Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 27 Apr 22, 07:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Platinum Jubilee Afternoon Tea Menu

We are going to have some friends/neighbours round for afternoon tea for the Platinum Jubilee. This is what I have planned so far:

Victoria Sponge
Scones with jam and clotted cream
Coronation Chicken Sandwiches
Homemade Sausage Rolls
Fondant Fancies (might get these from Betty’s)
Smoked salmon blinis
Strawberries
Champagne
Gin/tonic
Pimms
Tea

This would be for 8 adults and 5 teenagers. Is there anything you would add that I may have missed? I’ve got cake stands and bunting and I thought I would do lots of mini vases of fresh flowers, fingers crossed the weather is ok.
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 22, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

What a great idea! I was thinking of going away but it’s all creeping round so fast I need some ideas for home. X DD is doing a baking competition for the jubilee with school so she will also cook her special recipie!

My sister had a ‘big’ birthday during one of the breaks in lockdown and had an Alice in wonderland tea party, we all had a great time and garden looked fab all dressed up! I love a garden party!

Edited at 07:37 AM.
Bootrip2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 22, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Brock
Excited about Disney

Coronation Chicken I believe this was first used when she was appointed.
Brock is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 22, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Coronation Chicken I believe this was first used when she was appointed.
I used the original recipe on VE Day. It's how my grandmother always made it and it was amazing!
Not sure if it was just the nostalgia but it was a million miles from yellow curried mayo stirred into chicken.
Delicious, but so bad for you

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 22, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I was thinking about asking if other people were having a party for the jubilee and what they were making so I'm really pleased you started this thread.

I like your ideas, I love coronation chicken so it's definitely on my list too, plus scones, sausage rolls and Pimms. Also I really like chapel down gin, they are a British company based in Kent and they do fab sparkling wine. I've been trying to think of British delicacies! Lol!
Pork pie or gala pie, but I'm not a fan of making this sort of pastry
Eton Mess
Trifle
Cheese and pineapple on sticks!

I hope you will post photos! Also, planning on decorating with bunting, but that's not my strong suit.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.

Edited at 06:41 PM.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 22, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
I used the original recipe on VE Day. It's how my grandmother always made it and it was amazing!
Not sure if it was just the nostalgia but it was a million miles from yellow curried mayo stirred into chicken.
Can you share the recipie please?
Old 27 Apr 22, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
Sounds amazing!
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 22, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I was thinking about asking if other people were having a party for the jubilee and what they were making so I'm really pleased you started this thread.

I like your ideas, I love coronation chicken so it's definitely on my list too, plus scones, sausage rolls and Pimms. Also I really like chapel down gin, they are a British company based in Kent and they do fab sparkling wine. I've been trying to think of British delicacies! Lol!
Pork pie or gala pie, but I'm not a fan of making this sort of pastry
Eton Mess
Trifle
Cheese and pineapple on sticks!

I hope you will post photos! Also, planning on decorating with bunting, but that's not my strong suit.
I know you love a party Abby, I am so pleased for your suggestions! 💝 I think I might do mini Elton Messes or individual trifles as the big ones look messy very fast but they are delicious and very British!

My local wine merchant introduced me to a lovely British sparkling wine, so that will definitely be on the list. I’m happy to share pics of the table decorations, fingers crossed we have lovely weather and we can have it in the garden. 😆🥂🍾 I can’t wait to see your pics too! 💖
Old 27 Apr 22, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I’m doing much the same as Sparksy but making summer pudding the tea will be earl gray kir Royal etc
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 22, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
What a great idea! I was thinking of going away but it’s all creeping round so fast I need some ideas for home. X DD is doing a baking competition for the jubilee with school so she will also cook her special recipie!

My sister had a ‘big’ birthday during one of the breaks in lockdown and had an Alice in wonderland tea party, we all had a great time and garden looked fab all dressed up! I love a garden party!
Oooh I can’t wait to see your daughters special recipe. 😁 I’m with you, I love a garden party too, fingers crossed for good weather. Xx