Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 14 Apr 22, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Imagineer

Can I do this ?

So an yet another attempt to reduce food costs /waste and save time I have doubled up the quantity of a slow cooker curry .
It was made with fresh chicken but I plan to freeze what is leftover .
Can I then re heat in the slow cooker once defrosted or is there a better/safer way to do it
Im not good at reheating etc as I worry about food poisoning etc .
I know lots of people do it though just wondering what’s best ?
inky1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 22, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

Google says no, food doesn't reach a high enough temp to kill off any bacteria. Slow cooking is a prolonged process so does but reheating is quicker & doesn't.
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 22, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Imagineer

So best do it in the oven then.
inky1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 22, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
m2k00
Apprentice Imagineer

I batch cook and freeze all the time. To reheat food i use the microwave and ensure it’s piping hot. You could though use the oven.
m2k00 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 22, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

Another who batch cooks. Somethings I reheat in the oven ie lasagne. Others on the hob ie curry. Not a microwave fan but DH uses it for chilli etc
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 22, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

I always reheat in the microwave apart from lasagne which goes in the oven.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 22, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

pretty much all of my food is batch cooked and frozen. i havent been sick yet, and ive been doing this for years... I'm even hoping to start a business doing some of these pre-made meals, where you just warm them up at home and add rice/pasta/sides that dont freeze well.

i tend to store things in the plastic food tubs you usually get from takeaways. for most things like curries/stews/bolognese/etc, i microwave the frozen tub (with the lid cracked slightly open) for around 5 minutes on full power (not defrost mode - i rarely ever use that mode)

this should be enough to melt most of the tub. i then leave it to stand for 10 mins (or longer, i regularly do this an hour or two in advance and just leave the tub in the microwave till its needed) and then decant it into a pan, and heat on medium-low on the hob until it's ready

some of the food i make it tubs of base sauces, and i just add in fresh veg and stuff at the end, especially if its veg that you want still al dente - i make the base sauce (see the crry guy's base sauce recipe, its a great starting point, where you can quickly and easily turn it into a huge number of curry types just by adding a few more ingredients and your choice of meat/etc. i make a big panfull of this, decant into tubs, cool and freeze. then i make a full curry out of whats left in the pan. which i then also take out a tub or two of the finished curry for the freezer.

its only marginally more effort to make three or four times as much as you need (just a bit of extra veg prep/chopping time and an extra tin or two of tomatoes, and more meat than you would use for a single meal) and one session making something can result in up to 5 tubs for the freezer, as well as the meal that evening. if there's a lot left over, than gets packed up for the freezer too!

as long as things are reheated properly and you take care to avoid the danger zone with certain meats and things, and you freeze things as soon as they are cooled (rather than letting them sit in the pan or fridge for a day or two before freezing) you'll be fine. get a thermometer or three to make sure food is properly cooked too. i love my thermapen instant read thermometer, but the cheap knockoffs are ok too, they just arent quite as fast to show the results - a remote probe oven thermometer is essential for cooking large joints of meat in the oven/bbq, and an infra red speed gun style one (like you get for taking your forehead temp for covid!) for seeing if your pan/oil/etc is hot enough

HTH
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 22, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
I always reheat in the microwave apart from lasagne which goes in the oven.
good point. lasagna can be tricky in the microwave. it can end up crispy and a weird texture in places. i always defrost it in the fridge overnight, and then reheat gently in the oven at 160 for half an hour or so. same for pies (although if they have uncooked filling, they go in at 180-200)
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 22, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Imagineer

You all sound so organised .
Thanks for the tips .
Old 15 Apr 22, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

also, keep a sharpie in your cutlery drawer or somewhere equally convenient, ALWAYS label and date your food before it goes in the freezer, otherwise, in two years time, you'll have some unidentified freezer burned tub of stuff that you cant tell whether its chilli, curry, ragu, pasta sauce or some sweet pie filling or something!