Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 17 Apr 22, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

New York crowds in December

I have seen a good price for New York from 16th to 20th December, which appeals as my birthday is 20th and I've often wanted to try being away for it.

What will crowds be like at this time? Will it be manic, or are a lot of the Christmas tourist crowds visiting earlier in the month?

My husband is now great with crowds, so trying to work out if its a good idea or not.

Thanks!
Old 17 Apr 22, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We have been 4 times during December , early to mid .
Once the Rockefeller Tree is lit and the window shows start it can be very busy but the atmosphere is great . Somewhere like Times Square is pretty quiet first thing but after mid morning it’s very busy , and you really need to be vigilant, it’s no longer somewhere that we would go , just pass through.
Yes it’s a busy month tourist wise compared to other months but New York is “Christmas “ and to experience it in December is an amazing and unforgettable time 🎄
WIGGYSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 22, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We have been twice now in December and its always been very busy. I'm not a great shopper but walked into Macy's through one door and straight through and out another, it was so busy. We found the touristy stuff ok crowd wise, so obviously most people were there for Christmas shopping. I must admit though I loved it, the atmosphere was great, Sally Army on every corner singing and chestnuts roasting, ice skating, rockefeller tree. If it all gets too much just head to Central park, people watch from a bench and watch the ice skaters. I'm tempted to book now. 😊
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 22, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by enjibenji View Post
We have been twice now in December and its always been very busy. I'm not a great shopper but walked into Macy's through one door and straight through and out another, it was so busy. We found the touristy stuff ok crowd wise, so obviously most people were there for Christmas shopping. I must admit though I loved it, the atmosphere was great, Sally Army on every corner singing and chestnuts roasting, ice skating, rockefeller tree. If it all gets too much just head to Central park, people watch from a bench and watch the ice skaters. I'm tempted to book now. 😊
And that’s what happens when we Dibb , we end up booking another trip 😂
Central Park is a great space to escape, although during our 2017 December trip we spent time in there watching Keanu Reeves filming one of the John Wick films 🎥

Edited at 06:27 PM.
WIGGYSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 22, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
deeley
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
I have seen a good price for New York from 16th to 20th December, which appeals as my birthday is 20th and I've often wanted to try being away for it.

What will crowds be like at this time? Will it be manic, or are a lot of the Christmas tourist crowds visiting earlier in the month?

My husband is now great with crowds, so trying to work out if its a good idea or not.

Thanks!

Awww fab, we’ve also booked for 17-21 so I can have my birthday there on 18th too!
Covid cancelled Aug 2020!
Back to NYC Dec 22
deeley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 22, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Thanks everyone, I think I might bite the bullet, and grumpy bum will have to suck it up, cos it’s for my birthday

I just need to make some decisions around flights, as there are some good business fares for our dates, but economy = more spends
Old 18 Apr 22, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
deeley
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
Thanks everyone, I think I might bite the bullet, and grumpy bum will have to suck it up, cos it’s for my birthday

I just need to make some decisions around flights, as there are some good business fares for our dates, but economy = more spends

Ooh I say do it, but I’m biased!
If you do book it, come back and tell us! I’m excited for you already
Covid cancelled Aug 2020!
Back to NYC Dec 22
deeley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 22, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

New York at Christmas - It doesn't get any better IMO. The absolute best time to visit...
MarkUK is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 22, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
porridge
Apprentice Imagineer

We went last Dec (18-23). It was our first time. The only time it was crazy busy, was around the Rockefeller tree at night. I wouldn’t advise that! Everything else was fine. I advise prebooking 9/11 and top of the rock, as the lines were long (top of the rock the line was an hour to buy tickets, then you had to wait 30 mins when you returned at your reservation time - we ended up booking online)
Dec was great though. Plus you can see basketball and ice hockey, Macy’s santaland (excellent! You must book. We got the first slot, and had no wait at all).
porridge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 22, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Do Brooklyn bridge so your walking back over towards Manhattan at dusk to see the city lighting up, also Empire state and Top of the rock late afternoon so you can see it in the light and dark. Oh and lunch in Grand central station, you got me started now 😂
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List