Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 13 May 22, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Jubilee BBQ desserts

So, you were all so helpful with the pasta salad recipes I am looking for a bit of help with a trifle recipe now.😁
I was thinking of doing small scones with jam, clotted cream and fresh strawberries and need another dessert to go with it.
I am trying to pre prepare as much as possible so that I can enjoy time in the garden with everyone and not be stuck in the kitchen as I normally am at these things. DH is the BBQ chef so he has that completely under control.
I thought about maybe doing a summer trifle as I can make this the day before. Does anyone have any favourite recipes they wouldn’t mind sharing? I have seen the beautiful lemon amaretti that is the official Jubilee pudding but it looks wayyyy too much faff for me. I like the idea of the Swiss roll in the bottom though.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 22, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

If i do a summer trifle i make mine as usual but use frozen mixed berry’s then fresh berries on top
For outside dinning i make individual ones in my clear plastic
Wine or cocktail glasses

Edited at 08:15 AM.
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 22, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
If i do a summer trifle i make mine as usual but use frozen mixed berry’s then fresh berries on top
For outside dinning i make individual ones in my clear plastic
Wine or cocktail glasses
Do you bring those back Helen? There a real shortage here (are they banned or something) whereas the ones in US are really lovely.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 22, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
So, you were all so helpful with the pasta salad recipes I am looking for a bit of help with a trifle recipe now.😁
I was thinking of doing small scones with jam, clotted cream and fresh strawberries and need another dessert to go with it.
I am trying to pre prepare as much as possible so that I can enjoy time in the garden with everyone and not be stuck in the kitchen as I normally am at these things. DH is the BBQ chef so he has that completely under control.
I thought about maybe doing a summer trifle as I can make this the day before. Does anyone have any favourite recipes they wouldn’t mind sharing? I have seen the beautiful lemon amaretti that is the official Jubilee pudding but it looks wayyyy too much faff for me. I like the idea of the Swiss roll in the bottom though.
I always use swiss roll in the bottom of trifles. Then pour fruit juice and/or sherry so it's wet but not soggy. Layer of raspberries layer of banana and cold lazy custard over the top.
You can always rely on me for easy options you know that. X

For children's parties I use tinned fruit and jelly over the swiss roll.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 22, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

I love a trifle! I do tend to make all the elements from scratch but you could easily buy stuff for it.
I made a clementine and cardamom one once for a TV show but actually I prefer summer fruits.

I tend to set the fruit in jelly, then add a layer of Swiss roll and pop it up the sides, fill the Cavity with custard and more berries then top with chantilly cream, mini biscuits, meringues and fruit
I’ll find a pic

Here’s the clementine one

And here’s a summer fruits version
In progress…

And done!

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973

Edited at 10:59 AM.
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 22, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

I know it's not British but this is our favourite trifle type dessert

bbcgoodfood/recipes/...e-trifle-slice

The panetonne gives a loves citrus zest, the boozy marsala balances really well with the light creamy topping.

I don't do the freezing bit at the end, just put it in the fridge and have it the next day.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 22, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We have visitors tomorrow and I’m making a Eaton mess, strawberry’s cut up with sugar, ready made meringues and whipped cream kept in the fridge. My daughters going to put it together when we need it. Sorry re read and I haven’t made a trifle in years but I might buy one x
Old 13 May 22, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Yes Sue i did
They are reusable but not dishwasher safe i brough the wine glasses , champagne flutes cocktail glasses highball glasses and a jug got them in Home goods 8 of each i think in total it was around the $50 mark but I’ve used them since lockdown began several times
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 22, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
I love a trifle! I do tend to make all the elements from scratch but you could easily buy stuff for it.
I made a clementine and cardamom one once for a TV show but actually I prefer summer fruits.

I tend to set the fruit in jelly, then add a layer of Swiss roll and pop it up the sides, fill the Cavity with custard and more berries then top with chantilly cream, mini biscuits, meringues and fruit
I’ll find a pic

Here’s the clementine one

And here’s a summer fruits version
In progress…

And done!
Oh my days they look AMAZING!
Please tell me the TV show was Bake Off... ?
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 22, 03:49 AM  
Link to this Post
thehails
Dibbing with Tink

I make a Black Forest truffle which always goes down well.

Chocolate Swiss roll
1 or 2 Tins of black cherry pie filling

Melt a big bar of chocolate & mix it into the custard

Too with whipped cream then decorate with chocolate buttons

Quick, easy & yummy

I also do a warm Jamaican triffle

Jamaican ginger cake chopped up - I sone times soak it with a little Malibu
Tinned or fresh pineapple
Custard
Then make a meringue topping & bake in the oven until golden - it’s a firm family favourite
thehails is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List