramelised shallots.

Halloumi, roasted veg and chickpeas tray bake.
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 22, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We love breakfast burritos. You can use a gf wrap and pop scrambled eggs, red peppers, avocado, cheese and onion in it. Honestly you could use anything you had in the fridge as a filling, they don’t take long to make and you can have so many variations too. Lovely and filling.

Also if you don’t like gf wraps, you could make an egg wrap, just like a thin eggs crepe and pop all the filling inside that instead.

Edited at 08:04 AM.
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 22, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
mazzadee
slightly serious Dibber

Great ideas thanks to everyone for posting. I will definitely be getting more adventurous from now on. As always I appreciate the help.
Old 7 Apr 22, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Warburton make a lovely GF tiger loaf and a sourdough loaf. Nairn do some lovely oatcake based biscuits.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 22, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

It's trial & error with the breakfast cereals. I use the GO Free rice crispies by Nestle. Warburtons/Genius crumpets with jam/lemon curb. I detest GF pancakes. Trial & error again on bread. Eggs/fruit/yoghurt or my fav rice cakes with peanut butter.
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 22, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Lots of lovely recommendations for food so I just wanted to say, I had a complete thyroidectomy some years ago and struggled with getting my level of thyroxine right afterwards for some years. I was constantly had hypothyroidism despite being on a high dose. Going gluten free was recommended to me and oh my word, it was fantastic. My endocrinologist couldn’t believe the difference in me, it seemed to just reset my body. I’m not gluten free anymore and apart from a little blip have been great since. It’s well worth giving it a go.👍🏻
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 22, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
slightly serious Dibber

My daughter is GF and she tried lot’s of bread before she settled on the ones she likes. Which is now normally Warburtons or Genius. She likes granola and yogurt for breakfast.
2010 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 22, 01:11 AM  
Link to this Post
mazzadee
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
Lots of lovely recommendations for food so I just wanted to say, I had a complete thyroidectomy some years ago and struggled with getting my level of thyroxine right afterwards for some years. I was constantly had hypothyroidism despite being on a high dose. Going gluten free was recommended to me and oh my word, it was fantastic. My endocrinologist couldn’t believe the difference in me, it seemed to just reset my body. I’m not gluten free anymore and apart from a little blip have been great since. It’s well worth giving it a go.👍🏻
That’s great to hear. I have been slowly increasing my thyroxin for six months and it’s been really tough. I know I still have a way to go before I get it right and any positive outcomes really helps me to have hope that I will feel well again. Thank you